Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes democracy work? Or...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does democracy work? Or...
    Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:07
(This thread is not about the UK EU referendum but based on it) After the results from the whole UK referendum thing, I have read posts here, on twitter, and articles in several websites where people are lamenting the fact that the rural, not-well-educated part of the country had such a big say in such an important matter. I have noticed a rather interesting trend where opinion pieces actually, in not so subtle ways, argue that the election should have never been given to the people at large. 

Hidden behind this is the idea that only the elites we elect are capable of certain decisions. Is this a part of democracy? Is democracy having the people choose an elite that can decide in its stead? Or is democracy more direct and real when actual people of all types and backgrounds get to say what they think, no matter the outcome? 

I know what the books and definitions of democracy say but what do you think? Are we better with a different system or with a very limited democracy in which our only choice is that of the deciders? (a choice that is less and less free every day). Isn't this a little like oligarchy if money gets into play? 

Or should people accept the inherent flaws of democracy, including stupid results? 

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cltl4jFWEAEbnun.jpg
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:13
Democracy is, in my book, the best system, if people are educated about what they are voting for or against. And this is in my opinion the key to a well-functioning democracy. For instance, imagine ordinary people voting for players on the International Chopin Piano Competition, via text messages or something like that, from the comfort of their home.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 24 2016 at 14:14
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Luca Pacchiarini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:16
Now, changing subject, but I'm sick of the Brexit discussion....

In my opinion, the big flaw of democracy is that it forces people to accept its contrary (quick example: fascism).
Say, you are a fascist, you despise democracy, yet you can shout it in the street and gather people around you, and you are doing that by enjoying a democratic right (right of free expression).
But if you don't believe in democracy you should not, in my humble opinion, enjoy these rights.

But yeah, tough to enact.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:17
So are uneducated societies (in the western sense I assume) better off with a very very limited democracy when all they choose is the people who make decisions? Or even a full autocracy? 

And what is uneducated? When the UNITED KINGDOM is an uneducated society, who holds up to that standard? 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:17
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

(This thread is not about the UK EU referendum but based on it) After the results from the whole UK referendum thing, I have read posts here, on twitter, and articles in several websites where people are lamenting the fact that the rural, not-well-educated part of the country had such a big say in such an important matter. I have noticed a rather interesting trend where opinion pieces actually, in not so subtle ways, argue that the election should have never been given to the people at large. 

Hidden behind this is the idea that only the elites we elect are capable of certain decisions. Is this a part of democracy? Is democracy having the people choose an elite that can decide in its stead? Or is democracy more direct and real when actual people of all types and backgrounds get to say what they think, no matter the outcome? 

I know what the books and definitions of democracy say but what do you think? Are we better with a different system or with a very limited democracy in which our only choice is that of the deciders? (a choice that is less and less free every day). Isn't this a little like oligarchy if money gets into play? 

Or should people accept the inherent flaws of democracy, including stupid results? 

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”-George Carlin

All that it takes is one smart person to not vote for democracy to result in the dumb people making the law.

Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:22
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Democracy is, in my book, the best system, if people are educated about what they are voting for or against.

I agree, however this brings another question: if people are not educated enough about what they are voting, is this the fault of the pupils (the citizens) or of the teachers (the government and technocrats)?

Edited by Modrigue - June 24 2016 at 14:24
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:23
Also, democracy is only as good as the candidates running.  When you are electing the lesser of two evils versus the best options available a democratic vote probably doesn't really matter as you are getting screwed either way.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:31
You can be educated and still know nothing about politics and economics.

Churchill did say that democracy didn't seem such a good idea after having a five minute conversation with the average voter (paraphrased) but I still think it's better than the alternative.

Tha said our referendum shouldnt have happened. It was publicity stunt on the part of the tories that backfired badly. The Brtish people - educated or otherwise - know next to nothing about the mechanics of the EU and the consequences of voting the 'wrong' way on such an issue are significantly more far reaching than voting in a bad domestic government for just four years or so.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:49
If you don't mind the source being a bit left of center, CrimeThinc had an article on democracy recently that you might find interesting if you are looking at democracy seriously.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 14:55
Wow that's long for a web article. I'll read it later of course. I don't mind left-of-center sources. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 15:49
My first choice is Democracy and I have no second choice.
Does it work? So far it hasn't done too bad here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:30
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Democracy is, in my book, the best system, if people are educated
about what they are voting for or against.

I agree, however this brings another question: if people are not educated enough about what they are voting, is this the fault of the pupils (the citizens) or of the teachers (the government and technocrats)?

Agree as well, and without putting blame on people, I do think that the system/s need/s to be improved so that people are better educated when it comes to voting. Part of that is having better schools which emphasize logic that much more, amongst other things, as well as having more town halls where people can discuss these issues.

I like the idea of direct (true) democracy, though it has its pitfalls (people who are ignorant and/or only self-interested, as well as people who think very short term). At the least, I would like more direct democracy, but I think that more avenues for educating and involving the general population are needed.

I like the idea that everyone has a civic and civil social responsibility.

I often think here that it's only a democracy come voting day (we have very few referenda/ plebiscites). People feel alienated from the government, whereas I like the idea of the government being the people as much as possible. I would like it if everyone felt that they had say in legislation. I want more local community groups that have more say politically. I like to think if people felt more involved, and were more involved in the actual process of governance, then they would become more politically aware.

That said, I think one could start in small ways, and for me it starts with your family and then your community. I've been wanting to work with community associations for a long time as even in my large municipality, many people feel alienated from our local government. At least we came out in force and stopped a development which would have had a big effect on where I live.

For now we have a very limited democracy, and I would rather, if possible, rational, honest experts make the calls, but at the same time, I would like it people were involved in politics and more politically aware. I think we need a sort of oligarchy for now -- have to strike a balance.

Sorry, this is really poorly expressed, and maybe I'll edit it later.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 16:57
This is exactly the issue that the US founding fathers debated to death. They favored on the side of a democracy attenuated by strict constitutional limits, republican representation, having a Senate composed of the elite, electoral colleges, etc. The optimistic say this was to prevent the type of thing that just occurred in the UK, but the cynical would counter it was to protect the power structure of the wealthy landowning white men. I don't think much about this debate has changed in the intervening years.

I'm not a proponent of democracy. However, I do take issue with question itself. What does it mean for a system of government to work? Basically all objective measures of well being has been on the rise since the domination of liberal democracies so maybe they're doing something right. It seems a little silly to me to think that there is any political system that works if by this we mean some system that won't be wrought with systemic shortcomings. All societal organizations will be. I think the track record for democracies is reasonably good.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 21:25
Utopia should never and must never exist.  It may not even be possible, thank goodness.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 01:03
Utopia is not possible because one mans utopia is another mans hell on earth, and by definition utopia is supposed to be near perfect for all.

Where there are winners there will inevitably be losers. Not everyones needs and desires can be catered for. The EU will ultimately fail as a poliitcal project because it is trying to impose a collectivist principle on people instead of nurturing a culture where the individual has the opportunity to flourish. Regardless of what anyone thnks about this, the human instinct will always be to put themselves and those most dear to them first. If the desire is for a different type of society then that will need to be imposed by dictatorial means.

That's why in relative terms the US has succeeded as a union of states.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 03:39
The fine line between uneducated and not indoctrinated continues to blur.
Songs are like tightly budgeted meals
Nobodies doing anything new or even real
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 07:19
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Democracy is, in my book, the best system, if people are educated about what they are voting for or against.

Obviously the fault of the teachers.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 09:26
Nothing wrong with the democratic principle as such but a lot of things wrong with the idea of a 50%+1 vote simple majority.  If democracy is to indeed represent the will of the people, that percentage should be higher, more like 70-80%.  Maybe such a system would not be practical for electing representatives to positions be it in local government or parliament but certainly should apply in a referendum IF you do not want the results of the referendum to tear a nation apart.  In the Brexit case, the options should really have been status quo and leave the EU (wherein say a 70-80% vote is required to upend the status quo).  Now that will still leave a substantial minority that is disgruntled with the outcome (IF leave had still won, which it would not have as per Thursday's voting) but at least it would be less fractious.  Now UK has just split right down the middle.  I am not taking sides here because it's not for me to say what's best for the Brits from the outside but it is the polarisation that worries me.  A situation that could have been avoided by requiring greater support for such a radical change (as it ought to unless you really enjoy the idea of nationwide upheaval).  

But as for the idea of mounting education as a barrier, no, that would be elitist to the core.  Educated people quite naturally forget that their/our education is a privilege.  Of course we don't need to feel apologetic for lazy bums who were put through school and chose fun and frolic instead but there are those who are too poor to afford education and the least a democratic system can do is afford them a voice in the process so politicians think about them too and not just the privileged elite. Looking at it in purely economic terms, it may of course appear to be a sound idea to shut out the poor and the inconvenient requirement of uplifting them but democracy is more a political than an economic choice. 

Edited by rogerthat - June 25 2016 at 09:42
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:05
Democracy all the way......except for voting for band inclusion here at PA.

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - June 25 2016 at 10:53
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>