Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2017 at 21:33
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Waters seemed to want total control. Gilmour is all over Animals and The Wall and only has a couple of credits. It is something that Gilmour has occasionally complained about in the past. Those solos were his, Waters didn't write them out for him. Some of Wrights best playing was on Animals. That 2 plus minute intro on Sheep is mostly all him. I would imagine Waters didn't write it out and instead said I need something here, what do you have.   How does Wright not get a credit?

Just one more time a bit off-topic, if I may......... Frankly, more than casually I see Floyd fans forgetting how such a sensible guy Rick Wright was, and the fact that he was not such an egocentric member as Waters nor of such strong a character as is Gilmour or even Mason. This fact alone put clearly on evidence how overlooked was his essential contribution to the band as a whole, and i've always felt his greatness very present, especially when his sounds most seemed overshadowed by the other members works, that's exactly when his subtleties took the 'laurel'.

Wright was as important to the sound and success of the band as any other element you may want to think of. Waters may have given the lyrics and thematic cohesion to the band, but Wright gave the sonic and ambient cohesion.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 01:36
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I read that just like Squonk was a song directed at Gabriels departure
Down and Out was directed at Hackett's departure---

didn't know for Squonk, I will check this.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 02:55
I have just read the Collins autobio, 'Not Dead Yet'.  Following the departure of Gabriel, Collins proposed at least twice to the rest of the group that they become an instrumental band - imagine that!

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 14:26
Squonk, lyrically, was inspired by the entry in the William T Cox fantasy field guide 'Fearsome Creatures of Lumberwoods with a few desert and mountain beasts' published in 1910 and mentioned also in Jorge Luis Borges 'The book of imaginary beings'-
THE SQUONK.
(Lacrimacorpus dissolvens.)

The range of the squonk is very limited. Few people outside of Pennsylvania have ever heard of the quaint beast, which is said to be fairly common in the hemlock forests of that State. The squonk is of a very retiring disposition, generally traveling about at twilight and dusk. Because of its misfitting skin, which is covered with warts and moles, it is always unhappy ; in fact it is said, by people who are best able to judge, to be the most morbid of beast. Hunters who are good at tracking are able to follow a squonk by its tear-stained trail, for the animal weeps constantly. When cornered and escape seems impossible, or when surprised and frightened, it may even dissolve itself in tears. Squonk hunters are most successful on frosty moonlight nights, when tears are shed slowly and the animal dislikes moving about ; it may then be heard weeping under the boughs of dark hemlock trees. Mr. J. P. Wentling, formerly of Pennsylvania, but now at St. Anthony Park, Minnesota, had a disappointing experience with a squonk near Mont Alto. He made a clever capture by mimicking the squonk and inducing it to hop into a sack, in which he was carrying it home, when suddenly the burden lightened and the weeping ceased. Wentling unslung the sack and looked in. There was nothing but tears and bubbles.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 14:48
And the song 'Trick of the tail' was, in part, inspired by the book 'The Inheritors' by William Golding. Tony Banks was evidently well read and it informed many of his lyrics. A bit too wordy in many cases.. 'all in a mouse's night' and (the marvellous) 'Watcher of the skies' are two that come to mind.

I think that the move towards a shorter and simpler 'more accessable format mixed with the occasional longer, slightly more complex songs was just an inevitability; 'Down and out' is one of the standout tracks (along with 'Burning Rope') and just repeats the well worn A&R trope of the late 70's.. look at what was around at the same time- Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, ELP (Love Beach.. Yuch!!).. buckloads of coke.. lots of bands spent the 70's sticking to their principles and being ripped off and if they had survived at all, were just tired out from slogging tours and endless creation of the next lp. I think the three remaining members had a strong survival instinct, all had a personal love of 60's pop and an actual chemistry (a lot of 'Lamb' was played out by Banks/Collins/Rutherford and seeing the 3 take flight during 'Cinema show' made you realise just how tight they were. Although i still, personally, prefer to listen to pre-77 Genesis, i agree that all of the later albums had something to offer and an element of that indefinable spark.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 15:41
Strike out Giant Hogweed, insert Squonk.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 17:05
Banks once objected in an interview many years ago that the Pop direction was always there, that as early as Nursery Cryme, they tried short songs, but they didn't know how to do them. I disagree with him totally. Harold the Barrel could have made an excellent hit. But if it doesn't get recognized and given airtime, well we'll never know. The question isn't so much who made them Pop. I can forgive them for an occasional hit, after all (BTW the first hit was actually I know What I Like...). The question is, or should be; Why did they abandon Prog? We're they still capable of doing Prog as a trio? I'm left wondering about that when I hear the Neo-Prog attempt of Second Home By the Sea.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 04:24
Well, they started off as a pop group until the winter of 69 in the cottage and they heard King Crimson and saw The Nice.  I don't think they abandoned prog totally (the excellent Chester Thompson even had trouble playing 'Down and Out' live such was the fiendishness of Collins's tempo...) but just marginalised it in favour of standard song formats.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 20:37
Squonk obviously came from that book---the whole of Trick is a series of fractured fairy tails----but it was stated many times--Squonk was written in reference to Peter leaving the band and crying backstage a lot during the Lamb tour ----having a lot of problems at the time.

But I also think as far as late 80's and early 90's prog---Genesis thanks to Banks songs always had updated but proggy songs on them along with the pop singles. Trevor Rabin once said he wished Yes west could do the same---some pop singles and some long prog like songs around the time Talk came out-- but that never happened has Rabin doesn;t have the writing chops that Genesis had----songs like Dodo, Domino, Fading lights, Home by the sea, and Driving the Last spike are certainly not pop but updated prog.

Edited by twosteves - February 01 2017 at 20:42
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 21:09

Squonk obviously came from that book---the whole of Trick is a series of fractured fairy tails----but it was stated many times--Squonk was written in reference to Peter leaving the band and crying backstage a lot during the Lamb tour ----having a lot of problems at the time.

But I also think as far as late 80's and early 90's prog---Genesis thanks to Banks songs always had updated but proggy songs on them along with the pop singles. Trevor Rabin once said he wished Yes west could do the same---some pop singles and some long prog like songs around the time Talk came out-- but that never happened has Rabin doesn;t have the writing chops that Genesis had----songs like Dodo, Domino, Fading lights, Home by the sea, and Driving the Last spike are certainly not pop but updated prog.

Endless Dream is a wonderful prog song on Talk that for me is the perfect prog epic for the 90's, and as far as I understand, it's mainly Trevor's song.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 01:28
Just to add my 2 cents here, I love all of Genesis and the solo bits.  But my favorite Genesis era is 1976-79, so:

Trick of The Tail
Spot The Pigeon EP
Seconds Out
Wind & Wuthering
AND
...and then there were three..

These are my favorites.  I respect the Gabriel stuff, but this era was just a little more enjoyable for me.

Edited by cemego - February 02 2017 at 01:29
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 07:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Endless Dream is a wonderful prog song on Talk that for me is the perfect prog epic for the 90's, and as far as I understand, it's mainly Trevor's song.

True-- it hasn't held up for me the way the late Genesis songs have but you are right---unfortunately there are no good pop songs on that album just cheesy bad one's---with the exception of one or two.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 08:27
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Banks once objected in an interview many years ago that the Pop direction was always there, that as early as Nursery Cryme, they tried short songs, but they didn't know how to do them. I disagree with him totally. Harold the Barrel could have made an excellent hit. But if it doesn't get recognized and given airtime, well we'll never know. The question isn't so much who made them Pop. I can forgive them for an occasional hit, after all (BTW the first hit was actually I know What I Like...). The question is, or should be; Why did they abandon Prog? We're they still capable of doing Prog as a trio? I'm left wondering about that when I hear the Neo-Prog attempt of Second Home By the Sea.

I think the role of Collins is understated in the pop-ification of Genesis.  As in, it probably goes back way earlier and wasn't just a light switch change in the 80s. If you take the tracks of Trick of the Tail, esp Squonk or the title track, they would fit on a non prog album, no problem.  Most of the tracks have fairly uncomplicated intros, at least by prog standards, and are pretty easy to get into.  It's hands down their most accessible album up to that point.  Now what changed from Lamb to Trick?  Basically Gabriel leaving and Collins becoming their frontman.  So perhaps he was already keen on a more pop direction, starting with 'watered' down prog (I put it in quotes because Trick is an excellent album nevertheless), since he was already fond of Motown.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 09:00

Harold the Barrel a possible pop hit? What an offbeat suggestion.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:03
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

TBH, if label-mates Lindisfarne could do it with something as oddball as Fog on The Tyne the same year as HTB (both 71)....

ClaudeV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:27
I heard Banks in an interview saying that him and Hackett were the two pushing for progier stuff, and when Steve left the balance in the band changed. That led to ATTWT that gave them their first real hit single. So after that, I think aiming for other hit singles was mandatory for them. I think the biggest problem was not the fact that they did simpler songs. It has always been the case. The real problem was the style of the pop songs they made in the 80's. Misunderstanding, No reply at all, Paperlate, and stuff like that after were at odd with the classical sound of Genesis. Also, had to that the fact that with Phil solo success, there was no way to keep him in the band without doing poppier stuff similar to his solo work. By then he was a huge star and long gone were the days when he did not want to be the singer or wanted Genesis to become an instrumental band.

That being said, Genensis kept a good progressive side in the 80's. It reminds me of Mike Oldfield at the time with half a record for pop stuff and the other half for prog stuff. Also, if you add great albums like Please don't touch, Spectral Mornings, Smallcreep's day, Curious feeling, Melt and Security, i think the Genesis guys gave us really good adventurous music.

Edited by ClaudeV - February 02 2017 at 13:03
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 11:59
Tony Banks ruined Brand X
Magma America Great Make Again
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 11:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

TBH, if label-mates Lindisfarne could do it with something as oddball as Fog on The Tyne the same year as HTB (both 71)....

Fair enough.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 12:56
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

The band that Genesis could have been!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 13:18
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

How? Did he demand that Collins abandon this side project and devote all his energy to their band? I mean, I just don't get your comment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>