Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you file bands that have "ownership names"?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you file bands that have "ownership names"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you file bands that have "ownership names"?
    Posted: December 06 2016 at 01:52
what I mean by that are bands like Darryl Way's Wolf, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia or Tony Williams Lifetime. do you file them under the band name (in the examples Wolf, Earth Band, Paraphernalia and Lifetime) or under the leader's name (like for example: Way, Darryl)? or do you use another method?

Friede and I have decided to go with the band name alone. if a band has a name that's it, period; no matter who the leader is

Edited by BaldJean - December 06 2016 at 01:54

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 02:38
Seems 'Band Name' is cool...........
I guarantee there's no group by an 'Ed Sheeran Band' that performs 11/8 with fuzz-organ and jug-band percussion.......
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 03:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Seems 'Band Name' is cool...........
I guarantee there's no group by an 'Ed Sheeran Band' that performs 11/8 with fuzz-organ and jug-band percussion.......

That would be the Allman Brothers Band and Whipping Post (Organ, 11/ 8, ownership).

I do know the Alan Parsons Project is filed under P in my local retail emporium.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 03:42
Interesting subject.

Ian Crichton (Saga's guitarist) released two solo albums; one under Ian Crichton (filed under C) and one with the Ian Crichton Band (filed under I). I filed them all under C.

Pat Travers releases albums as Pat Travers (filed under T) and Pat Travers Band (filed under P). I would file them all under T

Barclay James Harvest is filed under B. Guitarist John Lees solo albums are filed under L. Barclay James Harvest through the Eyes of John Lees is filed under B and John Lees' Barclay James Harvest is filed under J.
Good luck finding your favorite album that way. So I filed all albums under the B.

Allman Brothers Band is filed under A. Gregg Allman is filed under A and Gregg Allman Band is filed under A aswell. Filing the latter under G really messes up my collection.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 07:03
Nowadays I have most of my collection digitized and I'm just too lazy to create a different system from the one created by Logitech Media Server. So if you're in this position, it is ordered by first letters which means first names of artists. This is kind of ugly but at least it resolves dilemmas like the one leading this thread. 

(I still do work on filing classical music by composer - the digital information on classical CDs is just too inconsistent -, and also LMS has some strange moods like it recognizes some articles and doesn't count them but it also assumes that some three letter names are articles apparently, so that Wim Mertens appears under M but Cat Stevens is still C, wtf?? So if you still use your own system I will not try to convert you whatever dilemmas you're facing.)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 10:23
Personally, I file under the last name of the leader. It keeps solo stuff of the leader next to a band that uses the leader's name prominently. For these types of band names, the band itself is usually (though admittedly not always) secondary to the leader. An exception would be when an individual's name gets added to a band name later in a discography. "Jeff Lynne's ELO" would still file under Electric Light Orchestra in my collection because the latter name was used for decades before Lynne added his name to the band name, but I would file under "Parsons" for Alan Parsons Project or "Mann" for Manfred Mann's Earth Band. There are many ways to file these. Choose the one you would logically use to look for the band.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 11:03
Under the owners name.   So I had to switch and file all my Porcupine Tree under Wilson,Steven.  I also divide my music up in sections.  Jazz Fusion,  Italian Prog, Neo Prog, ect...

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 06 2016 at 11:04
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 12:28
File by surname of leader, unless the band previously had an established identity as a band name only (e.g., Pierre Moerlen's Gong goes under G). Similarly with "and the" names: Tommy James and the Shondells goes under J.

Edited by Michael P. Dawson - December 06 2016 at 12:29
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:12
Manfred Man's Earthband -> Mann, Manfred Earthband
Darryl Way's Wolf -> Way, Darryl Wolf
Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia -> Thompson, Barbara Paraphenalia
Tony Williams Lifetime ->  William, Tony Lifetime
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:21
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

File by surname of leader, unless the band previously had an established identity as a band name only (e.g., Pierre Moerlen's Gong goes under G). Similarly with "and the" names: Tommy James and the Shondells goes under J.
That is how I generally file them also, although I think that I am somewhat inconsistent.  For example, I file Bill Bruford's Earthworks under E, even though they probably weren't previously identified as Earthworks. 

On a side note, I really hate when solo artists do things like changing their band name to do a solo album or another project.  i.e. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -vs- Tom Petty.  Or Neal Morse -vs- The Neal Morse Band.  Or Devin Townsend; Devin Townsend Band; and The Devin Townsend Project.  To a certain extent I get why they do these things, but as an addicted scrobbler I find it to be annoying.  LOL

Edited by rushfan4 - December 06 2016 at 13:22
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:33
I don't file them at all...not even alphabetically.......I have bands in genre areas and just remember where they are.
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:34
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Manfred Man's Earthband -> Mann, Manfred Earthband
Darryl Way's Wolf -> Way, Darryl Wolf
Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia -> Thompson, Barbara Paraphenalia
Tony Williams Lifetime ->  William, Tony Lifetime
^Definitely this. For all of my 1000 vinyls and almost 6000 CD's. Emerson gets his own category and ELP get's it's own as does Greg Lake  and Carl Palmer. In the case of Chick Corea, he gets his own and RTF is it's own, but Chick Corea Elektric Band goes in Chick Corea. At the end of the day, it's your collection so do as you please. Who's going to complain?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:36
Some folk seem to overthink ... how would you file Mabel Greer's Toyshop?
What?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 13:41
It could be tricky I suppose. Say there are different incarnations of a band but with the same name(ie Colosseum or Gong for example). Would you file Piere Moerlen's Gong under G or under M? Then there are bands with different members with different incarnations of the same band but different(ie Wishbone Ash, Queensryche, Barclay James Harvest).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 14:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Since there isn't an actual Mabel Greer, I would file under M.  The same with Jethro Tull being filed under J.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 22:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Since there isn't an actual Mabel Greer, I would file under M.  The same with Jethro Tull being filed under J.

Ahh, but there was an actual Jethro Tull. ;)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 01:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ahh, but there was an actual Jethro Tull. ;)

and there is an actual Uriah Heep, but only in the Charles Dickens novel "David Copperfield"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 02:23
I just tend to file Bands as my media player does on the computer these days. That way everything correlates nicely and I  can find things easily in both on my computer and in my cd collection.

Many years back artists were usually filed under their surnames but the media file tends to file them under the first letters of their Christian names so instead of Steve Hillage being filed under H he is now under S with all the other Steve's.

This system seems to work for me as when I think about individual artists releasing albums under their own name I don't tend to think of their surname first rather I think of their Christian then surname.

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 02:36
With ownership names like Darryl Way's Wolf, or Manfred Mann's Earthband,or Manfred Mann's chapter three it depends how the computer will file them,and often I have to change the name in the properties box to get all the albums by those bands in the same place otherwise they end up in two or more places which is awkward.
some examples I use in my computer files are,

Wolf(Darryl Way)
Manfred Mann.
Manfred Mann's (Chapter Three).
Manfred Mann's (Earthband).

Would be interesting to know how other people here file their collections.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 03:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It could be tricky I suppose. Say there are different incarnations of a band but with the same name(ie Colosseum or Gong for example). Would you file Piere Moerlen's Gong under G or under M? Then there are bands with different members with different incarnations of the same band but different(ie Wishbone Ash, Queensryche, Barclay James Harvest).

I keep all BJH's albums in one big pile, chronologically.
Sometimes (digitally) I even change all the tags to Barclay James Harvest, to keep them organized.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>