FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 12:44
I think it is a bit more serious a condition to their long term health than hemeroids or syphilis hahah

That is the problem for them... for the most part Trump has just been riding the bus on policy. As I noted earlier, he never intended to become President, didn't run TO be elected. Only lay the ground work for his TV gig but in being elected he had no ideological thrust, nothing he really cared about (other than himself and his brand name of course)

So it has been the very swamp that has driving the policy bus.. and that is the very large problem that will continue well after Trump has dragged the Repubican brand name through the dog sh*t.

They still have no practical solutions to problems...  only soundbytes easily given when in opposition but lacking any foundation in reality.

The problem for them of course is they are very soon heading back the minority where they are most happy. Easier to throw bombs and be against than to find real solutions to real problems as the Democrats have had to do especially in the mess Bush light left the country.  So the Republican Party will regain its comfort zone and do what it has done, ignore the looming reaper in teh form of demographic changes and play to their meathead supports for in their political calculus Steve, the butchers bill won't come due until they have left Congress. It would be political suicide for anyone to stand out and shout out what they are know to be true Steve. The party has no clothes and needs to change and move left, not to the right, to survive. That is why I give the Republican Party 2 decades...and it will die and be replaced in our 2 party system. Perhaps less.. but that depends on the next two (or less years) of the disastrous (for that Party as well as our country) Trump Presidency.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 12:53
Not to be downer but I feel we ought to fix the Dem party and forget about these louses. Their disease just runs deep and they will never change. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:06
as Ive said many a time.. the Democrats have their own issues to resolve and that will make the bloodbath on the right of the last few years look tame.... which is pretty much over thanks to Trump and Trump voter...and moderates are fleeing that party. The kooks, nutty, bigoted and simply ingnorant won over the moderate and pragmantic old Republian Party. It is dead, or on life support unless Kaisich saves it in 2020. But unless he clears the bases with a 2 out 2 strike bomb.. the moderate Republican Party is dead.

but where are they to go.. for now they will go 3rd party and Democratic but the Democratic Party is about to (is already starting) have the mother of battles between its moderate and 'exteme' elements.  I do think that much like the Republicans the extreme will win out, that is where the passion and energy are at and those are not subject to apathy and get out to vote....and I suspect that when that happens the leftovers Democrat and Republian will form a party that will replace the dead right wing, nativist White socially conservative and ideologically bankrupt economically Republican Party.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:08
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:18
he is right in that if people expect Trump to lose without making an effort themselves..  he can win..  however there is zero reason based on voting numbers we are seeing to think Trump is reelected due to apathy.. Democrats have shown up in massive numbers to vote in elections since Trump was elected. Perhaps the only good Trump has done, awoken some.. not all.. but some to the dangers of apathy.  If we are only lucky if we avoid him showing the dangers of ignorance to the point where even those that voted for him see the dangers of electing someone so completely unsuited and unqualified again to be President. 

the only way Trump wins in 2020 is by starting a war, or Hillary pulling the ULTIMATE Henry Hoodini/George Romero act politically.

As I've noted.. I think it far more likely he becomes the first President in our history to get primary'd. Republicans do know the score.. and they know that sub 40 approval rates get you murdered in a general election. 

Edited by micky - September 16 2018 at 13:22
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:32
I found it interesting that it was his theory that Trump actually wrote the op/ed letter or at least dictated it/approved at is written by one of his minions.  A perfect distraction for his supporters to unite against.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:45
yeah but there is no lack for things for them to rally behind him against sadly..

I know there are some that consider him a political genius.. but I consider them idiots.  

If Trump had any smarts he would have taken the unique situation he had and run with that. Bridged the divide between Republican and Democat as only a true polkitical outsider could have. He might have lost some of his more knucklheaded 'good people' support. .but gained a great deal more from the center.

If he was smart he would know that he only became President through teh skin of his teeth and is not going to have the luxury of facing HIllary or benefit from wides pride Democratic apathy again. Thus he needs to appeal to those that didn't support him. Has he done that.. even attempted to do so? Nope. Not in the least

I do think.. feel strongly he has no desire to win reelection in 2020 and just will be himself till the ride ends.  I don't think he has found the experience to be particularly enjoyable and suspect he is smart enough to realize he is completely out of his depth and over his head in DC and would rather return to the business world. Espeically before the details of his finances and contacts become common knowledge. Though I suspect he'll resign before he the sh*t really hits the fan and hope his brand name and business get through it all relatively unscathed. For make no mistake.. he cares more about that than being President.

Edited by micky - September 16 2018 at 13:49
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 18:15
I've never been a big fan of Michael Moore, he has good things to say sometimes, and then other times ...

But his idea that the NY Times op-ed came from a trump minion makes no sense at all. There is no way to find any logical motivation in that direction.
The op-ed letter is either exactly what it claims to be, or its just some sort of fabricated anti-trump propaganda, its either one of those two.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 15:04
Related image
So, you Republicans wouldn't even consider Marrick Garland for the Supreme Court? You didn't even have the decency of holding Senate confirmation hearings when you could have just voted against him anyway. Well, we just sent Brett Kavanaugh crashing to the ground in flames! And just 50 days before the mid term elections when the important voters will be disgruntled women. Revenge really is a dish that's served better cold!

Edited by SteveG - September 17 2018 at 15:11
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 18:24
that's cute Steve.. hahah.. but I think you are jumping the gun there. He ain't dead yet..  or is he.. but for other reasons...

I think Flake definitely votes against him (revenge for sure).. but still need one more Republican defection and every single Democratic Senator to vote against him.  A lot will depend on the upcoming hearings.

personally I think he is dead meat..  sort of a cosmic karma for Merrit Garland but I think he is dead for a more insidiious reason. YOu mentioned angry women voters..   having Kavanaugh fall by the wayside pretty much likely guaranties the GOP holds on to the Senate.  The Democrats are already highly energized.. this won't do that much more than they already are... but ask yourself what really drives Republican voters..

conservatizing the Federal judiciary.

This would be a giaint helping of read meat for the Republican voters.   The campaign furor will get ratcheted up about 1000 degrees  to help drive out the Repubican vote where at the moment energy and passion are at a low.  Perhaps even to tip all 4 of the Republican seats (democratic pickups) that they would need to take to take control and they currently lead in 3 of 4 in the polls (TX being a dead heat).. and tip those back to the Repubicans.

Having the new SCOTUS pick go into the next legislative session is actually the best thing the Repubicans can hope for to mitagate what by all independent assessments looks to be a midterm disaster.

and if I've thought of that.. you bet your sweet as the Republicans in power have as well.

Edited by micky - September 17 2018 at 18:31
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 18:38
In fact I suspect Republican leadership has already quietly asked the White House to push him aside... to get him to step aside.  Note how restrained and measured Trump's reaction to this was. definitely not his style in the least. I suppose Kavanagh will be as much a victim of power politics as Garland was.  It is a win win for the Republicans.. they either get Kavanagh and get that conservative justtice but risk losing the Senate.. or simply kick him the curb make the next pick a midterm issue to drive out the Republican vote... and likely keep the Senate and Trump merely sends another choice to them later...

Edited by micky - September 17 2018 at 18:41
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 19:44
yep... the school of political thought thinks his nomination gets pulls this week to sooner get plan B into the process before the end of the legislative term. Not taking a chance that Kavanaugh doesn't ultimately have the votes come October and take a chance of the Democrats taking the Senate (thought to be a 40% chance prior to this political bombshell) and pulling a Garland on Trump for 2 years.. and you better believe they would.. and should.

so yeah.. he's likely a goner.. but won't save the seat or give the Democrats a chance to 'steal' this all important seat. They have 2 other highly conservative judges  that can quickly be put before the Senate and go through the process before the end of December.

what this might do the Senate Midterm math?  Hard to say or see...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 03:57
^ Agree 100%. Kavanaugh is out but I'm afraid another brain eating zombie will replace him. I just love all these pot shots taken at Trump and his enablers just before the midterms like this Kavanaugh drama along with Woodward's book and the NYT's op-ed. And there's more to come, I should think, when Manafort starts singing! Can't wait!
See the source image

Edited by SteveG - September 18 2018 at 04:00
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 14:46
What? Prof. Ford may not testify on Monday? No problem as the damage is done. The Repubs will confirm a Supreme Court Justice who will forever have a black cloud hanging over his head. Just in time for the mid term elections! Clap  So, on with the show!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 21:42
It does seem Steve they are going to ignore wise political advice and convention and not ditch him.

I still don't think this ends well for the gropper...  I don't think Flake and the two women will vote for him.

that said... I have a feeling this story will have a few more twists and turns in it before it is done.

#2 on the Mick List of male advice for avoiding dangerous women .

#1 of course is obviously stay FAR FAR away from redheads.. oh yeah they will f**k your brains out and leave you begging for more.. but they are evil and will tear your soul and if particularly stupid.. your heart right out of your body and leave you a broken man who hangs out with losers and Genesis fans on prog forums hahah

however not far behind is #2..

beware of women who join their maiden name with their married nameand are referred to as such....  they are dangerous man. DO NOT f**k WITH THEM OR PISS THEM OFF

I think she is playing a game here with the Senate.. she does sort of hold the cards. and is avoiding being rushed into the hearing Monday and wants to be fully prepared.   Of course she is a completely legit accuser.. no one puts themselves through this just for kicks.  The right wing hit squads and character assassination squads are already out in force for her.  She will take her time.. not the Senates timetable.. beforre going before the Senate. 

this will be very interesting moving forward... because I don't see a chance in hell of him getting 50 votes until she does have her say.  Which again makes the decision to not dump Kavanaugh a very risky one for the control of the Senate come January is very much an open contest.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 21:55
I guess she wants the FBI to investigate this before she will appear before the Senate.

smart woman.. delaying this is extremely bad news for Kavanaugh and the Repubicans... they want this done quickly... but then again..  I haven't many who use their maiden names that aren't smart haha.  When was the last time you got someone at WalMart or Waffle House (ohhhh.. smothered, covered and chunked.. thanks Pedro :( )who goes joins their maiden name to their married.

Edited by micky - September 18 2018 at 21:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 04:05
I feel a bit guilty that my ire is so partisan but these people soooo deserve it. It was worth it to see Mitch McConnell's reaction yesterday, on the Senate floor, when he looked like he literally had smoke pouring out of his ears with the realization that the Dems have finally taken the gloves off and will respond to the Repubs on their level. They are shocked and sh*t scared along with old Donald who has had to bight his tongue over this debacle and, for once, act totally out of character. But in the long run, given the age of several Supreme Court Justices, we may well see a few more Republican appointed justices before all is said and done. And we lefty's will have to live with that for the next 40 or so years. Damn! Now I'm sh*t scared!

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2018 at 09:37
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 18:33
don't feel guilty my friend for you are not the only one. 

One can only take so much before one becomes 'radicalized' which is exactly what we are seeing.

For years Steve we sat back politiely while Republicans burned up this country and used us as the enemies to mobilize their voters.

It is about time, and Trump did it, where the gloves are off. You, me, and countless others have finally had the apathy knocked off of us and are willing to be as partisan and as nasty as Republicans and their voters have been for years.

The turning point for me though came during the Bush light administrattin when a draft dodging 'hawk' of a VP thought it reasonable to question the patriotism of those who opposed; the 2nd Gulf War simply for pure politics.

ummm..  I was there in the first one and memories of that remain and haunt me to this day but regardess of the afterefects and how I felt we had our patriotism and love of our country used by those in power I still remain extreme;ly proud of my service even in spite of all the the aftereffects of seeing the true horrors of war. However Republicans have long since crossed the Rubicon of putting party over country and have assed kicked the Democrats who had nobly tried to debate the issues.. facts and figures when Republicans stired emotinos and fear.

about time Democrats get with the program.   I do believe the single greatest thing the Trump election did was drive us further apart as a nation and citizens.   And for me, I don't feel a damn bit sorry for it, I didn't vote the motherf**ker... they did.. they are what has driven in knife into the heart of our unity.

So like you, I have, as have many, have finally tired of trying to retain the moral high ground and think of American first.

At this ;point,  America does not begin to regain its former preeminent moral statue not only until Trump is gone, but we see Republicans and what they stand for fade into the dusts of history and a changing country and world they are powerless to stop.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 03:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The turning point for me though came during the Bush light administrattin when a draft dodging 'hawk' of a VP thought it reasonable to question the patriotism of those who opposed; the 2nd Gulf War simply for pure politics.

Trump is further from Cheney on foreign policy than Hillary was. Heck, even Bernie went along with Obama and Hillary on the toppling of Gaddafi.

Where is the principled anti-war stance on the left? That's the main reason I was there in the first place. Even Ocasio Cortez gushed over McCain recently! I shat bricks when I saw that. She didn't have to say all that just because some warhawk neocon psychopath died. First she makes her anti-Zionist comments, and now she praises McCain? The system got to her.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 07:01
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Where is the principled anti-war stance on the left? 

easy answer it doesn't exist.. 

the left does not conform to cookie cutter right wing caracutures...  how much do hear about the pro-gun rights left.  In the minds of FauxNews indoctrinated idiots they don't exist 

but just as much as being hawkish..  it is a natural and reasonable extension of the core beliefs that take those of us to the left side of the political spectrum.

As we discussed earlier.. the days of the Military being a conservative voting incubator are passing quickly.  Look at all the scores of veterans running on the left in this election cycle.

There are a good number of political caracutures long held that simply don't apply anymore. That Democrats are pussies and weak on national security and that Republians are fiscally conservative haha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 434>