Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [79.07%]
3 [6.98%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 17:07
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fęte Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

P.S. The list is missing Ignacio (1977).
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

And Vangelis' new album Rosetta is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!

How disappointed are you that Vangelis wasn't tapped to score the upcoming Blade Runner sequel? The minimalist Jóhann Jóhannsson seems all wrong for the project, imo. But we'll see; I hope to be proven wrong. I'd still much rather have Vangelis doing it...

Edited by jude111 - January 09 2017 at 18:37
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:54

And Vangelis' new album Rosetta is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!

How disappointed are you that Vangelis wasn't tapped to score the upcoming Blade Runner sequel? The minimalist Jóhann Jóhannsson seems all wrong for the project, imo. But we'll see; I hope to be proven wrong. I'd still much rather have Vangelis doing it...

I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now. It's a movie I'm not even sure should be made, but I'll definitely be at the theater. Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 20:56

<span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">And Vangelis' new album </span><em style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Rosetta <span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!</span>

I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now. It's a movie I'm not even sure should be made, but I'll definitely be at the theater. Wink

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.*

I've enjoyed the film since the '80s, and I certainly can't imagine it existing without Vangelis' magnificent score.

*Rogue One ...!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:12
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:16

I have only seen Blade Runner once... I got it last year because of it's cult status. I guess I have to give it a few more watches. However, the music did add to the atmosphere and all, and I do believe they should have gotten Vangelis again, given that he is still available. The dimension of the films is very different, specially because of the amount of sequels and prequels, but it almost seems as if you would have a Star Wars film without John Williams doing the score.

When Blade Runner came out in the theater in 1982, I was 14 and pestered my parents to take my brother and I. (I should add that I was a huge Pink Floyd fan since discovering them in 1978 as a pre-teen.) When the film began and those thunderous booms and magnificent synths began, I was transfixed. I was absolutely positive as the film progressed that it was Pink Floyd who had done the music - from the bluesy, Shine On-like "Blade Runner Blues" to the eerie opening theme and creepy "Memories of Green" (that 9th note over a minor chord - how Floydian!), to the lush sax on the Love Theme. No one else but Pink Floyd was making music like this (not that I knew of), no one else combined spacey synths with bluesy soulfulness. I remember I made my parents stay to the end of the credits, waiting to see "Music by Pink Floyd," but being shocked that it was by someone I never heard of, "Vangelis." Ever since that day, I've been obsessed by Blade Runner.

Edited by jude111 - January 10 2017 at 12:21
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 01:53
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

My fav album of his is Albedo ----but also loved Heaven and Hell and See you Later which I thought was so cool as an arty college student----and like some of his stuff with Jon (Jon really blew that friendship---they were good together) so I voted 70's.

Strange...Heaven and Albedo are the two that I prefer but I absolutely hate See You Later apart for Memories of Green
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:38
In terms of 'progressiveness' then has to be the seventies especially as it includes probably his greatest masterpiece China. That's a perfect Vangelis album! Also 666 is one of the best 70's albums imo.

However I think these are all masterpieces as well and none are 70's
El Greco
Voices
Direct
Antarctica
Soil Festivities
Mask

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 06:56

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

70s all the way! But mostly for two releases that aren't mentioned in the OP: Dragon and Hypothesis - the former being my absolute favourite Vangelis release. Sorta like Vangelis doing mushrooms in an Indian bazar whilst theowing these fat unhinged organ riffs out in the perimetre. The Greek keyboard wizard's Krautrock album, I kid you not.

Cool, I added those 2 to the list:)
Except that you didn't.

Except that I did. Everything's in alphabetical order.
Oh - they were both recorded in 1971 and released in 1978 though. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In terms of 'progressiveness' then has to be the seventies especially as it includes probably his greatest masterpiece China. That's a perfect Vangelis album! Also 666 is one of the best 70's albums imo.

However I think these are all masterpieces as well and none are 70's
El Greco
Voices
Direct
Antarctica
Soil Festivities
Mask

Soil Festivities in one word: sublime. I always recommend it to other people who I know who enjoy EM, but have never heard that record. "I'll get around to it." (They don't know what they're missing!)

Direct, which I bought new in '88 (whew!), is a seriously underrated album. I likened it to a return to his Spiral sound, just more modern (for the time). The CD had that great bonus track "Dial Out" (I had to upgrade, because I had first purchased it on cassette!).
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:53
1.- 666 (Aphrodite's Child)
2.- Heaven & Hell 
3.- Albedo 0.39

Can live without the rest

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 11:29
1970's 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 21:11

When Blade Runner came out in the theater in 1982, I was 14 and pestered my parents to take my brother and I. (I should add that I was a huge Pink Floyd fan since discovering them in 1978 as a pre-teen.) When the film began and those thunderous booms and magnificent synths began, I was transfixed. I was absolutely positive as the film progressed that it was Pink Floyd who had done the music - from the bluesy, Shine On-like "Blade Runner Blues" to the eerie opening theme and creepy "Memories of Green" (that 9th note over a minor chord - how Floydian!), to the lush sax on the Love Theme. No one else but Pink Floyd was making music like this (not that I knew of), no one else combined spacey synths with bluesy soulfulness. I remember I made my parents stay to the end of the credits, waiting to see "Music by Pink Floyd," but being shocked that it was by someone I never heard of, "Vangelis." Ever since that day, I've been obsessed by Blade Runner.

I guess I have to put the movie again. I don't remember finding such a connection to Pink Floyd music (which are my favourite band), but then again, I have known the band for a long time, and have known of Vangelis for a very long time too (even if I don't know his discography nearly as intimatley as the Floyd's). Tough I guess I understand what you mean... if Pink Floyd had decided to do an instrumental album giving Wright's keyboards the spotlight, it might have sounded something like that.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 22:32
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

My fav album of his is Albedo ----but also loved Heaven and Hell and See you Later which I thought was so cool as an arty college student----and like some of his stuff with Jon (Jon really blew that friendship---they were good together) so I voted 70's.

Strange...Heaven and Albedo are the two that I prefer but I absolutely hate See You Later apart for Memories of Green

Understand----don't love the album but at the time thought it was cool and a departure from his other stuff---I haven't heard it recently ---hard to find the CD.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 07:17

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Understand----don't love the album but at the time thought it was cool and a departure from his other stuff---I haven't heard it recently ---hard to find the CD.

If you stick with it, that album can grow on you. The title track "See You Later" is especially good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZrANBlh8k

Edited by jude111 - January 14 2017 at 07:19
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 12:00
`70`s.................................DeadBig smile
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Ghostof82 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostof82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 00:57
1970s. China is my fave album of his- it still sounds so fresh decades later. Hoping the remaster out today in the Delectus box set is good, and he hasn't tinkered with it too much. He was so prolific in the 1970s, some really exciting experimental stuff. You get a sense with each album he was pushing boundaries.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 21:19
70's

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 23:58
1970s
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>