Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 11:26
You know the world has turned when Lindsay Graham is regarded as the new Republican heavy.

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2018 at 11:27
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 11:41
Including Clarence Thomas, this is the second conservative nominee to be publicly accused of sexual harassment.   In both cases the women in question submitted information that they not only thought was important but that they were obligated to submit, if not legally then ethically.  

One wonders if there is a correlation between a conservative political nature and a perversely misled attitude toward women coming from both conservative men and women, and whether this is impacting the views and actions of the Right on a subconscious level.   The attitude seems to be "I doubt he did it but that was a long time ago, it was a different time, and who hasn't had too much to drink when they were young ?!"   But as micky points out, that ain't good enough when were talking about a lifelong SC nominee.   One more Right-wing nominee who has multiple women submitting reports against them, and things will go from he said/she said to a clear impression that these appointees seem to have a problem that is deeply ingrained.  

The Republicans might as well nominate Bill Cosby.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 12:04
I find it interesting that Neil Gorsuch is also an alumni of Georgetown Prep.  He is 51, so I assume that him and Kavanaugh may have known each other at that school.  (with two year age difference they may not have known each other).  I'm curious if Mr. Gorsuch is now thanking his lucky stars that nobody from his high school past has come out to out him for some of his high school behavior.  I suspect that the 100 keg club may have still existed during his time there and that the culture that existed when Kavanaugh was there would have still existed when Gorsuch was there.  Obviously I have no proof of any this and am only speculating but....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 12:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

But there's always a chance that justice will prevail. This day isn't over yet.
On the advice of the Dems, so I'm told, Republican Sen. Flake just made McConnell an offer he couldn't refuse. No FBI investigation, no yes vote on Kavanaugh when the vote finally goes to the Senate. Glory be.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 13:35
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I find it interesting that Neil Gorsuch is also an alumni of Georgetown Prep.  He is 51, so I assume that him and Kavanaugh may have known each other at that school.  (with two year age difference they may not have known each other).  I'm curious if Mr. Gorsuch is now thanking his lucky stars that nobody from his high school past has come out to out him for some of his high school behavior.  I suspect that the 100 keg club may have still existed during his time there and that the culture that existed when Kavanaugh was there would have still existed when Gorsuch was there.  Obviously I have no proof of any this and am only speculating but....
Except Gorsuch seems decent:  a classic Distinguished Gray that would never compromise himself in such a way.   The Mr. Rogers of the Supreme Court.  

But Kavanaugh is a deeply disturbed person.   I could see that on the first day of his nomination hearing when the father of the murdered daughter confronted him in the Senate chamber.   The look on his face was worth a thousand words ~

Image result for images of father of daughter who confronted kavanaugh

Edited by Atavachron - September 28 2018 at 13:37
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 18:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Perhaps because Gorsuch didn't lie to the senate during his nomination to the court of appeals, or didn't infer a girl was a slut in his yearbook. Who does that in a yearbook? Kavanaugh sounded like a petulant little rich kid on the stand -- the kind who would think nothing of what he was accused of because he believed his actions were justified in getting what he wanted, when he wanted it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 21:10
Found it a touch inspiring, maybe more, that a good ol' fashioned protest by victims of sexual harassment confronting and beseeching Jeff Flake actually got him to change his mind and at least make a half assed attempt at doing the right thing by permitting an FBI investigation albeit with an impossible deadline.  Sure, it was likely political calculation, the fear that women might vote en masse against Republicans if they are seen to not act fairly in this case, than pure scruples that got to him.  But still, it makes me believe that there is hope for democracy yet.  This whole sequence could have been straight out of a feel good Hollywood movie.  Except it wasn't.  And of course, we have to see what happens and Kavanaugh could yet ascend to the position he feels so entitled to.  But the very fact that even such a hyperpartisan set of politicians had to give pause suggests to me that there is hope yet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 04:57
^ As the saying goes, truth is always stranger than fiction. That's why I always keep the popcorn going!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 05:48
wow...  well that was the complete sh*t show we expected it to be.

a perfect example of just how broken we have become and how tribal politics is the bane of the country.

Thursday showed significant doubt as to his... *takes deep breath*. Integrity, honesty, morals, character, temperament and most scarily (though I warned of it in an earlier post) judicial apolticalness. He is a political creature, not a legal one.

and yet you'd be a fool to bet against him being elevated. For it none of that ^ matter to all but a small handful of Repubican Senatrors.

I for one am extremely curious to see just what the FBI can do in a mere week...  I don't hold high hopes this was nothing more than political cover, and an excuse to being sleep at night, by the few Republican senators with enough empathy and sense  of just how broken this system became (note completely on their hands) and are using this as cover.

So yeah..  I think he gets elevated.  What is the FBI going to tell them that they don't already suspect.. and worse. .could have bothered to find out on their own if they had interest in finding out.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 05:52
Yes, that was a  real mind f**k! And I, like others, don't think the FBI can do anything quickly, but they do have a leg up with 6 or 7 investigations on Kavanaugh already so that might speed up the process. Process. How many times have we heard that word in the media now? LOL!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:05
I did hold out some hope for Flake Steve...
the conscious of a conservative.. or what whatever bullsh*t he wrote

yeah right. Just proof enough they have none

but in the end.. he is still a slave to the us and them and will fall in line with party loyalty. Party over country mentality that has progressed from being a mere cancer to that party.. 

to one thanks to Trump voter.. 

has infected this whole f**kING country. 

It was bad enough we got an utterly reprehensibleness and divisive President who will thankfully be gone after a term or two.. 

but one on the SCOTUS who has a life time term. Trump voter.. the gift that keeps on giving.  At least I can take some satisfaction from having met a few that actually think... and that are honest to admit they made a big mistake in voting for him.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:11
^ I've had the opposite experience with Trump voters praising and defending him. But I'm glad that the two women that confronted Flake will forever be the touchstone of this event and not Lindsay Graham's beer balls. I can't fathom how this twerp went from being John McCain's friend and ally to Trump's main supporter. It is sickening. Even by Republican standards.

Edited by SteveG - September 29 2018 at 06:12
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:26
I said a couple... that still leaves millions man that remain cloaked in their stupidity and ignorance of what their vote did to this country.  It and this sh*t show was just a continuation of it.. simply tore this country apart.  

One doesn't have to agree with the politics and ideology.. did Bush Light tear this country apart.. of course not for outside of ideology you suspected he was a good man and believed he was acting (wrongly) in good faith in all of our interests as Americans of all faiths, races, and sexes haha.

one would have to be a fool, and simply blind to reality to think that Trump cares about anyone but himself.

Edited by micky - September 29 2018 at 06:28
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:44
Well, this country was divided way before the sh*t show. This just brought everything to light.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:49
as I said.. this was just a continuation of 2016 where party, loyalty, and acting of of emotion are more important than country, common sense, and the discomfiture and inconvenience of making informed responsible decisions.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 06:59
I will lbe highly interested to see, and suspect we will start seeing it next week in updated polls, how this affects the midterms. Especially in the Senate as the House was alredy written off as being lost by the Republicans even prior to this. I think I might have been wrong in thinking that Democrats and Independents couldn't get more pissed off and motivated to get out to vote than they were.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 07:08
I like how the how the Dems are looking tougher than they really are. Something for supporters to rally around. I hope. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 07:15
anger does that to you I suppose 

and angry are what they are..  

this is not about ideology..  as David noted see Gorsuch which is akin to my Bush Light example.  
It isn't the ideology in question.. it is the person who is.  
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 07:34
I've been following the hair-raising reports for a while now concerning the electronic US voting systems and how just about every component is wide open to hacking attacks, some of them with flaws known for over a decade now.

Two questions spring to mind:
1) How is it possible to have any trust at all in election results that can be so easily manipulated?
2) Could this explain the wild discrepancies between pre-elections polls and the official results?

Edited by npjnpj - September 29 2018 at 07:41
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 07:43
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

1) How is it possible to have any trust at all in election results that can be so easily manipulated?
2) Could this explain the wild discrepancies between pre-elections polls and the official results?

1) opinions are easily manipulated... which is what the Russians did.....actual results far less so.  
2)  and which results exactly are you referring to?  Not the 2016 election are you?  

If you are as I suspect you are. The polls did not have time to reflect the relative last moment bombshell that was Comey letter to Congress that likely was the final nail in her coffin. She lost what 4 or 5 states by the slimmest of margins.. and those to 3rd party votes whose margins covered Trump's winning margins .. ie those that couldn't vote for Trump based on him being an unqualified and unfit moron.... but couldn't vote for Hillary due to the whole email boondoggle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 434>