Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Obscure Prog Band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Aled91 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aled91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 01:15
Check out these:

Jeavestone
Il Rumore Bianco
La Coscienza di Zeno
The Secret Sits
Promenade
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 18:26
I can mention countless bands , as for instance the Norwegian band DEJA-VÚ and his only album "Between the Leaves" from 1976, the Swiss band CARDEILHAC "Same" from 1971, other Swiss band FRIENDSHIP TIME "Same" from 1976, the North-american band ETHO'S and his 2 albums "Ardour" from 1975, "Open Up" from 1977 etc... etc.... etc...
comascape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comascape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:42
Would Beggars Opera be obscure? If so, probably them.
"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
-Salvador Dali
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:59
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

5uu's
Simon Steensland
U Totem

Now those are good bands
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrapin Station Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:22
Well, it's difficult to say who is obscure or not.  Van der Graaf Generator or even Gentle Giant are going to be obscure to most "normal folks," whereas I'd not assume that I could mention anyone that a significant percentage of progarchives regulars won't be familiar with.

At any rate, a couple handfuls of favs who are less well-known than Gentle Giant Wink:

4/3 de Trio
5uu's
7for4
Kids Eat Crayons
Kombinat M
Naikaku
Nukli
Simon Steensland
U Totem
Zs
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 08:35
I love obscure American Prog from the 70's:

Arabesque
Babylon
Earthrise
Easter Island
Surprise
Lift 
Maelstrom
Quill
The Load
Mirthrandir
Pentwater
Pre
Hands
Ethos 
Hands
Chakra

and, of course (though less obscure):

Happy The Man
Starcastle
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2016 at 15:52
A new one I've just come across - Evership.

Brazilian bands A Bolha and Blue Mammoth (latter not so obscure though).

Poland's Loonypark, Love De Vice and Millenium have varying degrees of obscurity I suppose.

But Evership is the one that really needs to be on PA.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 15:20
The Shiver, East of Eden, and Ramases to name a few.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 06:39
.O.rang, Camberwell Now, From Monument to Masses
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 10:56
T2 maybe............Patto maybe.........
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 05:23
Cue the fictional band names citation. The Evangelical Rollermeister Coalition. I like their earlier stuff.

Otherwise Andromeda (who had Zeppelin and Sabbath, 2 also obscure artists) warm up for 'em. Another name that might not be a household object is High Tide. Might as well mention the Groundhogs.

Speaking of obscure, bands that might be famous here but not off this site are one thing but a band that is world famous (mainstream) that may be relatively obscure here (the opposite) was seeing Split Enz mentioned. Now there was band that made itself a much better pop band with the perennial Beatles influence than a prog rock band. They did some good work with obscuremfaded guitar hero Phil Manzanera he of obscure 70s deities Roxy Music.
Nicky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 04:41
Semiramis, Bachdenkel, Dragonwyck and Writing on the Wall (not in any particular order). Although I'd say that from this list, maybe only Dragonwyck are really obscure. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 01:01
As others have said it depends on the level of obscurity. But I reckon any band that I've never seen mentioned here or at PE must be pretty damn obscure. The only two I can immediately think of, where I own the albums, would be Zem and Sonorhc.

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 00:21
Here's the band Handel with their symphonic version of "Alexander's Feast."  You'll just have to imagine it as a four piece as I don't have that link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzQwFHJlkgo
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 05:09
Not sure if they would be considered as progressive (rather brutal RIO/avant-prog?), but I have 3 albums by the Swiss band ALBOTH!
Not a band you like to hear before going to bed or just after waking up, but still an experience...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:53
how about Catapilla? they only made 2 albums, but I really love them

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:29
Yes Sag. Thumbs Up And it's such a beautiful object. 
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:08
^ Hey Pierre I love that Syrinx album! Not all of it works perfectly but man it has some outstanding moments.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2016 at 00:41
It took me some time (money, money money ...) but I finally got on vinyl these three little gems. 
Barabba Canti del Vangelo Secondo Barabba album cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pvx7GRG4mA

*Hellebore - Il y a Des Jours CD (album) cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7DVdSDNsw

Syrinx Long Lost Relatives album cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKp67EfFeWY&list=PL9hLkUGcThJLZUHMT6y0L948FZcbf9dyd
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2016 at 21:02
Esperanto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>