Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 13:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

We've been in a sort of cold civil war since the Civil War ended.

it is the culture war David....and yeah the same old issues from back then are still at the root of it... for years waged by the Right on the Left...full of demonized and vile... now that Trump has finally awakened them...it seems the left is returning the hate.. with interest.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 13:42
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah that's the fear Mick. Domestic policy is tough and complicated, but foreign policy the President has pretty clear supremacy. Tis the point after all, we want a Commander in Chief but a weak executive on the home front. So Trump's...personality and style, certainly is a bit alarming. 

Though on the domestic front, Trump had a "very friendly" talk with Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte, praising him and inviting him to the WH some day. This is the guy famous for being a "law and order" mayor where he just had anyone accused of being a drug criminal killed without question and encouraged vigilante (or is it mob?) justice. He called Obama a "son of a whore" that can "go to hell", threatened to pull out of the "stupid"  because Ban Ki-moon was a disrespectful "son of a bitch" and said as Mayor he "should've been first" to rape a Missionary who was gang raped, only half assedly apologizing for the comment. I'm sure Trump is 100% sincere, this is clearly the type of guy Trump could be good friends with! 

makes perfect sense really when you take his comments yesterday into account.. you can see why he so admires the strongmen, dictators etc...  you can feel his frustration with our system of checks and balances. Goes to show again the practical difference today between Democrat and Republican.  Proven many times over the years but put into even more context by Trump and his Congress. Democrats try to govern...  find consensus and compromise....Repubicans dictate.. try to rule. I wish I could say that is a subtle difference.. but the f**k if  it is... that is why the Republicans can't accomplish anything.

They have shown themselves to be so tied to their ideology and ideological purity and imposing that through legislation that they are unable or unwilling to seek other paths.. thus when you don't have the votes.. and they don't.. holding slim majoriies in both houses of Congress.. then nothing gets done. The alternative is to compromise and as we have seen.. those that do.. or even suggest it.. are turned upon by their party and set upon by packs of wild dogs hahaha

Edited by micky - May 03 2017 at 13:44
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 14:01
So long Obama Care. Welcome to No Pre Existing Condition Trump Care. Well done, you sh*t heads. Well done.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 14:20
It will never pass the Senate and what the Senate sends back to the House will never pass the House.  At this point, it is still just political showmanship.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 14:27
I hope you're right. But after bashing Obama Care for 7 years and having no replacement, the Repubs look like idiots and they know it. This bill just might squeak through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 16:04
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It will never pass the Senate and what the Senate sends back to the House will never pass the House.  At this point, it is still just political showmanship.

Which is what everyone said about Trump.  In this case I hope you're right.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 19:06
All Republicans are now my personal enemies.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 19:30
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

It's getting exceedingly hard to figure out where they are coming from. They seem to hate more things than they believe in. They are petty and vindictive. Not a soul to share among the lot of them. This isn't the America I grew up believing in.

why do the faithful have such a will to believe in something?
And call it the name they choose,
having chosen nothing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 03:44
ehhh...  two ways to look at this....

one... the poltics of it. Both sides won here.  The Republicans can claim a victory, knowning the bill is dogsh*t and will never survive the Senate, it was a symbolic vote.  However Democrats were obviously hoping the Republicans would be stupid enough to do this...  not publicly obviously.. but privately...  the anger this will generate could and likely will swing the House in 2018. 

The political reality here was the House Republicans were f**ked either way they went... pass nothing and let Obamacare continue.. or pass something draconian whose basis was grounded in the fiscal side rather than.. ummm.. providing HEALTHCARE hahah... that repeals something 60% of Americans have come to support.  Lose lose.. and in that situation they did what they had to do.. play to their knucklehead supporters and at least not alienate them. REPEAL REPEAL REPEAL.LOL

two... the reality of it. I think Scott nailed it.  It was understood.. hell even sold TO those in the House that were against this bill or potentially against it that this bill would be DOA in the Senate.  This was a symbolic vote to repeal Obamacare, yet the politics of it mandated they had to replace it with something.. a something they passed yesterday that no one knows who much it costs, saves, or how many it affects negatively.  This bill was never intended to be .. the replacement.. that heavy lifting was placed directly on the Senate and it is thought the Senate will actually come up with something feasible. And as Scott notes... most likely the House isn't going to like it one bit.  

The first shot.... of a very long battle...  wouldn't be surprised to see Obamacare exist into 2018.  And on the bright side.. when the Democrats retake power.. looking at you 2020... first thing they likey do.. is scrap THIS GOP bill.

Edited by micky - May 05 2017 at 04:01
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 08:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It's getting exceedingly hard to figure out where they are coming from. They seem to hate more things than they believe in. They are petty and vindictive. Not a soul to share among the lot of them. This isn't the America I grew up believing in.

having chosen nothing.

One of the big myths sold by the media, including and especially the spineless mainstream media (though I understand why), it's that of the "poor Trump voter who votes out of his/her economic situation because he/she has been forgotten" blah blah blah. 

For sure there are thousands of those. But many, I would say most, Trump voters and current Republican voters vote out of spite, out of a sense of trying to negate to others what they don;t have. Don;t paint me lyrical images of a pure rural innocent who is desperate about everything and just wants to move ahead. Hate motivated this election and our current situation more than any other thing. 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 16:40
One of the driving factors for putting an idiot in the white house is because the democrats ran a badly flawed candidate who had a ton of skeletons in her closet. I voted for her, being a life long democrat but for sure I lacked confidence in her chances. Go back in this thread and you will see that I said Trump would eat her alive and that is what happened. Perhaps America was meant to have a crazy president, what we have now is one sick headcase.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:02

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

having chosen nothing.

One of the big myths sold by the media, including and especially the spineless mainstream media (though I understand why), it's that of the "poor Trump voter who votes out of his/her economic situation because he/she has been forgotten" blah blah blah. 

For sure there are thousands of those. But many, I would say most, Trump voters and current Republican voters vote out of spite, out of a sense of trying to negate to others what they don;t have. Don;t paint me lyrical images of a pure rural innocent who is desperate about everything and just wants to move ahead. Hate motivated this election and our current situation more than any other thing. 

agreed that 'Trump' had little to do with economics.. and don't bang too hard on the media.. they know as much as we do what drove 'Trump'.  It is something not easily discused.. look at the feathers that get ruffled when it is brought up. An ugly truth...  it is our history.. and it still remains entrenched in our nation and in large segments of society and Trump played to it... and was quite obvious about it.

disagree for that is not what it is Teo.. and you know it... hate did motive Trump voter.. but it wasn't f**king ' negating what other had.. it was about the lose of white privilege and white america...Trump played to that from day 1 of his campaign.  It resonated, still does apparently with the ignorant, uneducated, poor, and homogenous regions of this country.. and fell flat among enlightened, well educated, well off...and most notably those regions that are racially diverse.

but yes agreed.. hate drove 'Trump' and his voters..  some will admit it.. some won't.. and sure there are individual exceptions.. there always are which is why politics is a study in group sociology.. not individual psychology. That is what his 'populist' campaign tapped into. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:08
Now I hear the same riffs in the French campaign (and a familiar 'leak'), Le Pen targeting Macron for basically being a banker.  I hope Trump's missteps will caution enough people against voting for Le Pen.  But if the electorate still decides to punt, man, Putin is gonna go for a powerplay in Europe.  EU falling apart would literally be a dream scenario for him.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:14
and this Health Care bill in the Senate... yes... it will interesting to watch.  Strongly suspect what will come out of it will be much closer to Obamacare.. than Ryan/Trumphavenocare.  Even less margin for losing votes.. and the Senate is far more moderate.. not to mention 'big picture' than the localized ideologically driven House.

Will be really interested to see.. a) just how long this takes... there are a lot of powerful forces wanting to push this through quickly to take advantage of 'reconciliation' to push through mamoth tax cuts to the corporate and very rich and of course the big b) just what the House does with a bill that the Freedom Caucus will likely choke over for I strongly suspect, reading just what these GOP senators have been saying.. they plan on keeping many of the vital points OF Obamacare.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:19
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Now I hear the same riffs in the French campaign (and a familiar 'leak'), Le Pen targeting Macron for basically being a banker.  I hope Trump's missteps will caution enough people against voting for Le Pen.  But if the electorate still decides to punt, man, Putin is gonna go for a powerplay in Europe.  EU falling apart would literally be a dream scenario for him.

well then... for everyone's sake.. let's hope the f**king French are smarter than we showed ourselves to be LOL

agreed... that would be a dream for Putin wouldn't it
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:42
Old white men celebrating the new health bill. How apropos..

Edited by SteveG - May 06 2017 at 09:45
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:44
where are my sunglasses!!!! LOL 

Yep Steve...  though at least there is ONE women in there.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:46
If you say so. WinkLOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 09:53
now that is a hanging curveball over the heart of the plate.....

strike!!!!!   I just couldn't swing at that one Steve LOL

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 14:18

Out of touch. Inhumane. Dangerously ignorant.

How an elected Representative can form a sentence and utter such nonsense as “Nobody dies because they don’t have access to health care,”  in front of his constituents and not expect a violent backlash merely proves that potatoes are not the only spuds coming out of Idaho.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 434>