Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Camel appreciation thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camel appreciation thread

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 11 2016
Location: Finland
Status: Offline
Points: 2822
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 06:29
To me Camel is not the biggest personal favourite, but anyway like quite much the Snow Goose.
Back to Top
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 18 2005
Location: C. Schinesghe
Status: Offline
Points: 12463
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 07:20
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Camel is currently touring Europe (at least two dates in the Netherlands - Utrecht and Den Haag).

In live in Den Haag (The Hague) and I am about to see them in a venue called De Paard, coming tuesday.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I'm so excited. I have never been so excited to see a band play live (maybe only My Brightest Diamond, because I have crush on her and Saga, because well it's my favorite band).

But Camel is one of top5 favorite bands and they play Moonmadness in it's entirety, wich is such a great album.
I heard the touring band consists of Andy, Colin, Denis Clement and Pete Jones.

Also Andy has a hernia and his health is not all that great, wich means he will site down during the concert. I think it's very sympathetic that he continues the tour for the fans. Such a great guy, and I wish him the best and I hope he doesn't have too much pain.


I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday (that was my 2nd time seeing them) and I can assure you that you're in for a treat! And, yes, Andy was sitting on an armchair for the whole gig but he did perform great on the guitar and flute! And Colin was in a great shape too! I also really liked that blind keyboardist/vocalist/saxophonist that was with them (can't recall his name).

This is what Andy said about his illness: "Some of You noticed I'm sitting. It's the first time in 50 years. I had an accident in Japan, then I had an accident in Turkey, then I had a accident in Israel... But I am here anyway!" and the audience cheered him.


And today I'm going to see... Yes (feat ARW) + SBB!
Back to Top
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 13 2011
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2111
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 08:30
Camel are a pretty good band, but I never could get completely onboard with them. Moonmadness continues to be the album that impressed me the most and it’s also the most consistent. When Peter Bardens left, I pretty much stopped listening as I felt that Bardens was a major component in the band’s songwriting.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 03 2018 at 08:30
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1048
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:13
Favourite band of all time!...........Smile
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:29
Peter Bardens' organ work and songwriting was great combined with Andy.

But Bardend did a lot of stuff after Camel, wich is not very interesting. So it's more the sum of the parts I guess.

But Andy continued to gather great musicians and songwriters around him, and there are some really great albums in the seventies (Raindances), eighties (Nude and Stationairy Traveller), nineties (Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, Rajaz) and present day (Nod and a Wink).

So to write Camel of after the departure of Bardens, is not a smart move, if you want to discover great progrockmusic :D
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:31
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Camel is currently touring Europe (at least two dates in the Netherlands - Utrecht and Den Haag).

In live in Den Haag (The Hague) and I am about to see them in a venue called De Paard, coming tuesday.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I'm so excited. I have never been so excited to see a band play live (maybe only My Brightest Diamond, because I have crush on her and Saga, because well it's my favorite band).

But Camel is one of top5 favorite bands and they play Moonmadness in it's entirety, wich is such a great album.
I heard the touring band consists of Andy, Colin, Denis Clement and Pete Jones.

Also Andy has a hernia and his health is not all that great, wich means he will site down during the concert. I think it's very sympathetic that he continues the tour for the fans. Such a great guy, and I wish him the best and I hope he doesn't have too much pain.


I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday (that was my 2nd time seeing them) and I can assure you that you're in for a treat! And, yes, Andy was sitting on an armchair for the whole gig but he did perform great on the guitar and flute! And Colin was in a great shape too! I also really liked that blind keyboardist/vocalist/saxophonist that was with them (can't recall his name).

This is what Andy said about his illness: "Some of You noticed I'm sitting. It's the first time in 50 years. I had an accident in Japan, then I had an accident in Turkey, then I had a accident in Israel... But I am here anyway!" and the audience cheered him.


And today I'm going to see... Yes (feat ARW) + SBB!

I don't go to concerts much (personals reasons, no need to elaborate), but now that I have the opportunity, i bought a ticket for Camel, Gov't Mule and Fish for this year to come. Let's see what 2018 brings us.

But first Camel, and the 6th is my birthday, so it's going to be exxxxxtra special. :D
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1048
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:02
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Peter Bardens' organ work and songwriting was great combined with Andy.

But Bardend did a lot of stuff after Camel, wich is not very interesting. So it's more the sum of the parts I guess.

But Andy continued to gather great musicians and songwriters around him, and there are some really great albums in the seventies (Raindances), eighties (Nude and Stationairy Traveller), nineties (Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, Rajaz) and present day (Nod and a Wink).

So to write Camel of after the departure of Bardens, is not a smart move, if you want to discover great progrockmusic :D

I agree 100%    Thumbs Up
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:28
I read on a lot of websites that even play a new song entitled Dingley Dell.
So maybe there's going to be a new album aswell in the future.
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1048
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:58
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I read on a lot of websites that even play a new song entitled Dingley Dell.
So maybe there's going to be a new album aswell in the future.

I hope so.   Really love Peter Jone's work.   Would love to see him on a Camel album.  
Back to Top
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 05 2005
Location: Ukraine
Status: Offline
Points: 4812
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday


been there, blown away

some vids - 1, 2 and of course "Ice", which made me cry <3
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:52
Only one day away.

I noticed that I havent listened to Dust and Dreams and Harbour of Tears a lot, so I listened to those two today, to get in the mood.

I will listen to Moonmadness all day tomorrow. Or maybe that's overkill.
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:55
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday


been there, blown away

some vids - 1, 2 and of course "Ice", which made me cry <3

I have that to. That music makes me cry. I can get very emotional of beautiful music. 
Back to Top
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 18 2005
Location: C. Schinesghe
Status: Offline
Points: 12463
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:58
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday


been there, blown away

some vids - 1, 2 and of course "Ice", which made me cry <3


Hah! It's a pity I didn't know. I live nearby the club BTW.

Did You also go to see Yes and SBB the next day? That was also a great gig! Clap
Back to Top
Lewian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 09 2015
Location: Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 2197
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:07
I have a ticket for London in September. Looking very forward to it. I saw Camel twice in the eighties and once in the nineties and I loved all their shows. There's a warmth in their music and their live performance that makes them very special on stage.
Back to Top
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 23 2014
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 1448
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:24
Help!!!
I really like Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness but nothing else has sounded all that great to me.
Nude is too 80's and Breathless has one good song.
What am I missing here? I know I should love Camel.
Why don't I?
Back to Top
Quinino View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: June 26 2011
Location: Portugal
Status: Offline
Points: 3428
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:32
^ Go backwards - start with "A Nod and A Wink" and I'm pretty sure you will see the LIGHT
Yours Sincerely
Back to Top
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: November 03 2006
Location: Rockpommelland
Status: Offline
Points: 1572
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 15:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Help!!!
I really like Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness but nothing else has sounded all that great to me.
Nude is too 80's and Breathless has one good song.
What am I missing here? I know I should love Camel.
Why don't I?


You havent even tried Raindances and the debutalbum?

And you can only find 1 good song on Breathless. Most people find at least 3 or 4 great songs on that album.

And what exactly does Nude sound too 80's? The sterile production? Or some synths by Duncan McKay. Because if so, stay away from I Can See Your House from Here and Stationairy Traveller. They have the most synths of all Camel albums.

Rayaz and Nod and a Wink are more back-to-basics albums.
But Harbour of Tears and Dust and Dreams are great too, more celtic/folkish influenced.
Back to Top
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 03 2015
Location: Darlington, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 2005
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 16:07
Looking forward to seeing Camel this Autumn in Newcastle - especially with Moonmadness getting played in its entirety. I also lost some interest in them after Raindances, but in recent years I've revisited those later albums and enjoyed them - including Nude and Stationary Traveller. Maybe not up to their classic 70s period - but still pretty good stuff to be found if you give it time.
"...and the man in the mirror has sad eyes..."
Back to Top
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 08 2010
Location: Argentina
Status: Offline
Points: 956
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 19:34
Highly underrated they were and are...I love many things of Camel, Moonmadness is the best for me followed by Mirage. Rajaz is my other favorite. On the songs, not in particular order but Lunar sea, Chord change, Song within a song and Airborn, are all killers, Lady Fantasy and Nimrodel too, Ice, Sahara, Shout, and of course For today, a masterpiece too. Amazing band.
Back to Top
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: June 18 2009
Location: Mexico
Status: Offline
Points: 8845
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 20:36
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Help!!!
I really like Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness but nothing else has sounded all that great to me.
Nude is too 80's and Breathless has one good song.
What am I missing here? I know I should love Camel.
Why don't I?


I have a similar problem to you... I really love their music with the original line-up, but once they started changing their personell they sort of lost their touch, for what I have gotten to hear from them. For what it's worth, I do love many of the versions of songs with the second line-up on "A Live Record" (Mel Collins does some really cool stuff there). After Moonmadness, the only songs I have heard I liked are "Ice", "Sasquatch", and "Stationary Traveller". I guess my next step to get to know a little bit more from them would be to get the later years better rated albums: "Rajaz" and the live "Coming of Age". But I wouldn't worry too much if I don't find more to love from the band, I already got plenty of music to enjoy from them, and I have no obligation with anybody to like anything more.

Edited by Dellinger - June 04 2018 at 20:38
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.