Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 382383384385386 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:19
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I just watched it as well.
My favourite comment was something to the affect of "If I don't know the answer I'll tell you that and then find out the answer for the next time"
WTF ! Truth? Amazing ! Wink

as I recall it he said "if I don't know the answer then I'll tell you instead of making a guess". but yes, that was my favorite too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, but we didn't think Trump election was rigged.
Nope, not for a second. It was the natural pushback against the Obama presidency. I'm not one of those who was surprised that Trump won. Just ask micky.

But I always like to remind people he lost the actual popular vote...and only got in because of the Electoral College...which in the US is a topic that deserves to be debated as to whether it still is a good idea....or not.
Stern Smile

it is not a good idea. and neither is the second amendment; it does in my opinion have to go. it made sense at a time when law enforcement was not present everywhere, so being able to defend yourself was important. but this is no longer true today.

some people have argued they still need the weapons to be able to defend against someone with a gun. but this is only necessary because due to the second amendment virtually EVERYONE has a gun in the USA, and it is totally easy to legally acquire one, which is why the USA has the highest per capita rate of gun-related deaths in Western civilization. in Germany it is much more difficult to legally acquire a gun.

but I have very little hope the second amendment will disappear. for any politician it would be tantamount to political suicide to suggest something like this in a gun-loving country like the USA. keep in mind that I lived in the USA for almost the first 25 years of my life (just 4 months short of it), so I know what I am talking about
Well..my post had nothing to do with the 2nd amendment, but I also am against handguns since the only true  reason they exist are to shoot and or kill other humans ,but I have no problem with rifles and long guns if one has a hunting license and actually hunts with them.... a sport that is all over the world btw.
I do agreee it's a political hot potato and not likely to change anytime soon.

On the Electoral College...it's not a simple issue and imho anyone who says so doesn't know what they are talking about....imho. But discussion of the issue is long past due.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 15:57
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I just watched it as well.
My favourite comment was something to the affect of "If I don't know the answer I'll tell you that and then find out the answer for the next time"
WTF ! Truth? Amazing ! Wink

as I recall it he said "if I don't know the answer then I'll tell you instead of making a guess". but yes, that was my favorite too
Actually I was referring to Jen Psaki, but as you point out...a common message.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 16:07
On the whole gun issue.
As most 'foreigners' and many citizens say, there are way too many guns and it's way too easy to get them.
That being said I've been exposed to firearms pretty much all my life. From the .22 cal rifle range in my high school, where I was one of the better shots, to an uncle that had a high powered hunting rifle that he taught me how to use. Then a few years ago I was working in Michigan and a former co-worker, who is a US citizen, was working at the same plant as me. He took me to a gun range one night and we had a blast. I wish it was as accessible here in Canada. It comes down to responsibility and vetting for gun ownership IMHO.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 16:20
Not American...but Canada gets it right again.

OTTAWA — In a move without precedent in Canadian history, Governor General Julie Payette has resigned her post following a review into allegations she created a toxic, verbally abusive workplace at Rideau Hall.

Payette and the Secretary to the Governor General Assunta di Lorenzo were both alleged to have been verbally abusive towards Rideau Hall staff, belittling them and sometimes leaving them in tears. Di Lorenzo, a longtime friend of Payette’s, also resigned on Thursday.

“Everyone has a right to a healthy and safe work environment, at all times and under all circumstances,” said a statement from Payette. “It appears this was not always the case at the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General. Tensions have arisen at Rideau Hall over the past few months and for that, I am sorry.”

Payette said “it is with sureness and humility, but also with pride over what was accomplished during my tenure as Governor General and in my service to the country for the past 28 years, that I have submitted my resignation.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke with Payette in person on Wednesday. A source with close knowledge of the situation said Trudeau had requested Payette’s resignation during the conversation. Payette submitted it the following day.

A short statement from Trudeau on Thursday said Payette “has fulfilled her duties to uphold parliamentary democracy and serve the public.”

“Every employee in the Government of Canada has the right to work in a safe and healthy environment, and we will always take this very seriously,” Trudeau’s statement said. “Today’s announcement provides an opportunity for new leadership at Rideau Hall to address the workplace concerns raised by employees during the review.”

Trudeau said a replacement for Payette will be announced “in due course.” In the meantime, Supreme Court Chief Justice Richard Wagner will fulfill the governor general’s duties.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 16:36

Not American...but Canada gets it right again.

OTTAWA — In a move without precedent in Canadian history, Governor General Julie Payette has resigned her post following a review into allegations she created a toxic, verbally abusive workplace at Rideau Hall.

Payette and the Secretary to the Governor General Assunta di Lorenzo were both alleged to have been verbally abusive towards Rideau Hall staff, belittling them and sometimes leaving them in tears. Di Lorenzo, a longtime friend of Payette’s, also resigned on Thursday.

“Everyone has a right to a healthy and safe work environment, at all times and under all circumstances,” said a statement from Payette. “It appears this was not always the case at the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General. Tensions have arisen at Rideau Hall over the past few months and for that, I am sorry.”

Payette said “it is with sureness and humility, but also with pride over what was accomplished during my tenure as Governor General and in my service to the country for the past 28 years, that I have submitted my resignation.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke with Payette in person on Wednesday. A source with close knowledge of the situation said Trudeau had requested Payette’s resignation during the conversation. Payette submitted it the following day.

A short statement from Trudeau on Thursday said Payette “has fulfilled her duties to uphold parliamentary democracy and serve the public.”

“Every employee in the Government of Canada has the right to work in a safe and healthy environment, and we will always take this very seriously,” Trudeau’s statement said. “Today’s announcement provides an opportunity for new leadership at Rideau Hall to address the workplace concerns raised by employees during the review.”

Trudeau said a replacement for Payette will be announced “in due course.” In the meantime, Supreme Court Chief Justice Richard Wagner will fulfill the governor general’s duties.

it is absolutely disgusting to read that leading politicians treat their direct subordinates like this. if this is their attitude towards people they have direct contact with one can imagine what their attitude towards the Canadian people in general is

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 17:12
^Ignorant behaviour knows no borders. Trudeau did right by asking for her resignation on Wednesday after the review was complete. Now he needs to step up and push for those vaccinations !
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 19:08

Nope, not for a second. It was the natural pushback against the Obama presidency. I'm not one of those who was surprised that Trump won. Just ask micky.

But I always like to remind people he lost the actual popular vote...and only got in because of the Electoral College...which in the US is a topic that deserves to be debated as to whether it still is a good idea....or not.
Stern Smile
Like the comedians say, you gotta work the room. And Trump did that to perfection. He won.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 19:11

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I tend to agree with Friede on "I'm proud to be an American," type of pride. It is like: "I'm proud to be 6'3" tall." If you're tall AND you're an accomplished basketball player, you sure can be proud of yourself.
How can you be proud to be tall, its not an accomplishment, it's just genetics. I'd say that a short person (think NBA's Steve Nash, below NBA's average) who is an accomplished basketball player has much more to be proud of. I guess I'm missing the point here.
I'm proud to be an American because it's still greatest country on Earth. Quit the envy and get over it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 19:57

Stern Smile
Like the comedians say, you gotta work the room. And Trump did that to perfection. He won.
By the skin of his b***s...and to be honest I don't think he truly thought he would actually  win nor what to do once he did. And based on his actions over the last 4 years it's clear he had no effing clue what he was doing as pres other than being a total fool.  Disapprove

Edited by dr wu23 - January 21 2021 at 20:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 20:13

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I tend to agree with Friede on "I'm proud to be an American," type of pride. It is like: "I'm proud to be 6'3" tall." If you're tall AND you're an accomplished basketball player, you sure can be proud of yourself.
How can you be proud to be tall, its not an accomplishment, it's just genetics. I'd say that a short person (think NBA's Steve Nash, below NBA's average) who is an accomplished basketball player has much more to be proud of. I guess I'm missing the point here.
I'm proud to be an American because it's still greatest country on Earth. Quit the envy and get over it.

It is perfectly normal to be proud of your country (except if you are an EU fan) but envy? Really? America has always been the land of extremes: the smartest and nicest people by far on earth living right next to the meanest and dumbest troglodytes anywhere. Saw this North, South, East and West . What can you expect from a polarized society with only TWO viable political (sort of...) choices? 

I will only say this: Be proud of your heritage but respect those of others. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 20:18

Stern Smile

By the skin of his b***s...andtge to be honest I don't think he truly thought he would actually  win nor what to do once he did. And based on his actions over the last 4 years it's clear he had no effing clue what he was doing as pres other than being a total fool.  Disapprove

Doc, we live in a split demographic ever since Obama got the seat. Btw, I said that I was not surprised that Trump won. I felt that 2016 would be a coin toss. And it was. That's why I was not suprised that he won. Being competent had nothing to do with it.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 02:05
SteveG: Not to tread on your toes about America being the greatest country on Earth, but by which criteria exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

Edited by npjnpj - January 22 2021 at 02:09
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 04:05
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

SteveG: Not to tread on your toes about America being the greatest country on Earth, but by which criteria exactly?
One has to be intelligent enough to realize that no country, no system of government, no leaders of government and no occupants of a country are perfect. Even with all her faults, I wouldn't want to live in an other country but the US and that's why I'm proud of her and have been proud to say that I was an American in the all the foreign countries that I either worked in or visited in my 70 years on this planet.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 05:52

Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

One has to be intelligent enough to realize that no country, no system of government, no leaders of government and no occupants of a country are perfect. Even with all her faults, I wouldn't want to live in an other country but the US and that's why I'm proud of her and have been proud to say that I was an American in the all the foreign countries that I either worked in or visited in my 70 years on this planet.

I was wondering about the criteria myself. what about the systematic racism? the highly flawed election system? the alleged freedom of press (the USA rank 45th in the 2020 Free Press Index, two ranks lower than Taiwan)? the ever increasing income gap? the almost non-existing educational system? the highest gun-related death rate (per capita) in Western civilization? and have I mentioned the healthcare system? these are all not things to be proud of.

if I were asked if I wanted to live in the USA again or remain living in Germany I would definitely say "Germany". but I would not call Germany the greatest country in the world, or any other country; I wouldn't even know which criteria I should base such a statement on. it is one thing to love living in a certain country, but to claim it is the greatest county in the world is something else.

sorry about this rant, Steve. I usually really appreciate your highly intelligent posts, but I am definitely not with you on this one

Edited by BaldJean - January 22 2021 at 06:58

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 06:34
@SteveG

1-) Envy is something that I'm virtually unfamiliar with as a feeling, since my adolescence.
2-) The USA would only come after 20-30 other countries for me to go to, if I happen to have to leave my country. I'd prefer a European country.
3-) I honestly respect your point of view and feelings; but as I stated earlier, I find "I'm proud to be an X'ian," per se, as nonsense; while, "I'm proud of my country," as understandable. 
4-) The USA (America) was meant to be an example in my statement. I could've said, "I'm proud of being a Turk," too. But, now that, "I'm proud to be an X'ian," would seem confusing, I preferred to mention a country and that happened to be "America", as this is also "The American Politics Thread".

Do I make myself clear?

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 22 2021 at 06:35
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 08:15
Chuck Schumer just said trump incited an erection. LOLLOLLOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 08:20
This is an interesting topic.  I think you have to account for the possibilities  of the US when you discuss just how great or not it is. 

You specifically may not value it so much but I would certainly love it if somebody gave me a G+1 home with a front yard and backyard in the suburbs of a city from the Great Lakes region (pref. Chicago, love pizza and jazz), a nice sedan like, idk, a Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car and enough retirement money to get through any healthcare mishaps, I would take it in a heartbeat.  I guess to enjoy the same kind of sprawl in Europe,  you'd need to move to a small town.  You couldn't be 30 miles away from a metropolis and still enjoy that lifestyle but you can in the US. 

But do I like my chances of getting there by immigrating on H1B?  No.  And add to that the Trump fueled uncertainty which is now behind us but we still don't know for how long.  I knew about this guy who started contemplating selling his home in Ohio and moving back to India during the peak of Trumpism.  Trouble is, he used to live in Mumbai in India and real estate is so costly here it would have been tough for him to make the swap in a way that worked out for him.

Edited by rogerthat - January 22 2021 at 08:21
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 08:23

Chuck Schumer just said trump incited an erection. LOLLOLLOL
I'm sure that he incited a number of erections amongst the White Nationalists in attendance at his rally.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 08:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

This is an interesting topic.  I think you have to account for the possibilities  of the US when you discuss just how great or not it is. 

You specifically may not value it so much but I would certainly love it if somebody gave me a G+1 home with a front yard and backyard in the suburbs of a city from the Great Lakes region (pref. Chicago, love pizza and jazz), a nice sedan like, idk, a Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car and enough retirement money to get through any healthcare mishaps, I would take it in a heartbeat.  I guess to enjoy the same kind of sprawl in Europe,  you'd need to move to a small town.  You couldn't be 30 miles away from a metropolis and still enjoy that lifestyle but you can in the US. 

But do I like my chances of getting there by immigrating on H1B?  No.  And add to that the Trump fueled uncertainty which is now behind us but we still don't know for how long.  I knew about this guy who started contemplating selling his home in Ohio and moving back to India during the peak of Trumpism.  Trouble is, he used to live in Mumbai in India and real estate is so costly here it would have been tough for him to make the swap in a way that worked out for him.
It is a slogan and a motto and a brainwashing technique to make us Americans believe that we are the greatest country in the world, in spite of all of the problems.  It is also a reason that Trump's Make America Great Again slogan was so powerful.  America might really have been great at one time (unless you were a woman or a minority) but is definitely less so today.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 382383384385386 434>