Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 10:15
While Alice in Chains is by no means prog, this scene is the perfect representation of any attempt to expose the general population, my friends and coworkers included, to prog.

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 12:33
I tell people Progressive music is like classical music with varied time signatures.  You either like it or hate it!!  I love it.  Most modern music bores me as it's so bland now!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

I tell people Progressive music is like classical music with varied time signatures.  You either like it or hate it!!  I love it.  Most modern music bores me as it's so bland now!!

you really can't blame people for liking the bland tastless stuff...  for every SWilson out there putting out boring routine sh*t there is a hungry creative unknown artist/band tearing it up and giving it all they got.

You just have to dig deeper than the bandwagon popular stuff most people just seem to be into.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
thepurplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 17:50
My family can't stand it for the most part, although that being said they're pretty hardcore Floyd fanatics so with some exposure to the right artists they'd probably find some of it suitable. Can't see them ever getting on board with prog in general, though...

As for others, nah, haven't met any fellow proggers out in the wild, though I have met plenty who I share musical interests with, just not this particular kind.
SimonScowl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 12:10
Same thing they think of me. Most average humans (especially in the West, and even more so here in the U.S.) are decidedly anti-intellectual. All complexity sounds oppressive and foreboding (like school) to the untrained ear, just like 'progressive politics' or any other 'progressive' discipline requires constant study and openness. Westerners HATE THAT.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 08:21
Well, popular culture (in the developed world at least) is overwhelmingly anti-intellectual today, probably because most people nowadays work in offices rather than on the factory floor and have intellectually challenging jobs. Hardly surprising that after work, they go to the gym and not the library. If you have the head full of job-related concerns and feel tired of thinking about them all the time, you don't want to load your head with even more intellectual stuff. You want to do something different, so you go for athletic rather than intellectual pursuits in your leisure time. It tells a lot that the jobs people consider really cool are the few well-paid muscle jobs such as oilrigman.

This may be the reason why hipsters shun prog.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456