Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Obscure Prog Band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 08:34
Some bands named here are not obscure at all. I know "obscure" is a subjective term, but, take Thinking Plague or Captain Beefheart as an example. You click on the RIO/Avant-Prog section and those are two of the first names that pop up. How can they be obscure if Beefheart is very well known in prog and Thinking Plague is certainly known by RIO/Avant-Prog fans? Just saying..

Edited by Junges - April 25 2018 at 08:35
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 11:18
^I think obscure and unknown is a different things. This thread starter said he´s favorite obscure band is Eloy that I really don´t find obscure at all, maybe little more unknown than for example Beefheart...
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 11:57
^

ob·scure

(ŏb-skyo͝or′, əb-)
adj. ob·scur·erob·scur·est
1. Deficient in light; dark: the obscure depths of a cave.
a. So faintly perceptible as to lack clear delineation; indistinct: an obscure figure in the fog.
b. Indistinctly heard; faint.
c. Linguistics Having the reduced, neutral sound represented by schwa (ə).
a. Far from centers of human population: an obscure village.
b. Out of sight; hidden: an obscure retreat.
4. Not readily noticed or seen; inconspicuous: an obscure flaw.
5. Of undistinguished or humble station or reputation: an obscure poet; an obscure family.
6. Not clearly understood or expressed; ambiguous or vague: Some say that Blake's style is obscure and complex.

I think the only meaning that would fit music would be number 4 or 5. And by those definitions, the band would have to be unknown or at least not so known.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 12:49
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Hey, thanks, they are really good!!

Heard this one from '04? He was in Bardens' Mirage. 

VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 15:53
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Some bands named here are not obscure at all. I know "obscure" is a subjective term, but, take Thinking Plague or Captain Beefheart as an example. You click on the RIO/Avant-Prog section and those are two of the first names that pop up. How can they be obscure if Beefheart is very well known in prog and Thinking Plague is certainly known by RIO/Avant-Prog fans? Just saying..

Exactly. 

and maybe not obscure but still underrated:

Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:33
For me, 'obscure' would be something that doesn't have wider popularity or recognition even in its country of origin, or within the prog community even. One or two such bands are:

Kogaion
Talitha Qumi
Iraklis
Amanita
Sussita
Lot Lorien
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:02
Here's three excellent ones I feel like I"m the only one who knows anything about:

Lord Only - super intricate neo prog with some of the best bass you'll ever hear.  
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWgjD70WHNs

Syzygy (not to be confused with the electronic group of the same name) - think Hackett era Genesis with a sprinkle of Dream Theater

Neil Henderson - keyboard based pomp/prog, an impressive one man show

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 12:44
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

What is your favorite obscure prog band?
For me, its the German prog band "Eloy". They have released several amazing albums, such as "Oceans", "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes", and "Dawn". Some of my other favorites would include Gentle Giant and Camel, both of which have had some amazing stuff released.
Bachdenkel's "Lemmings" album, recorded in 1970 and released in 1973 - the first album I ever reviewed. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 06 2019 at 12:45
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 13:07
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Ritual.

Go buy The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

I second that.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 13:32
Spring, baby.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 13:49
French TV
Antique Seeking Nuns/Sanguine Hum

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 14:06
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Spring, baby.

I second that. Smile
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 00:01
I am going with the really obscure here.  There are a few things about this band and their only LP from 1972 that I like.  There is that Syd Barrett obscurity of some of the their lyrics, a type of lack of self-consciousness that reminds me of the semi-comedy prog band, Fruitcake.  There there is the on and off energy and the melodicism.  Plus, the fact that they are from the great home of classical music Austria, one of the only prog bands I know about from there. 

Paternoster

I've listened to it mostly on the speed of the videos that have been posted (this linked one is a new one).  People keep saying its too slow so there is also the option of playing it at 1.25.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 13:35
I enthusiastically second the recommendation of Polyphony's Without Introduction. An obscure gem for sure.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 13:46
Originally posted by Cag71 Cag71 wrote:

For me, 'obscure' would be something that doesn't have wider popularity or recognition even in its country of origin, or within the prog community even. One or two such bands are:

Kogaion
Talitha Qumi
Iraklis
Amanita
Sussita
Lot Lorien

I would say any band with less than 100 ratings on here would be obscure. It's difficult with prog to draw the line and I suppose there are different levels of obscurity. I certainly wouldn't consider BJH, Eloy, Camel, Nektar, PFM, Banco, Gentle Giant, Strawbs, Triumvirat, Ange, Pulsar, England, Le Orme, Colosseum, Greenslade or even Grobschnitt obscure. With the newer bands it gets a bit trickier but I wouldn't consider Arena, Glass Hammer, IQ, Pendragon, Moon Safari, White Willow, Karmakanic, Frost*, Tangent, TFK, SB, Magic Pie and even most of the ones talked about more than just a little obscure either.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 04 2020 at 13:48
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 15:43
Beggar's Opera is freakin' cool. Even though they stole their Raymonds Road from Emerson's Rondo basically, I really enjoyed their albums. Had no idea they were obscure until I basically have never seen them mentioned until now.

This is the song that I think copies Rondo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGAOeUW9kA
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 16:23
Disco Inferno. Barely anyone talks about them but they played a significant development in post-rock.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 17:11
Kong
seem fairly obscure. At least no-one apart from myself has mentioned them since I'm in this forum. Great band, deserve to be known much better.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 19:58
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

French TV
Antique Seeking Nuns/Sanguine Hum
Great bands... obscure?

Marco Minnemann, Body Hound, Icefish and Dead Air Radio.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 09 2020 at 20:01
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 10:02
Graphic Nature
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>