Topic ClosedFirst Prog Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I was 12 years old when I first heard ITCOTCK in 1969, and I was immediately grabbed by the sound of Mellotron.  

So much for the Monkees!!  

It's been a fantastic voyage, thanks to everyone on PA for sailing along with me.  Cheers, Charles.
We're the same age and I was also in high school when ItCotCK came out, I certainly remember hearing 21st Century Schizoid Man but not much else even though I would have undoubtedly heard the whole album at the time. Then, I've never been grabbed by Mellotron in quite the same way as the sound of a guitar or synth would rip out my brain through my ears, kick it around the floor for 5 minutes and stuff it back in again.

On the other hand my kid sister owned The Birds, The Bees and The Monkees and (Daydream Believer aside) there are some nice baroque and psych pop touches and incidental instrumentation on that album that first got me listening to the music rather than the lyric in a pop song. While I consider The Moody Blues to the be the "gateway" artist to Prog back then, it was bands like The Monkees and The Move that pointed me in right direction.
What?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:27
My first prog album: Moody Blues: In Search of the Lost Chord
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
phonewind View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:54
He was right. He must have all of those clowns clear the rom in an instant.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:08
Does Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds count??

If not then The Wall by Floyd. Blew my effing mind! Marillion, Rush, Genesis, Yes et al followed soon after. I thank Floyd for getting me into prog rock.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 07:37
First for me Relics. Or Yesterdays. Maybe a Heep album.

First prog probably is The Nice or Procol Harum.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 08:05
Trilogy - Emerson, Lake and Palmer (unless you consider the Beatles progressive)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
phonewind View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:50
The Beatles might have been prog. Bach was definitely prog. Chopin was prog so was my mother. She taught me how to play the piano. First song I learned was Smoke On The Water. Da Da Da   Da Da Da. Da Da. Dad Da Dada  DA DA! in the the slack key of G major. But then that's not prog. Has to be in F major for level of difficulty.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Trilogy - Emerson, Lake and Palmer (unless you consider the Beatles progressive)
Like I said, Abbey Road is prog to me (partly), but what came before from the Fabs is psych. IMHO.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 11:28
The first actual Symphonic Prog album was THE NICE - ARS LONGA VITA BREVIS  
released in 1968 (before In the Court of the Crimson King).  
Side 2 in particular essentially sounds like an Emerson Lake & Palmer demo recording. 

I think the first Symphonic Prog album that I ever listened to 
(or paid any attention to) was YESSONGS. 

Edited by altaeria - November 02 2016 at 11:30
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

We're the same age and I was also in high school when ItCotCK came out, I certainly remember hearing 21st Century Schizoid Man but not much else even though I would have undoubtedly heard the whole album at the time. Then, I've never been grabbed by Mellotron in quite the same way as the sound of a guitar or synth would rip out my brain through my ears, kick it around the floor for 5 minutes and stuff it back in again.

I also get a visceral reaction with guitars and synths, but the Mellotron's icy tones definitely have a place in some prog songs. New World by Strawbs comes to mind as does In The Wake Of Poseidon by KC. Strangely enough, I think that the instrument is played out in many Moody Blues' songs. A bit too much when proper orchestral accompaniment would have better served the songs. Mike Pinder is a Mellotron master, but he's a decent piano player too. Just too much Tron for me, I suppose, in Moody songs.

Edited by SteveG - November 02 2016 at 15:10
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:18

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:19
The first one I bought was Wishbone Ash - Argus - which I consider to be a prog album even though the rest of their work isn't really prog.

Early prog albums for me also included Tubular Bells, The Yes Album and Dark Side Of The Moon.

I also remember someone at school giving a talk on progressive rock (which I'd never heard of before then) and playing extracts from Deep Purple's Concerto For Group And Orchestra.
Kespuzzuo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:31
The very first prog album I ever listened to was probably DSoTM, and the second prog album I listened to was Duke by Genesis. My first Genesis album was Invisible Touch (Which doesn't count as a prog album for me). My first Yes album was Close to the Edge. My first King Crimson album was their debut album. My first neo-prog album was Script for a jester's tear, my first Prog Metal album was DT's debut album, and my first new-prog album was Muse's Showbiz.

Edited by Kespuzzuo - November 02 2016 at 15:32
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 16:15
When I was about 6 years old, I started playing a computer game, Sid Meiner's Civilization III. I played it both because it was fun and because I loved the music, which looking back, was actually very progressive sounding. Eventually, I downloaded the music onto a disk and listened about everyday. I did the same with many other computer game soundtracks. I guess you could say these were sort of my first prog albums because they appealed to my senses so much. If you're talking actual prog rock, then probably a best of Pink Floyd complication when I was 13. This was including Echoes. That song really got to me and thus began a search for progressive music.
User Banned for this Post
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 19:45
First heard Days of Future Passed in 1970--a boy I was assigned to babysit took me on a tour of his house, upon which we stumbled onto the "hippie den" bedroom of his 17-year old sister in the dark basement--muslin sheets for walls, bed on the floor, black lights and lava lamps, and The Moodys playing. It was mind-blowing and unsettling at the same time (she was quite a beautiful girl, too!) 

Before that I was inundated with all-things Fab Four-ish by my Beatle-maniac mother. She stopped buying Beatles albums after Magical Mystery Tour, but I spent hours and hours with that album and Sgt. Peppers in the late Sixties.

First bought Demons and Wizards in 1972, aged 14.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 20:53
Most are stating prog rock.....My first prog album purchase was probably Funkadelic Maggot Brain, I was a huge funk/R&B fan before prog rock, that music got me into prog rock. Parliament/Funkadelic, EW&F, Sly that music and some of their longer jam songs was a good setup for prog rock from Yes, Floyd, Can.

That's what I remember today :)

BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 21:59
Genesis - Invisible Touch. It certainly isn't the proggiest album out there but songs like Domino; Tonight, Tonight, Tonight; and the Brazilian got me interested in the group and I haven't looked back since LOL

My first true prog record that clicked with me was Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. It remains a fav to this day
Andis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 01:26
First album was Marillions Fugazi at a friends house, he played the first song, Assassins, wich had a keyboardsolo that got me interested. Then followed all the Marillion albums, Yes, Pink floyd etc...

But my musical journey really started a couple years later when I was introduced to the italians... I never forget when I heard the first minutes of Museo rosenbach's masterpiece at a local shop in Stockholm. My life changed forever.
"Be yourself. The world worships the original." - Ingrid Bergman
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:04
Queen II, but they aren't classified here as prog, so probably doesn't count.

Fly High, Fall Far by Pendragon, but it's an EP, so probably doesn't count.

The Wake by IQ, then.

Edited by Mascodagama - November 03 2016 at 02:06
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 12:57
I honestly don't know for certain...but it was probably one of the very early Moody Blues albums in '67 or '68.....so I'll say Days of Future Passed, and as it happens I will be seeing the Moodies tonight Nov 3 in Merrillville Indiana (haven't seen them for over 40 years) not far from where I live. Sadly Thomas and Pinder no longer play with them but I hope it will be a good show....
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>