Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis or Pink Floyd album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Genesis or Pink Floyd album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [65.85%]
28 [34.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 07:59
The Lamb is one of the few Genesis things that I quite like, but...

Risultati immagini per the wall live
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 09:12
What an absolutely ludicrisp poll.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 10:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is by far the best album Genesis ever made. "The Wall" on the other hand is even worse than "Animals", which in my opinion marks the beginning of the decline of Pink Floyd

I agree about The Lamb. My fave used to be Trick, but in recent years I've fallen back in love with the Lamb.

I do like The wall though, and Animals is the best Floyd album IMO..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:16
I've come to realise that there is a huge love for Genesis on this forum, one which I'm afraid I don't altogether share, well as much as anyone who owns five Genesis CDs can say they aren't a lover of Genesis.
When I saw the choice my first reaction was no contest, it has to be The Wall, but I can see that as I was inj the Genesis vs Marillion threads, I'm swimming against the tide.

I love The Wall. I think it is brilliant from start to finish, an opinion I also hold  for   every Pink Floyd album  from Dark Side of the Moon to The Final Cut as well as The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Radio kAOS and Amused to Death

But I could never get into The Lamb...  well apart from Carpet Crawlers, Counting Out Time and the sublime Chamber of 32 Doors
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:17
The Lamb wins hands down over The Wall. But The Wall walks over Genesis albums.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:20
I admit it's really close but for me personally the Lamb just has too much filler on it. It doesn't drag on like some of topographic does but still I think it would have been a better single album. The Wall seems more cohesive to me and although there are some slightly boring or quiet parts it all seems to work well and I like the special effects and the clever way in which it was put together. Maybe more of an art rock album than true full blown prog but I still like it. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 11:27
Two very different, yet excellent and powerful albums. It's hard to say which is my favorite, since I love and enjoy them both.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 12:05
The Wall by far, as its not only my favorite PF album, but my favorite album in general. The Lamb has waaaay too much filler for my liking, though it is still my favorite Genesis record.
The most dangerous man in America.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 12:56
Le Mur
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 13:48
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

The Wall by far, as its not only my favorite PF album, but my favorite album in general. The Lamb has waaaay too much filler for my liking, though it is still my favorite Genesis record.

there is no filler whatever on "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:15
Definitely the Lamb, though I like The Wall as well.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:29

Yes there is. Much of sides three and four, in fact.

Anyhow, I still love both, but The Wall is a classic and made up a deep part of the soundtrack to my angry youth.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 14:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Anyhow, I still love both, but The Wall is a classic and made up a deep part of the soundtrack to my angry youth.

no, there is not. every single track has significance. if you don't like certain tracks, fine. but filler they are not

Edited by BaldJean - January 30 2017 at 14:45

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 15:02

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

no, there is not. every single track has significance. if you don't like certain tracks, fine. but filler they are not

I am afraid that I have always subscribed to the school of " great single,album, too much for a double". Interestingly, Banks said much the same on the last BBC documentary, much to Gabriel's chagrin.

You are right, though, that Gabriel wrote the album as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a magnificent album, just an album I have always thought of as a flawed masterpiece.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 17:52
PF is my fav band and while The Wall is not my fav album from them, I prefer it to the Lamb. Never could understand exactly what Gabriel was getting at with The Lamb story. Then again, The Wall is no walk in the park either but I am very surprised that it's getting thumbed in this poll.

Edited by tdfloyd - January 30 2017 at 17:54
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 20:27
Genesis.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 20:53
Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

PF is my fav band and while The Wall is not my fav album from them, I prefer it to the Lamb. Never could understand exactly what Gabriel was getting at with The Lamb story. Then again, The Wall is no walk in the park either but I am very surprised that it's getting thumbed in this poll.

Unfortunatley, I'm not surprised... I expected it.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 23:24
CLEARLY, the LAMB if only for the lyric, "There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston Cigarettes..."

I could listen to the pairing of "Anyway" leading into "Here Comes the Supernatural Anesthetist" over and over again.

I find the Wall to be one of the most whiny, miserable, depressing progressive rock albums in existence.  Never cared for it.  The Lamb seems like an adventure to me.  The Wall seems like misery and futility.  I like adventure better.

And I DO like Pink Floyd, so please, don't hate me...

Edited by cemego - January 30 2017 at 23:33
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 05:24
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

CLEARLY, the LAMB if only for the lyric, "There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston Cigarettes..."

I could listen to the pairing of "Anyway" leading into "Here Comes the Supernatural Anesthetist" over and over again.

I find the Wall to be one of the most whiny, miserable, depressing progressive rock albums in existence.  Never cared for it.  The Lamb seems like an adventure to me.  The Wall seems like misery and futility.  I like adventure better.

And I DO like Pink Floyd, so please, don't hate me...

Whiny, miserable, and depressing is NOT The Wall. The Wall was their album that did the most for the world. The others all set an example for prog bands, and had great instrumentals, and... overall, they were indescribable. But The Wall inspired Germans to tear down their wall, and to escape from their destructive tyranny. I was not around during this time, and have not read on the historic impact, but the stories I've heard are enough to convince me so. 

The meaning behind The Wall is so well thought out... Misery and futility? Maybe that's what makes it so great... it's talking about a guy with a metaphorical wall in his head, so that he can't make decisions, and is blocking himself from doing what's right. 

And then there's Comfortably Numb... that's my favorite song of all time, and though I might prefer albums like Animals, WYWH, and DSOTM to The Wall, The Wall is still mastery.

The LLDOB is genius, and is also great. I happen to prefer The Wall. But that doesn't matter because they're both amazing.

Just don't say such ridiculous baloney about The Wall.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 08:15
What is this?  A News site?  I wasn't posting about Trump or Hillary?  I was just stating my opinion!  Sheeez!  So my opinion is baloney?  Man, relax and go back to a news site.  I ask humbly to not hate me and you did anyways!

Sheeez.  We cant have an unpopular opinion at all on the internet anymore can we.  I guess I have to love Beyonce and Rhianna and give up my love of prog music too because it's not popular enough for you?

Man!  Listen to your own favorite!!  You sound like your lyrics:  "If I had my way, I'd have you all shot!"

Sheeez!   RELAX!  IT'S JUST MUSIC.  We can all like what we like and not like what we don't like.  My opinion is no less baloney and ridiculousness then yours.  Be the first and stop it with the internet abuse.  I didn't call anyone's opinion crap, I just stated how I felt.  That's what this forum AND THESE POLLS ARE FOR RIGHT?  If you are gonna chew someone out for their opinion, then why have a poll?  Are you bating people to troll them?
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>