Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Neo Prog Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Neo Prog Bands?
    Posted: April 11 2018 at 15:17
I started a thread about a band called 'Chemical Alice' who only made one 4 track 12'' ep called 'Curiouser & Curiouser' in 1980. I was given a copy by a musician friend who knew the band.. turned out it contained Mark Kelly, later of Marillion.. CA supported Marillion and thus asked him to jump ship and history was made.

I was asking if anyone had seen them, knew any more about them etc but drew a complete blank. Nice little bit on them on the nwobhm.com site. I think I saw them at Stonehenge but i'm not sure...
Image result for chemical alice

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:43
Well I'm enjoying catching up on the band, who somehow passed me by at the time (only registered IQ and Marillion - as I left University and joined the rat race!) The Collector, Sequences, The Ceiling Speaks, Creepshow etc. are great tracks and I'm more attuned to Geoff Mann's vocal style (after just a couple of listens). The instrumentation definitely gets more confident by the time of Live and Let Live.

I'm interested in the views of Twelfth Night fans of the latter albums and even the reunion material. How do you think it compares with the original style. Does it keep the legacy of the earlier days intact? Anyway, looks like some website purchases are called for.

Any other bands of the NWOBPR ( I like that! ) that never really made it past the initial demo or debut album?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 15:42
^ There was a good little Twelfth Night thread where I posted a load of scanned flyers and other snippets I picked up at the time.. Maybe the thread was about 1980's Neo prog (or NWOBPR as I prefer to call it ;)) I cant remember and I cant find it. I just happened to be around where and when (82-83) some of these bands were starting out so got lots of signed lps and stuff and saw them in small venues. Despite what many here say, there was a real buzz at the time and though it didn't last long, it did generate some real energy (in the same way the NWOBHM did with Iron Maiden, Quartz, Angelwitch etc etc) and creativity. 

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - April 10 2018 at 15:43

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 16:27
£3.50 for an LP - those were the days! Any XL T-Shirts left?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:39

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:30
^ Posted with pride!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:24
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You bet! Let me know what you think. I know TN isn't for everyone, and those are longer tracks, but IMO they're awesome.

Just listened to Fact and Fiction for the first time, and all I can say is "I didn't expect that!"
Dark....aggressive vocals from Geoff Mann which make Peter Hamill seem subdued at times....minimalist instrumentation but effective none the less...and more on the edge than most neo-prog I'm familiar with. Creepshow is especially good.
Too much to take in on a first listen, but I'm intrigued enough to persist and I think they will grow on me now I know it's not the same old same old. I'll check the live stuff in due course. Thanks for the heads-up verslibre.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 19:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the interesting thing is that when you have the Asperger syndrome, or shortly AS, you have the feeling that no-one understands you, although it is just the opposite: you don't understand anyone else. this resulted in both Friede and me having certain speech habits, but just on the opposite end of the scale. Friede developed the habit of speaking extremely loud out of desperation because she had the feeling no-one understood her. I on the other hand developed the habit of speaking extremely quietly out of resignation because they never understood me anyway.

interestingly we two understood each other immediately, perhaps because we did not have to look for hidden signs in the other, so by and by we got rid of our speaking habits and now talk to each other in a normal tone of voice. however, when we speak to others we fall back into our speech patterns

Thank you for your writings and contribution, I find them enlightening!  I myself have epilepsy, and although it is not connected to ASD, I have certain traits that can drive some (my wife) mad!  I have a number of young friends with autism and ASD, all are high-IQ and fascinating folk!  

However, I don't really know squat about Neo Prog!  Is "neo prog" really a necessary label?  I would think that the music was either progressive or not.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 16:17

Thanks for the heads-up verslibre.

You bet. Keep me posted!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 16:14
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

All Twelfth Night albums are good.

Nothing after Art & Illusion is worth my time. Geoff Mann's post-TN bands are where it's at.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 15:50

You bet! Let me know what you think. I know TN isn't for everyone, and those are longer tracks, but IMO they're awesome.

Just listened to Fact and Fiction for the first time, and all I can say is "I didn't expect that!"
Dark....aggressive vocals from Geoff Mann which make Peter Hamill seem subdued at times....minimalist instrumentation but effective none the less...and more on the edge than most neo-prog I'm familiar with. Creepshow is especially good.
Too much to take in on a first listen, but I'm intrigued enough to persist and I think they will grow on me now I know it's not the same old same old. I'll check the live stuff in due course. Thanks for the heads-up verslibre.

All Twelfth Night albums are good.  By the way,  Clive Mitten,  the bassist,  just released a new album C- Live Collective...  Bloody brilliant album indeed!!...Cool
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 15:33

The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by TheDankCookie TheDankCookie wrote:

I would like some people to tell me what are some good Neo Prog Bands. I like Marillion, what are some other bands like Marillion? Also tell me what your favorite Neo Prog bands are?
You're asking about what Neo-Prog is as good as Marillion? and you haven't even listened to Marillion's own side projects?

Edison's Children's 1st album features Every Member h, Mark Kelly, Steve Hogarth, Steve Rothery and of course Pete Trewavas (it's his band) AND Fish's Lead Guitarist Robin Boult. if you can find it. "In The Last Waking Moments..." is a rarity now and very hard to find. No other album in the world features every member of Marillion (and Fish's lead guitarist) than that one.

The 2nd album "The Final Breath Before November however is even better and features the son of Neil Armstrong 1st Man on the Moon Rick Armstrong. 

You won't find any better neo-prog than that man. Stop looking outside the box and look in your own backyard!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 17:17

Probably their single best song:

Love this band!.....Clive Mitten has written a brand new album called The age of Insanity - C - Live Collective

Bloody briiliant indeed!!....  Highly recommended indeed...  2nd album out in the fall...Cool
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:24
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:11
^ Many. thanks, Verslibre
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 16:10

Probably their single best song:

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 14:04

Any pointers album-wise? What are their best three, perhaps?

The three best Twelfth Night albums: 

Live at the Target (1980) – TN is an instrumental 4tet on this! Two shorter pieces, a short epic, and a side-length excursion.

Fact and Fiction (1982) – The one that put them on the map, led by the lyrical genius of Geoff Mann, whose vocals are wholly unlike Fish/Nicholls.

Live and Let Live (1984) – A blistering live statement that doubles as Geoff's farewell. 

If you really enjoy the above, check out the first studio album with Geoff Mann, called Smiling at Grief. All of the above is on YT. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:34
It should of course be self evident to any decent human being that tolerance and empathy are the only appropriate responses when dealing with those who claim to suffer from developmental disorders like Aspergers.
I have been a member of these forums for 11 years but cannot recall a single instance where the entity that fashions itself as BaldFriede has ever divulged this information before.  It could be construed with complete justification that this is really none of anyone's business but it begs the question: Are we expected to temper all our posts in the expectation that the recipient may be restricted in their ability to respond in what is construed as an appropriate manner by the mental health profession?

(Feel free to quote the posts and I will happily eat my humble pie)

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 06 2018 at 14:44
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 08:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Your negative attitude is not the problem, Friede: It's
your often borderline insulting remarks that bugs many here. Nobody's
perfect, me first, but I sometimes wonder what is the reason for your
heavy hand?

My two cents.

I never insulted anyone here
but have been really insulted here once, which led to Jean and me not
visiting this site for about a year. My Asperger syndrome (a mild form
of autism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome;
the part about the restrictive behavior pattern and interests is not
true for me though, and neither is it for Jean, who has this syndrome as
well, which is perhaps what attracted us to each other when we met; we
felt we finally had met a likewise soul).

I probably acquired the syndrome because I was in hospital for a long time when I was between two and three years old (which is when kids learn their communication skills). Jean probably acquired hers because as a kid she used to be stoned all the time due to all the sweet smoke in the house (her parents were hippies).

I do for example have
the odd behaviour of humming little tunes, just 3-6 notes, between
sentences. Jean on the other hand rarely looks people into the eyes when
she speaks to them; she looks over one of their shoulders as if she
sees something extremely interesting in the distance; thankfully we both
managed to no longer have these habits with each other.

Believe
me, our first meeting  was very odd (we actually had two first meetings,
but that's a complicated story. Only the second meeting was téte-à-téte
though; the first meeting was in a group).

We two are definitely an odd couple - two lesbians with Asperger syndrome and alopecia universalis.

So
if anyone ever feels affronted by me (once again, I never used a direct
insult) I apologize. Communicating is a difficult skill, especially for
me, and online it is even more difficult. I learned to interpret the
little visual and audible signs in direct communication meanwhile,
though I am definitely not as good at that as most other people. But
without these signs I am completely at bay. It is definitely not
intended.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Have a nice day, Friede.
I also thank you for your response as it does add additional perspective to some of your posts.  The insults may be unintentional but by insulting certain bands or genres you are indirectly insulting fans of these other bands or genres.  (Unlikely micky who does nothing to mask his insults.)  Personally I am a proponent of "treating others how you would like to be treated" and "if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all".  I am fairly thick-skinned about things posted on the internet, but after awhile certain people or certain things rub me the wrong way and I can get pissy about it.  Real life is negative enough without having to encounter negativity in my "safe place", so to speak. 

And for whatever it is worth, I am a fan of Guru Guru and Mani Neumeier as a result of your recommendations, so my list of favorite Krautrock band does actually have some entries on it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>