Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis after 1976 and responsibility
    Posted: February 15 2017 at 14:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a very well documented fact that all three remaining members of Genesis were responsible for the change to more commercial tracks, pop prog, if you will. Post Duke, all tracks were jointly written.

That just about sums it all up ...so why is this thread still going on...?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:01
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

It's funny that a lot of the younger generation aren't that familiar with the pre-ATTW3 material. One kid even refered to genesis' prog years as " back when they were a sh*t band". Saw them in 2007 and apart from the sound being atrocious nobody really connected with the few old songs that they played. I think that the omly track that I can bear from their top forty years is ABACAB and I'm even a bit ashamed of myself for this. Embarrassed
I like the second half of ABACAB too.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 06:31
It's funny that a lot of the younger generation aren't that familiar with the pre-ATTW3 material. One kid even refered to genesis' prog years as " back when they were a sh*t band". Saw them in 2007 and apart from the sound being atrocious nobody really connected with the few old songs that they played. I think that the omly track that I can bear from their top forty years is ABACAB and I'm even a bit ashamed of myself for this. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 23:31
^Now that's truly interesting. I'm going to have to get that book.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 06:50
I just finished reading Mike Rutherford's autobiography The Living Years. He says the band had too many ideas and decided to make shorter songs so they could fit more of those ideas onto one album. He thinks in hindsight that this was a bad idea. The band were also rather surprised that Follow You, Follow Me became a hit.

The group still had that inclination to make long songs going into the 1980s such as the "Naminanu/Dodo/Lurker/Submarine" epic that only appeared as a shorter Dodo/Lurker on Abacab and I've read that Duke was supposed to have had a side long Duke suite, but those songs were pulled apart into individual songs.

Edited by progaardvark - February 13 2017 at 06:55
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 06:33
...and that's the story of most bands.  Team creativity eventually gives way to dominance and/or power struggles where there is more than one dominant personality.  Jon Anderson with Yes, Roger Waters with Floyd and so on.  The strange thing is that often these power struggles result in less creativity.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 03:53
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Nothing went on inside the band without  without Tony's consent... so those blaming on Phil (and to a lesser extent on Mike) may want to rethink their thoughts 

Anyone who has seen the documentary on Genesis will appreciate how correct this is. Banks came across as a talented but slightly unpleasant dictator.

WinkLOLClap
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 16:12
Decades ago, I heard an interview with Banks on the radio. His explanation then was that Genesis' material had always consisted of shorter songs. The writers would bring them to Banks for help to knit them together (just think of Supper's Ready, for example) and Tony became the sort of de facto chief composer. Banks then says it was just a simple matter of not trying to knit all the groups' songs together. 

So instead of getting variations on two or more different hooks turned into themes, instead you got a hook-oriented song. 
-John
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2017 at 16:06
I have noticed the 'Angel standing in the sun' phrase in the end of Los Endos (particularly when played live) but just assumed that they were looking for and deliberately creating a dramatic show ending to replace 'Suppers ready' and it was just a nod to that but yes i can imagine it as a little reference to and possibly a gentle 'pop' at PeterWink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 21:36
^And the favor is returned by PG:

I don't remember
I don't recall
I have no memory of anything at all,
Anything at all
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:47
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

[QUOTE=twosteves]Squonk obviously came from that book---the whole of Trick is a series of fractured fairy tails----but it was stated many times--Squonk was written in reference to Peter leaving the band and crying backstage a lot during the Lamb tour ----having a lot of problems at the time.

But I also think as far as late 80's and early 90's prog---Genesis thanks to Banks songs always had updated but proggy songs on them along with the pop singles. Trevor Rabin once said he wished Yes west could do the same---some pop singles and some long prog like songs around the time Talk came out-- but that never happened has Rabin doesn;t have the writing chops that Genesis had----songs like Dodo, Domino, Fading lights, Home by the sea, and Driving the Last spike are certainly not pop but updated prog.

I can honestly say that in all the years i have followed Genesis, i have not heard that particular analogy (regarding it being about peter leaving the band), Yes, its well documented that he had some very worrying and traumatic home issues to deal with and that Tony Banks was not particularly sympathetic (at the time).. It seems a bit tenuous to me.

It's been discussed in many chat rooms and I remember it mentioned in an old Melody Maker---they could have just been making a bit of fun of Peter-------but at the end of Los Endos---when they go back into Squonk ---there's an angel standing in the sun---from Suppers Ready----a nice reference to Peter.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 12:06
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Just to add my 2 cents here, I love all of Genesis and the solo bits.  But my favorite Genesis era is 1976-79, so:

Trick of The Tail
Spot The Pigeon EP
Seconds Out
Wind & Wuthering
AND
...and then there were three..

These are my favorites.  I respect the Gabriel stuff, but this era was just a little more enjoyable for me.

Look at the credits for the studio albums. Mostly Tony. I call this the Banks Era and it is Genesis that I like the most from the studio albums. TOTT being my fav.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 12:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Didn't Dave record a bunch of Roger's basslines for him, too?

Yes he did.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 14:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Squonk obviously came from that book---the whole of Trick is a series of fractured fairy tails----but it was stated many times--Squonk was written in reference to Peter leaving the band and crying backstage a lot during the Lamb tour ----having a lot of problems at the time.

But I also think as far as late 80's and early 90's prog---Genesis thanks to Banks songs always had updated but proggy songs on them along with the pop singles. Trevor Rabin once said he wished Yes west could do the same---some pop singles and some long prog like songs around the time Talk came out-- but that never happened has Rabin doesn;t have the writing chops that Genesis had----songs like Dodo, Domino, Fading lights, Home by the sea, and Driving the Last spike are certainly not pop but updated prog.

I can honestly say that in all the years i have followed Genesis, i have not heard that particular analogy (regarding it being about peter leaving the band), Yes, its well documented that he had some very worrying and traumatic home issues to deal with and that Tony Banks was not particularly sympathetic (at the time).. It seems a bit tenuous to me.

I agree that much of later (trio) Genesis was 'updated Prog' for the 80's & 90's and this is very much down to 'their chops' and personal/professional chemistry. Even the poppier or 'prog-lite' material has a tightness and professionalism that is hard to match elsewhere. It makes me smile rather than frown when i hear it but if given the choice, personally, i would still head for 70-75.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 13:23
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Tony Banks ruined Brand X
 LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 13:18

How? Did he demand that Collins abandon this side project and devote all his energy to their band? I mean, I just don't get your comment.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 12:56

The band that Genesis could have been!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 11:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Banks once objected in an interview many years ago that the Pop direction was always there, that as early as Nursery Cryme, they tried short songs, but they didn't know how to do them. I disagree with him totally. Harold the Barrel could have made an excellent hit. But if it doesn't get recognized and given airtime, well we'll never know. The question isn't so much who made them Pop. I can forgive them for an occasional hit, after all (BTW the first hit was actually I know What I Like...). The question is, or should be; Why did they abandon Prog? We're they still capable of doing Prog as a trio? I'm left wondering about that when I hear the Neo-Prog attempt of Second Home By the Sea.
Harold the Barrel a possible pop hit? What an offbeat suggestion.

TBH, if label-mates Lindisfarne could do it with something as oddball as Fog on The Tyne the same year as HTB (both 71)....

Fair enough.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 11:59
Magma America Great Make Again
ClaudeV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:27
I heard Banks in an interview saying that him and Hackett were the two pushing for progier stuff, and when Steve left the balance in the band changed. That led to ATTWT that gave them their first real hit single. So after that, I think aiming for other hit singles was mandatory for them. I think the biggest problem was not the fact that they did simpler songs. It has always been the case. The real problem was the style of the pop songs they made in the 80's. Misunderstanding, No reply at all, Paperlate, and stuff like that after were at odd with the classical sound of Genesis. Also, had to that the fact that with Phil solo success, there was no way to keep him in the band without doing poppier stuff similar to his solo work. By then he was a huge star and long gone were the days when he did not want to be the singer or wanted Genesis to become an instrumental band.

That being said, Genensis kept a good progressive side in the 80's. It reminds me of Mike Oldfield at the time with half a record for pop stuff and the other half for prog stuff. Also, if you add great albums like Please don't touch, Spectral Mornings, Smallcreep's day, Curious feeling, Melt and Security, i think the Genesis guys gave us really good adventurous music.

Edited by ClaudeV - February 02 2017 at 13:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>