Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Original Proto Electronic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 04:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As three different people in this thread have used the term circular argument incorrectly perhaps we need to adopt this term for arguments that end-up where back where they started and use an alternative term for arguments that start from where they intend to end. That difference is far from subtle, arguments that go around in circles are merely stalled arguments that do not progress, they are little better than two people shouting "because I said so!" at each other ad infinitum, whereas a circular argument is one that begins by stating an assumption, then uses that assumption as the conclusion of the argument. The major difference is the latter correct usage of the term circular argument is not a stalled argument, it is an example of a logical fallacy...

...Steve, David and I may differ on what we define as "music" but we are in tacit agreement that Poème électronique falls short of the musical framework that would classify it specifically as a precursor to Progressive Electronic music.
I agree with your definition of a circular argument. I bent the rule in order to respond to the OP's post regarding same.

While I may reject experimental/avant-garde music as actually music (music concrete, etc.) on some emotional or viseral level, I do accept it as music on an intellectual level, with artistic criteria defining it as such. If we cannot come to a consensus as what defines music, I feel that all other related discussions are built on a shaky foundation.

Edited by SteveG - December 19 2016 at 04:26
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 06:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As three different people in this thread have used the term circular argument incorrectly perhaps we need to adopt this term for arguments that end-up where back where they started and use an alternative term for arguments that start from where they intend to end. That difference is far from subtle, arguments that go around in circles are merely stalled arguments that do not progress, they are little better than two people shouting "because I said so!" at each other ad infinitum, whereas a circular argument is one that begins by stating an assumption, then uses that assumption as the conclusion of the argument. The major difference is the latter correct usage of the term circular argument is not a stalled argument, it is an example of a logical fallacy...

...Steve, David and I may differ on what we define as "music" but we are in tacit agreement that Poème électronique falls short of the musical framework that would classify it specifically as a precursor to Progressive Electronic music.
I agree with your definition of a circular argument. I bent the rule in order to respond to the OP's post regarding same.

While I may reject experimental/avant-garde music as actually music (music concrete, etc.) on some emotional or viseral level, I do accept it as music on an intellectual level, with artistic criteria defining it as such. If we cannot come to a consensus as what defines music, I feel that all other related discussions are built on a shaky foundation.

That has been an argument since we were clubbing mammoths when we left our caves. That is that intellectual music cannot be "emotional." Personally i find it very emotional in a different way. IQ and EQ both have different levels of intelligence. Just because advanced calculus is foreign to some doesn't mean it's not valid. Same goes with music concrete or any other highly advanced form of sound relationships. By calling such music non-emotional is quite judgmental. Is an obscure language in remote Siberia not a language simply because someone doesn't understand it in North Dakota? I think not

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 06:59
^More meaning that what I implied, SP. Who said that intellectual music cannot be emotional, or vise versa? Please read my post again. Intellectual and emotional are my feelings when listing to music concrete or other avant-garde music. One feeling being con, while the other feeling is pro.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 00:58
All sounds have the ability to affect us emotionally given the appropriate context. We can go through life being totally unmoved by the sound pattern of a door with hinges that are badly in need of some oil being opened, yet even the most rational of us can be spooked by it under the right circumstances if our senses are suitably heightened. Conversely there are accepted forms and genres of music that affect some of us and not others. If we are receptive to a pattern of sound then we can be emotionally moved by it whether is defined as music or not.

If we consider that the dictionary definitions that Mike posted earlier were compiled by lexicographers and not musicologists then what defines music reduces to the opening phrase of the first connotation: "The art of arranging sounds in time..." where the key words are "art", "arranging" "sounds" and "time", and the rest of the definition is superfluous and the remaining connotations are not applicable. Avant Garde, and thus all forms of experimental electronic music, deliberately sets out to challenge the accepted concept of music with regard to melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre and becomes abstracted. 

The problem therein is without a frame of reference how can you tell good from bad? From a technical stand-point that's generally easy to gauge but that craftsmanship of production, while being a technical art that we can assign merit to, is not a metre of artistic quality. This is evident if you have ever seen any visual avant garde art - pieces that are deemed to be important and good often display pretty shoddy workmanship in construction and execution. Decrying abstract art as no better than that of a three year old in kindergarten is given further weight of argument when it actually looks like it was made by a three year old in kindergarten - from an artistic perspective the manual dexterity of the artist is overridden by the creativity of the artist. This leaves then an intellectual assessment (what has the artist achieved?), an emotional assessment (does this affect me?), and a historical assessment (did this affect/impact/influence others?). Both the intellectual and the emotional are valid but can either of them separate good from bad? Similarly, does an historical assessment say anything about the quality of a piece as Art?

However, all of that is immaterial.

In the realm of Progressive Rock music that is abstract, avant garde or electronic has to have a reference point that makes it recognisable as Avant Progressive and/or Progressive Electronic, and that common base-line is Progressive Rock, which is a musical subgenre that is defined by the full dictionary definition of music in that it contains melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre. Music that is too far abstracted from that "musical" definition, while being valid as examples of Avant Garde and/or Electronic/Eclectroacoustic music, lack that direct reference so cannot be contained within the subgenre. Therefore David's initial post:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I think I can say with a good amount of certainty that that is not music, and therefore unlikely to qualify as 'electronic prog' or anything other than sound experimentation.

...is 100% factually correct in this context regardless of how important the piece is or how many Prog musicians Varèse has influenced. It is not part of the Progressive Electronic canon in our definition of that particular subgenre because its Musique concrète nature is devoid of the elements that define it as Progressive Rock (regardless of they are in specific terms, that it is "rock" has to be the starting point).

This of course is a completely different argument to the one that prevents Progressive Trance and Progressive House from being included in the Progressive Electronic subgenre, yet they are related in the sense that the are excluded because none of them have a musical reference back to Progressive Rock.

Edited by Dean - December 20 2016 at 01:02
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 01:15
Thank you, I was avoiding pointing that out.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 04:18

In the realm of Progressive Rock music that is abstract, avant garde or electronic has to have a reference point that makes it recognisable as Avant Progressive and/or Progressive Electronic, and that common base-line is Progressive Rock, which is a musical subgenre that is defined by the full dictionary definition of music in that it contains melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre. Music that is too far abstracted from that "musical" definition, while being valid as examples of Avant Garde and/or Electronic/Eclectroacoustic music, lack that direct reference so cannot be contained within the subgenre. Therefore David's initial post:

I think I can say with a good amount of certainty that that is not music, and therefore unlikely to qualify as 'electronic prog' or anything other than sound experimentation.

...is 100% factually correct in this context regardless of how important the piece is or how many Prog musicians Varèse has influenced. It is not part of the Progressive Electronic canon in our definition of that particular subgenre because its Musique concrète nature is devoid of the elements that define it as Progressive Rock (regardless of they are in specific terms, that it is "rock" has to be the starting point).

This of course is a completely different argument to the one that prevents Progressive Trance and Progressive House from being included in the Progressive Electronic subgenre, yet they are related in the sense that the are excluded because none of them have a musical reference back to Progressive Rock.
I'm not using your words against you, Dean, it's because I agree with them. You stated: "Music is many things just as Art is many things, but what separates it from random noise is contrived intent. Varèse's composed this piece by assembling sounds with deliberate intent so therefore it is music. You may not find it musical in the same way I don't find Jackson Pollack's paintings to be artistic, but both are Art."
David stated "I think I can say with a good amount of certainty that that is not music..."

I contend that this piece is music as based on Varese's intention to present it as such. How much of it is actually electronic music, as I have come understand it technically, is my concern much more than if the piece is proto electronic prog.

Edited by SteveG - December 20 2016 at 04:22
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 05:08

I'm not using your words against you, Dean, it's because I agree with them. You stated: "Music is many things just as Art is many things, but what separates it from random noise is contrived intent. Varèse's composed this piece by assembling sounds with deliberate intent so therefore it is music. You may not find it musical in the same way I don't find Jackson Pollack's paintings to be artistic, but both are Art."
David stated "I think I can say with a good amount of certainty that that is not music..."
I contend that this piece is music as based on Varese's intention to present it as such.
I'm standing by the highlighted proviso where music in this instance as David used it is restricted to the narrower definition of "The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre." because it has to be associated with Progressive Rock to be considered a precursor to Progressive Electronic.

How much of it is actually electronic music, as I have come understand it technically, is my concern much more than if the piece is proto electronic prog.
I've already voiced my thoughts on that: it's not wholly electronic music.

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 13:17
^How silly of me. You mean music spelled with a lowercase m. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 19:59
Okay as I always say: back to the document, the Best Evidence, the 'body' if you will,so I am re-listening to "Poème électronique".   For its time it is remarkable, new, unique, even startling at times as a recording perhaps having influenced many musicians, artists, producers.   But it does not demonstrate, by either a liberal or conservative perspective, any music of any kind.   It is a venture, an aural collection, a document of a time in recording history.   Important, maybe even progressive, but beyond a reasonable doubt to a logical and moral certainty, not music.

Edited by Atavachron - December 20 2016 at 20:59
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 00:31
A few people are clearly interested in electro-acoustic, concrete and early electronic music and have posted some links I'd like to follow up. Perhaps we should start a separate genre appreciation thread?
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 01:11
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

A few people are clearly interested in electro-acoustic, concrete and early electronic music and have posted some links I'd like to follow up. Perhaps we should start a separate genre appreciation thread?
We've got a couple already:

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 04:37

Okay as I always say: back to the document, the Best Evidence, the 'body' if you will,so I am re-listening to "Poème électronique".   For its time it is remarkable, new, unique, even startling at times as a recording perhaps having influenced many musicians, artists, producers.   But it does not demonstrate, by either a liberal or conservative perspective, any music of any kind.   It is a venture, an aural collection, a document of a time in recording history.   Important, maybe even progressive, but beyond a reasonable doubt to a logical and moral certainty, not music.

You say music. I say musique. Lets call the whole thing off.
Happy holidays David to you and your family, and have a great New Year! Smile 

Edited by SteveG - December 21 2016 at 04:41
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 08:12

Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

We've got a couple already:

Oh thanks Dean - a couple of four pagers too so I'll have a good read Thumbs Up.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234