Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:49
I was listening to Mike Oldfield (Incantations) and my mom said it sounded like church music, and then like Christmas music.

My sister when I was listening to The Endless River said Talking Hawking sounded like if it was Stephen Hawking talking LOL. Surprisingly she said she liked "Mood for a Day" when I was listening to Fragile.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:26
My nine year old daughter loves Prog and says it is the only music that matters. My wife has no choice but to listen while in the car and likes a good bit. My friends...I think they believe I must possess some cool intelligence to follow and talk of it as much as I do. Hell, I shall take that compliment. They can't understand how can listen to such long songs without losing focus and becoming bored. Not difficult at all really.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:09
Wherever I go, I try to interest people around me in the music of my favourite band, Triumvirat, but mostly, to no avail.
        At work I get funny looks kind of like "TriumvirWHAT?" Actually, they kid me a lot, with my obsession with the band. But in terms of actually listening to them or other prog? Most of them couldn't be bothered.
              My sisters don't take an interest; they are pretty mainstream in their music taste.
               Luckily, my best friend likes prog, and will listen to it with me. Not all is accessible to him, but he does like Triumvirat and Le Orme, for example.
                I have another friend who likes progressive music, but we don't listen to it together; he is too busy watching science fiction movies, series, etc. which is ok in itself, but limiting in terms of prog appreciation.
                      My late father, who was from the generation that grew up on 1940s jazz, actually could get something out of progressive rock; my mother never heard it.
Enchlore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 19:36
Some are turned off by the length, but I've managed to make some people listen to ELP, Genesis, Yes etc. without complaining.

But the most outrageous comment came from my mother who said it was all the same thing, the rhythm doesn't change, it's a sequence that never changes. To which I was perplexed at how she could come to that conclusion but oh well.
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 19:00
They don't.  Think of it, that is.

/actually that's not true. my dad is a fan of Genesis and the Jethros

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2016 at 18:48
Your family, friends, anyone. Do they like it, dislike it, or just don't care about it? I played my sister a Genesis song once and she hated it, my mom and dad like some of it and dislike some too. Most of my friends refuse to give it a chance after I tell them the average length is 7 - 10 minutes. What about you?
User Banned for this Post
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456