Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do you own a gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you own a gun?
    Posted: June 17 2016 at 22:44
If you own a gun (or guns), please let us know why.

I do not own a gun.  When I was growing up we had a couple of rifles for target practice (shooting cans and whatnot).

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 23:21
Who TF would own one (or more) of those things ??
And I doubt anyone would be confessing on an open site like this. Guns do not bring any good to this world.......and the (majority) of unstable individuals handling them.

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 17 2016 at 23:24
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 00:22
Some of my older friends own one, but only for protection.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 01:55
Some members have already "confessed" in the "American Politics" thread.  So I thought it would be interesting to know their reasons.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 03:10
I own firearms and I'm not "confessing" to anything. Simply by using that word you are insinuating that gun owners should be ashamed or embarrassed about their guns and I assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth.
I am qualified with and experienced with firearms and I own them because I have a right to and I just plain effing want to.

I have edited my original post because it is ridiculous to get upset about an insinuating comment.
My first firearm purchase was a 9mm semi-automatic pistol with two magazines and it was actually my wife's idea. We had three children and she was specifically concerned about home invasion. She was comfortable with me having a handgun because she knew I served in the Army and had trained with and had experience with firearms.
I started going to the shooting range to practice and familiarize myself with the new gun. I enjoyed target shooting and eventually bought a few standard six shot revolvers because they were more accurate and that's what target shooting is all about.
A friend was upgrading to a better reloading press and gave me his old set up and I started reloading because it was cheaper than buying ammo at the gun shop. I started experimenting with different powders and bullet types to increase the accuracy and manage the recoil.
So target shooting for accuracy became a hobby instead of just a way to keep in practice and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I taught all three of my children to shoot when they were young teenagers and my daughter enjoyed it as much as my two boys did.
I own twenty-one firearms (and that's not a confession). They are mostly standard revolvers but I have a few rifles and one shotgun. They are securely stored in a large gun safe that actually exceeds the state and federal requirements regarding gun safety.
I'm very serious about my firearms and strongly support legitimate gun control.

Edited by TeleStrat - June 18 2016 at 04:26
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 03:52
I don't currently own one because I live in a rental apartment. There's barely enough room to swing a sword in here.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 04:21
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I own firearms and I'm not "confessing" to anything. Simply by using that word you are insinuating that gun owners should be ashamed or embarrassed about their guns and I assure you that nothing could be farther from the truth.
I am qualified with and experienced with firearms and I own them because I have a right to and I just plain effing want to.
Furthermore, I really could not care less about anyone's opinion of me or my guns.
Settle.......
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 04:40
^  Please read my edited post 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 09:53
I own a handgun. A pistol. It was actually a gift from my mother's husband. It was his old gun. I learned to shoot with it. The reason? Well I actually think you should be able to have a gun at home. I come from a country where getting a gun legally is nigh impossible and I always considered that an affront to the damn freedom of a person to have a tool for protection at home. Especially consider how atrocious the police there were (are). 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I don't currently own one because I live in a rental apartment. There's barely enough room to swing a sword in here.
what are the laws of gun ownership in Finland q.m
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 10:06
I do not own a gun. I have some high quality kitchen knives which I keep razor sharp.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 10:13
I don't own any guns, have no desire to. I have ZERO issues with owning guns or anyone who does. My son just started an interest with shooting for pleasure, target shooting at a range. My daughter who is 29 has carried a hand gun for protection for the past 5-6 yrs, her and her husband also enjoy range shooting.

I have hunted before so have used shotguns, but my play money is used for buying vinyl and audio gear, that's my hobby.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 10:14
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I have edited my original post because it is ridiculous to get upset about an insinuating comment.
My first firearm purchase was a 9mm semi-automatic pistol with two magazines and it was actually my wife's idea. We had three children and she was specifically concerned about home invasion. She was comfortable with me having a handgun because she knew I served in the Army and had trained with and had experience with firearms.
I started going to the shooting range to practice and familiarize myself with the new gun. I enjoyed target shooting and eventually bought a few standard six shot revolvers because they were more accurate and that's what target shooting is all about.
A friend was upgrading to a better reloading press and gave me his old set up and I started reloading because it was cheaper than buying ammo at the gun shop. I started experimenting with different powders and bullet types to increase the accuracy and manage the recoil.
So target shooting for accuracy became a hobby instead of just a way to keep in practice and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I taught all three of my children to shoot when they were young teenagers and my daughter enjoyed it as much as my two boys did.
I own twenty-one firearms (and that's not a confession). They are mostly standard revolvers but I have a few rifles and one shotgun. They are securely stored in a large gun safe that actually exceeds the state and federal requirements regarding gun safety.
I'm very serious about my firearms and strongly support legitimate gun control.

Thumbs Up Clap
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 10:41
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

what are the laws of gun ownership in Finland q.m
like this k

Basically you need to convince them that you're going to use the gun for hunting or sports or some other accepted purpose and that you're relatively sane.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 12:36
I own a shotgun. To hunt. And then eat what I kill. I suppose it might also come in handy if there is an intruder breaking into my house. But I won't eat them after I've blown their heads off. Humans are too full of preservatives.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 12:54
To outgun my neighbour.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 13:29
I have a replica of an 18th century pistol, and have collected swords and daggers. The swords and daggers are not for defence, I just find them beautiful and have liked to practice with blunt swords.

I used to have an air rifle as I would practice shooting with that a lot, and enjoyed target practice while in the naval reserve. An acquaintance of mine from high school was shot and killed by the police in his sister's home when he heard a commotion, shouting and screaming, in the house and ran inside with his pellet gun which he had been using for target practice. They came because they suspected pot use, and did find some roaches.

If I lived an a farm or in the wilderness I would definitely want a rifle or shotgun. I have a friend who hunts and eats what he kills, and I'm very cool with that (mostly vegetarian myself, but I never say no to his meat).

Despite our more stringent laws on firearms, gun violence is on the rise here (not from people with permits usually). A lot of guns do find their way over the border.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 13:59
^  There are a couple of Italian companies that make excellent replicas of black powder pistols. I own a few of them and they are a lot of fun to shot but reloading is slow and messy. They also have to be cleaned thoroughly after shooting because black powder is a lot more corrosive than modern smokeless powder.
They are interesting guns and look good when displayed.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 14:01
I own them because my father gave them to me.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2016 at 14:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>