Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is prog rock genre defined by instrumental sounds?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs prog rock genre defined by instrumental sounds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 16:29
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Since prog is a form of rock, then it is by definition mostly a guitar, bass, drum and keyboard type of music that does serve as the stereotype but there are plenty of example to the contrary.
Interesting, mostly the instrumental sounds that I usually find in my favourite pop music Tongue
I'd like to know when our (so called) popular music stereotype is gonna change.....

Edited by Tillerman88 - February 17 2017 at 16:36
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 18:40
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I can't get the answer on my question from this Wikipedia long desciprtion. It says a lot, but not the essence. And it doesn't emphasize the big musical difference between prog bands. 

This is where it gets hard. I'm not sure there is a proper venue for what you want, specially if we were to place this within a context of musical history. The compositional side of it, would tend to create something new that would defy this and that and convention specially. 

I like to think of Stravinsky, when he first came out and how different he was. It was not about a "sound", it was about the whole work, and I think that you are likely stuck on a keyboard sound that you think defines "prog rock", and that's insane ... you can go buy most of those keyboards these days at the local music store, or on the Internet ... and creativity, has absolutely NOTHING to do with an instrument, or a sound ... it has to do with its continuity and total design.

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry it is simplistic.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123