Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 07:59
^^ Pizza rat..... lol.....that could be Trumps new logo....a rat eating pizza in New York....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 03:44
I'd be willing to bet Trump will be your president for another 4 years.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:26
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

What you forget is that she had more of the popular vote than Trump 

What you forget is that she had more of the popular vote of those who cared to get out there and vote. Lots of people in blue states consistently stay home because of the predictability of the outcome. But why do you think the Democrats don't want to get rid of the electoral college then? What if all those people did go to the polling stations and did vote? Are you sure Hillary would get the popular vote?

Actually, surveys have shown that the Democrats have leaned towards wanting the popular vote to determine the election of a president for the past 18 years. That won't happen because amending the Constitution is very difficult. Republicans also leaned toward that during the Obama years, but they changed their views on this after the 2016 election. 

Of registered voters, 48% are registered Democrat, 44% are registered Republican, so no, there is no way to be certain that Clinton would have gotten the popular vote if everyone that was registered did so. But what I was originally trying to point out in my post was that the election was much closer than Trump supporters think it was (facts are not something they necessarily believe in).

As an aside note: I think most of us can agree that voter turnout should increase if the winner was decided on the popular vote, whether you're a Republican living in Philadelphia or a Democrat living in rural Utah, provided you actually had a pool of good candidates to pick from.

I am well aware of the complexities of the Constitutional Amendment process but so are the people in power I'm sure. And by "the Democrats" I meant those in poewer, not the 48% rank and file. Don't you think this is the reason they talk about getting rid of the electoral college so eagerly in public? Barbara Boxer introducing a bill while being absolutely sure it won't reach the Senate floor? What they could have done instead is changing the state election system like Maine did: congressional elector goes to the district winner, and both senate electors to the state winner. Still not perfect but much closer to the popular vote system, much better representation. But if you look at the vote by congressional district you will get the answer. There are too many red districts  even in such Democratic strongholds like NY, CA, MA, and IL, and solid 30%+ of popular vote in those states goes to the Republicans.
As for Hillary winning the popular vote, this fact is too well publicized for Trump supporters denying it. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 17:08
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'd be willing to bet Trump will be your president for another 4 years.

I certainly won't be shocked if he wins re-election. 2020 is eons away in political time, and things can change, but as for the right now, the left certainly has to work at it. 

Edited by Man With Hat - July 06 2018 at 17:08
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 17:23
Putin denied meddling in US elections...so obviously it didn't happen.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 17:27
I think Trump proved today that when it comes to dealing with the real big dogs, he is a total wimp.
Either Trump is actually stupid enough to believe Putin, or Trump owes Putin something, neither is good for the US, or for the rest of the world for that matter.

Edited by Easy Money - July 16 2018 at 17:27
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 17:51
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I think Trump proved today that when it comes to dealing with the real big dogs, he is a total wimp.
Either Trump is actually stupid enough to believe Putin, or Trump owes Putin something, neither is good for the US, or for the rest of the world for that matter.

We have a traitor in the White House.

Either that, or a deluded narcissist so lost in his own alternate reality that he can no longer function as president or protect American democracy.

Former CIA Director John Brennan stated unequivocally: "Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to and exceeds the threshold of 'high crimes and misdemeanors'. It was nothing short of treasonous." Trump was called out by several Republican senators about his disgraceful cock-fluffery of Putin, and even Neil Cavuto of FOX News (yes, even FOX News) called Trump's refusal to confront Putin "disgusting".

Trump's own appointee, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats felt compelled to issue a statement immediately after Trump's taint licking of Putin, which in part said, "We have been clear in our assessments of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy, and we will continue to provide unvarnished and objective intelligence in support of our national security."

It's time to put politics aside. It's time for all patriots to stand up for the U.S. against a deluded man with a huge ego and small hands who has sold out our country to the Russians. Impeach him, then jail him along with the rest of the traitors.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 19:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It's time to put politics aside. It's time for all patriots to stand up for the U.S. against a deluded man with a huge ego and small hands who has sold out our country to the Russians. Impeach him, then jail him along with the rest of the traitors.

Interesting, that's exactly what the extremists in the South were saying about John Kennedy (not that you're an extremist).   Much different time of course, but the same statements.

Trump is neither a traitor nor is he dumb.   He's an individual who was elected into office and is exercising that authority as vested in him by voters.   Neil Cavuto?   Cavuto is a fairly independent thinker who will often criticize or disagree with conservative leaders, which I respect.   In Trump's mind, the Russians hacked us but therefore what?   Of course they hacked us, why wouldn't they?   Trump is a scoundrel who understands undercutting, cheating and misleading, so he knows it when he sees it and is not threatened by it.   He's a 'strongman', if you will, and his supporters are getting exactly what they wanted.   Oh, democracy.

Edited by Atavachron - July 16 2018 at 19:12
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 19:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Interesting, that's exactly what the extremists in the South were saying about John Kennedy (not that you're an extremist).   Much different time of course, but the same statements.

What you lack here is context and historical perspective. The South said the same thing about Lincoln as they said about Kennedy. The South is still fighting the Civil War today, and now they have a president who thinks they're "good people". What is different is that Kennedy threatened to blow Khrushchev to kingdom come, and he meant it, and Khrushchev backed down. 

But Trump literally threw every U.S. Intelligence agent from the CIA, FBI, NSA and National Intelligence Agency under the bus. Trump has resisted putting the Russian sanctions Congress voted overwhelmingly for into place. Trump has not issued any orders, executive or otherwise, to assure the Russian attacks that are still continuing are ceased. Mueller just indicted 12 Russian GRU agents (read the 29 page indictment, it is about as conclusive and thorough as one can get), but Trump ignored the calls from his own party not to meet with Putin. The U.S. just arrested a Russian spy with ties to the N.R.A. and the Trump campaign. And now this appalling display of "fluffing the Putin".  It isn't "extremist" to put your country before an enemy state that has been unequivocally proven to have attacked you. 

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Trump is neither a traitor nor is he dumb.   He's an individual who was elected into office and is exercising that authority as vested in him by voters. 

You and I will have to disagree. As I stated, if he isn't a traitor, he is so deluded he can no longer be trusted to protect this country. Trump said over 3,000 documented lies since inauguration and exhibits each and every trait of having Narcissistic Personality Disorder. We have a time bomb in the White House.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 19:45
^ Though I tend to agree, that is almost a conservative argument, and if his right-wing base continues to support him they are going to have to face the fact that he's weak on defense.   Ironic.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 20:42
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Putin denied meddling in US elections...so obviously it didn't happen.

Whew. Well that makes me feel better. :) 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 20:52
Putin/trump

Quel triste spectacle, ça donne mal au coeur/You can count me out, folks.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 04:46
I suppose I can understand people being a teensy-weensy bit upset, but on the other hand nothing at all unexpected happened the last week.

You bought it, you own it.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:49
The US meddle with other nations' elections all the time. If that's illegal, maybe the FBI should do something about it instead of sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Good for Trump for being honest, it's not his fault that the three-letter agencies are so corrupt.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:01
^ Since you live in a country that is close to Russia, maybe your fearless leader can kiss Putin's ass and invite the Ruskies over to show your citizens the 'tough love' they have shared in the past with Poland, Lithuania and so many others.
I hear it is quite a party, especially if you are Jewish or homosexual.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:26

You mean Trump colluded with the Russians? Have you ever seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgQaFlo_p8

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:41
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Since you live in a country that is close to Russia, maybe your fearless leader can kiss Putin's ass and invite the Ruskies over to show your citizens the 'tough love' they have shared in the past with Poland, Lithuania and so many others.
I hear it is quite a party, especially if you are Jewish or homosexual.
I personally have no such fantasies, but I'm also not that obsessed with war that I'd instinctively perceive friendly relations between two countries as something undesirable.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:54
^ based on recent and past history, I would not trust the Russian government, the Russian people yes, but not the government.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 14:51
Re INVORD's youtube clip:

Wow, hundreds of government officials who would love to pin something negative on Obama were not able to spot the collusion in that video, yet you nailed it, that is so awesome.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 15:38

Only one? We have at least four dozens of them in the countries that participate in the Evil Union, if I count in only the heads of the respective governments and the members of the Evil Commission. I feel forced to congratulate ye lucky ones west of the pool .

One does not need to have amazing powers of observation to see that there has been quite a lot of pacemaking against Russia by the mainstream media and the political leaders. On 17 July 2014, flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was shot down above Donetsk, Ukraine. In the same time, a trade agreement between the EU and Ukraine was in the making, so this incident was very inconvenient from a political point of view. Four years later, no satisfactory investigation report has been released. Nevertheless the outcome was fixed: Russia should get the blame.

Edited by someone_else - July 18 2018 at 02:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 434>