FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStrangely similar songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strangely similar songs
    Posted: December 11 2016 at 12:15
Ever noticed the similarity between King Crimson's chapman stick on the song "Elephant Talk" (Discipline) and Claypool's bass on "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" (Sailing the Seas of Cheese)? 

Also, the resemblance between the guitar part of "The Big Sky" by Kate Bush (Hounds of Love) about 2:10 onwards and Genesis' opening guitar riff on "Land of Confusion" really struck me this morning.

Any other example of similar sounding song parts that make you wonder if an artist "copied" another?

Edited by Larkstongue41 - December 11 2016 at 13:33
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 13:28
The chord progression from Pink Floyd's Time sounds very similar to George Harrison's Hear Me Lord. I don't really think that there's any real plagiarism afoot, though; while it's not as ubiquitous as the I-V-vi-IV or the 12-bar, it wouldn't surprise me that they came up with them independently.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:17

About 1:10 in sounds like the main theme of...

That's the best one I have off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there's a part of that album that feels like Focus as well, I'll have to look for it. 

Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets has like half a dozen segments that sound reminiscent to other artists (Tangerine Dream especially, also Nektar and Van Der Graaf Generator). SBB's Memento Z Banalym Triptykiem has a brief composition that sort of sounds like a bit of Camel's The Snow Goose. I could list examples from neo-prog, but we'd be here all day (does Pendragon even have a reason to exist?). 
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:18
Is it just me, or is Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Fat Old Sun?

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:23
Wow, I never noticed the similarity between "Smog Alado" and "E Festa". Nice one Thumbs Up.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:23
I always thought the basslines in these songs were incredibly similar 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:55
"Astral Traveller" by Yes and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis are very similar:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:59
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

About 1:10 in sounds like the main theme of...

That's the best one I have off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there's a part of that album that feels like Focus as well, I'll have to look for it. 

Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets has like half a dozen segments that sound reminiscent to other artists (Tangerine Dream especially, also Nektar and Van Der Graaf Generator). SBB's Memento Z Banalym Triptykiem has a brief composition that sort of sounds like a bit of Camel's The Snow Goose. I could list examples from neo-prog, but we'd be here all day (does Pendragon even have a reason to exist?). 

Great one with Bacamarte and PFM. In turn, both of them also sound very similar to this:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 17:28
I've been wondering for some time if the first part of Im Schatten De Mohre (great album by the way) by Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa samples King Crimson's Prelude: Song of the Gulls. Might as well ask someone here. Not that any of you are familiar with this album, but it sounds too close to me to not be a direct sample.

The KC track isn't on Youtube as far as I can tell, so check your own version (I'm sure Magnum knows it by heart)

Possible sample starts around 2:00

Edited by mechanicalflattery - December 11 2016 at 17:30
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:03

I've been wondering for some time if the first part of Im Schatten De Mohre (great album by the way) by Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa samples King Crimson's Prelude: Song of the Gulls. Might as well ask someone here. Not that any of you are familiar with this album, but it sounds too close to me to not be a direct sample.

The KC track isn't on Youtube as far as I can tell, so check your own version (I'm sure Magnum knows it by heart)

the album title is "Im Schatten der Möhre" which means "In the Shade of the Carrot"

Edited by BaldJean - December 13 2016 at 22:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:22

Has my admiration and infatuation with Song of The Gulls finally amounted to some sort of practical importance? Could it really be? Embarrassed

Hmmm, hard to tell for sure because it sits so low in the mix. I can definitely hear the pizzicato waltz figure that runs through the background of Song of the Gulls, but I don't hear any of the violin/viola/cello/whatever melody that plays over top of it. In the original King Crimson recording (which is the only recording, as the Steven Wilson remaster doesn't include any alternate takes), there aren't any bars where the pizzicato figure plays alone. However, there are about 2 bars ~3 minutes in where the other strings are quiet enough that if you were to sample it, I'm sure you could easily remove them with some digital trickery. 

So I can't say for certain that Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa sampled King Crimson, but the backing track that they use is definitely the same three note figure as Song of The Gulls, and it wouldn't be impossible for them to sample it.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 05:46
Jethro Tull's "We Used To Know" has the same scale as "Hotel CAlifornia " by the Eagles. Also, all the songs in Horslips' album "Exiles" are quite similar to Tull's songs, specially from the "Living In The Past" album.

Edited by Manuel - December 13 2016 at 05:46
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 21:52

Chicago’s Wishing You Were Here uses the same chord sequence as How-Hi-the-Li by Family.

And has anyone else thought there was a resemblance between the refrain in Genesis’s The Fountain of Salmacis and the chorus of I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles?

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 22:05
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

And has anyone else thought there was a resemblance between the refrain in Genesis’s The Fountain of Salmacis and the chorus of I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles?

As soon as I read this I spat out my drink and went to re-read it. Then I thought "what's this guy on?!?". Then I actually sang through each one in my head and now my life will never be the same. LOL Great one!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 22:26
Hawkwind's "Assault and Battery" and Roxy Music's "In Every Dreamhome a Heartache". Same chord progression.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 13 2016 at 22:36

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 22:19
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

As soon as I read this I spat out my drink and went to re-read it. Then I thought "what's this guy on?!?". Then I actually sang through each one in my head and now my life will never be the same. LOL Great one!

Thanks, Magnum, you about made my day!  Glad I could rock your world!

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Hawkwind's "Assault and Battery" and Roxy Music's "In Every Dreamhome a Heartache". Same chord progression.

That’s another one I noticed long ago, and probably would have included it in my last post but I was in a hurry.

While I’m not a musician, I’ve always found myself taking notice of similar chord sequences and melodic lines, most of which can be attributed to coincidence, but others are obvious ripoffs, i.e. the ones all over Fireballet’s first album.  I’ll have to put together a full list one of these days.

How about this one…Focus borrowing a melodic line for Focus III from Don’t Sleep in the Subway by Petula Clark.

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 22:27
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Is it just me, or is Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Fat Old Sun?

Yes me too, that's quite eerie actually Confused
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 00:35
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Jethro Tull's "We Used To Know" has the same scale as "Hotel CAlifornia " by the Eagles. Also, all the songs in Horslips' album "Exiles" are quite similar to Tull's songs, specially from the "Living In The Past" album.

Hi Manuel......you mean "Aliens" not "Exiles"..."Exiles" is an instrumental off "Aliens". As far as I my ears tell me (for the last 40 years), there is only one tract that is similar to any Tull track on Aliens and that track is "Second Avenue"....the melody is a direct rip off of "Teacher". In the official Horslips' biography "Tall Tales" it is stated..."If 'Second Avenue' sounds a little like the riff from Jethro Tull's 'Teacher', it's pure co-incidence. Maybe it was a subliminal tribute.".......

On Aliens, "New York Wakes" and "Sure The Boy Was Green" has Anderson-like flute playing (à la Thijs van Leer) but Tull never ever made songs like (or even to match IMHO) these. These 2 tracks are based on the Irish jigs 'The Fox Hunter's Jig" and "Morrison's Jig" respectively.

So as far as I am concerned most tracks on Aliens sound like Horslips...with one track ripping off Tull's Teacher....and the flute playing on 2 occasions, well yes, they are Anderson-like as far as the flute playing is concerned but the songs themselves are nothing like anything Tull ever recorded IMHO.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 21:37

One that 1980s DJs pointed out on-air:  Day after Day by Badfinger and Breaking Us in Two by Joe Jackson.

Open Doors, the opening track on SFF’s album “Ticket to Everywhere”, borrowed the distinctive piano riff from the Doors’ Riders on the Storm.

Edited by AreYouHuman - December 15 2016 at 21:39

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 23:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Astral Traveller" by Yes and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis are very similar:

for those who don't hear the similarity between these two songs: listen to 2:12-3:20 and 4:09-4:30 in the Genesis song; it will all become clear then. same riff as "Astral Traveller" in the first mentioned part and very similar keyboard solo in the second

Edited by BaldJean - December 15 2016 at 23:06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>