Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:11
Afficher limage dorigine
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:17
LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:20
Aftermath

never heard of The Fugs
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 10:40
Off the list going with The 13th Floor Elevators over Sunshine Superman. I also like Fresh Cream, and well, most of these (some classic pysch ones I have yet to hear). Off the list, The Incredible String Band, Roy Haper's The Sophisticated Beggar, and the Jimi Hendrix albums.

I'm giving a shout out to Coltrane and Hancock even if not really applicable to the poll, and a shout out to my man Morricone for "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" and "Per un pugno di dollari".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 11:31
I know all of these very well. My vinyl collection was in it's infant stage and most of these were in it.
Aftermath was a solid second but Revolver (my vote) still topped my list.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Jeff Beck Group were right around the corner and they both went straight to the top of the list.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 11:33
Hendrix debut was '67. I don't think any major Jazz albums came out that year or I would have included them.
Magma America Great Make Again
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 11:56
Yeah, Hendrix was '67 and Beck was '68 but in '66 The Beatles and Stones took up a lot of my listening time.
It would not be long before Hendrix and Beck "slammed" me into my Hard Rock / Heavy Psych phase where I still am today.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 11:59
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Hendrix debut was '67. I don't think any major Jazz albums came out that year or I would have included them.

John Coltrane's Meditations, Sonny Rollins' East Broadway Rundown, Don Cherry's Complete Communion, either The Magic City or Other Planes of There by Sun Ra...

With the exception of Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart etc, 60's rock had nothing on 60's jazz. It's probably for the best you didn't include any jazz albums.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 12:31
I guess Freak out.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 12:36
My brother-in-law turned 50 a couple of weeks back and I made him a best of 1966 CD in honor of this birthday.  Many of the albums listed above were represented on this CD. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 13:31
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

John Coltrane's Meditations, Sonny Rollins' East Broadway Rundown, Don Cherry's Complete Communion, either The Magic City or Other Planes of There by Sun Ra...

With the exception of Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart etc, 60's rock had nothing on 60's jazz. It's probably for the best you didn't include any jazz albums.

To me jazz, as opposed to jazzy, doesn't fit the poll series that well.

John Coltrane's Ascension (released in 1966) is one of my favourite jazz albums. Think about it, it was only at the beginning of 1965 that A Love Supreme was released, which is not only commonly heralded as one of the greatest jazz albums, but one of the greatest albums of all time.   As mentioned, Sun-Ra, who has several releases that year -- the only one of his I have from 1966 is The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2, but I really like that album. Course there's Miles Davis' Miles Smiles (or, no, that was recorded in 1966 and released in 1967) and Wayne Shorter. Been meaning to get that Don Cherry.

An album of a different ilk that is noteworthy to me is Stockhausen's Telemusik (not that I exactly find it that enjoyable).

For me, though, a lot of my favourite music of the 60s and 70s was coming from composers known for their soundtrack and library music such as Morricone (who is a favourite of mine). Herbie Hancock also did the OST for Blow Up (with the Yarbirds) in 1966 -- early 1967 release, I think. I also do like a lot of psych and folk from that time.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 19:26
No certain way to answer.....it'd be interesting to have all those LPs in front of you and eliminate them one-by-one in order of which you'd like to hear most at that moment.  Different choice every swing of mood.

As for jazz in '66 - interesting time.....sounds keep pushing forward with great albums by Chick, Herbie, Shepp, Sun Ra, Charles Lloyd, Cecil Taylor, Don Cherry.....but my favorite jazz album of '66 looks back - Duke's Far East Suite.  

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 23:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

To me jazz, as opposed to jazzy, doesn't fit the poll series that well.

John Coltrane's Ascension (released in 1966) is one of my favourite jazz albums. Think about it, it was only at the beginning of 1965 that A Love Supreme was released, which is not only commonly heralded as one of the greatest jazz albums, but one of the greatest albums of all time. As mentioned, Sun-Ra, who has several releases that year -- the only one of his I have from 1966 is The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Volume 2, but I really like that album. Course there's Miles Davis' Miles Smiles (or, no, that was recorded in 1966 and released in 1967) and Wayne Shorter. Been meaning to get that Don Cherry.

An album of a different ilk that is noteworthy to me is Stockhausen's Telemusik (not that I exactly find it that enjoyable).

For me, though, a lot of my favourite music of the 60s and 70s was coming from composers known for their soundtrack and library music such as Morricone (who is a favourite of mine). Herbie Hancock also did the OST for Blow Up (with the Yarbirds) in 1966 -- early 1967 release, I think. I also do like a lot of psych and folk from that time.

Not saying you're wrong. Perhaps apart from Coltrane's Ascension that Logan has already mentioned (which I don't really care for it myself) and Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage there's no stone cold 1966 jazz classics for most folks. 65-67 are pretty much considered the years rock gave jazz the beating it never really recovered from (both in terms of popularity and that psychrock was getting sonically kinda interesting - but not really) I love my own 1966 top 15 jazz albums over anything in the poll: 

1 Komeda Quintet - Astigmatic (certainly a european jazz classic)
  2 Bobby Hutcherson - Components
  3 Don Cherry - Complete Communion  
  4 Paul Bley Trio - Touching (so, so overlooked)
  5 Sun Ra & His Solar Arkestra - The Magic City 
  6 Chico Hamilton - El Chico
  7 Andrew Hill - Smokestack 
  8 Herbie Mann - Monday Night at The Village Gate (so underrated!)
  9 Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land (recorded in 64, but shelved for two years)
 10 John Handy - Recorded Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival (arguably the first jazz-fusion ever)
11 Yusef Lateef - Psychicemotus
12 Joe Henderson - Inner Urge
13 Jackie McLean - Right Now!
14 Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (love Herbie, but this one is not in my top personal five) 
15 Anthony* Williams - Spring (*=Tony Williams)

As for Heliocentric Volume 2 - I have to admit that I always choose the more focused Volume One. 

- anyway I voted for Freak Out which I never gave a proper chance while discovering Zappa years go, but has been growing on me lately.

Love prog too but as you may understand if the jazz archives had a working discussion forum like PA - I would have hung out over there instead. 

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 19:14
and Louise holds a handful of rain, tempting you to defy it...
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 12:32
Ooh, I hadn't realised the Elevators album came out in 66, thought it might have been a couple of years later Shocked.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 01:10
I've found it very interesting to listen to music from 1966, just before things really took off, have bought a remastered Elevators plus the Airplane, Yardbirds, Zappa, Seeds and already had some Stones, Cream, Misunderstood and love Tomorrow Never Knows. I used to find blues totally stagnant and boring but now can appreciate these albums more in terms of the best rock music going back then, and these in particular show tantalising hints of psychedelia Cool.

As I also had a few tracks from 1964 and 1965 though, I started wondering what else I could have listened to in 1966 and have been led by a Krautrock book to Stockhausen and other post war experimental and electronic composers and am finding these truly mind expanding - I had no idea things had got interesting so early Big smile.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 01:18
The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out!

but like the Fugs too, have a couple of there albums
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 02:36
Revolver
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:25
I forgot about this poll...don't even remember what I voted for.
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply