FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 01:21
So, FBI investigation, huh?

I suppose that just means that the GOP will make him Supreme Court Judge while singing: For he's a jolly good felon.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 05:33
I hold out little hope for it.. but it does seem the FBI is talking to the people the Senate did not care to talk to.

It would stand to reason the FBI is not going to give a particularly exonerating report on him.

Will it make a difference? To Flake or Collins and Murkowski?  That is the 24k dollar question being asked around town.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 06:21
for the political junkie this all has been a face dive into a bag of coke... the politics around and behind this have been and are potentially moving forward completely fascinating. The Republicans really are playing with fire here and if they come through it unburned it will be miracle even meriting a grudging affirmation from me of Mitch's political brilliance. For he is walking a true high wire act here in a hurricane and I don't see how they either 

a) get Kavanaugh in and risk a complete rebellion and alienation by the non Wynette, ie educated, independents and surburban women in this country and  increasing the already strong chance of losing the Senate and of course filling any potential openings for the next 2 years.

b) not get Kavanaugh in and having not dumped him previously not having enough time to ram through plan b through the Senate before perhaps still losing the Senate (as the damage has been done to surburban and independent women already by having proceeded to this point and not dropping him earlier) and then getting this open seat stonewalled and not filled by the incoming Democratic senate. Unless Garland was forced to put forward by Trump.. oh god.. *face dive and deep snort* that would be so sweet .....

Edited by micky - September 30 2018 at 06:23
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 07:29
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I honestly think that we do need a third party that covers the center thinking.  I may be wrong but I think that there are a lot of people who think similarly to me out there who feel that neither party represents my best interests.  Admittedly, I don't know all of the third parties that are out there, but the ones that I am familiar with seem to be on the extreme fringes of society as either way to the left or way to the right. 

Maybe the Republican party is dying on the east and west coasts, but I think that it is strong as ever in the midwest and the South.  In regards to the blacks, I think that many have reached the conclusion that the Democrats really aren't there to help them either. Maybe it is just smoke and mirrors, but it does seem as though with the economy going as well as it is (I can't say if it is in spite of or because of Trump) things are somewhat better off.  In Detroit, Dan Gilbert and Mike Ilitch have bought up pretty much every building in downtown Detroit and have made it into an area where people actually want to go to again.  This has brought many new jobs into an African American community for those that are willing.  It remains to be seen how successful this will be, but there is at least some optimism. Strictly just my narrow world view.

missed this yesterday...

I really do believe you're going to get that Scott and perhaps you and I will stilll be around to see it. America is changing and so will it's politics as it is changing right in front of our eyes. The question is for forward thinkers.. where is this taking us.

The Republicans have already purged the centrists from their party as they have moved hard to the right.  As I posted earlier, the same process has already started in the Democratic Party. Even before Trump the party was moving left, his election has tossed a tanker truck full of gasoline on that process. Hate to see it happen but it is plainly happening already with progressives targeting and demonizing the centrists in the party.  That civil war in the party will likely blow up once the Democrats start taking back the 3 centers of political power.  The upcoming fight over Pelosi will be the big one pitting the insurgent left against the establishment they blame for letting Trump happen.  The Senate less so but it will be after 2020 election where the unifying element of being anti-Trump is removed where we really see the Democratic Civil War blow up.

Anyhow that fight has already started and the centrists will lose and strongly suspect they, along with dispossessed Republicans will form a new party and that will be the one that replaces the still pandering to white nativsits and Christian fundies Republican Party which will become a rump regional party and eventually die off due to the system being rigged to only sustain 2 political parties.  

Edited by micky - September 30 2018 at 07:37
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 11:14
When Kavanaugh can't even tell the truth about how he got into Yale, you have to wonder about the veracity of the rest of his testimony:

“I have no connections there [at Yale University]. I got there by busting my tail."

Fact is, he was a legacy student. Both his father and grandfather went to Yale. According to stats by Yale, 20 to 25% of attendees are legacy students, and those legacies are three-times more likely to get into the school.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

This cracked me up....

At any other time I would have found this to be hilarious, but the truth is that the Dems needed a heavy like this at this hearing. And all future hearings regarding this louse.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 11:45
The latest non stop mantra from Trump, the GOP and Fox News: The Dems are obstructionists that will do and say anything to ruin Kavanaugh's chances at getting confirmed and ruin his reputation in the process. That's rich. And it will cover them with their base if Kavanaugh is found with a pair of Ford's panties hidden in his closet.

Edited by SteveG - October 01 2018 at 03:48
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The latest non stop mantra from Trump, the GOP and Fox News: The Dems are obstructionists that will do and say any thing to ruin Kavanaugh chances at getting confirmed and ruin his reputation in the process. That's rich. And it will cover them with their base if Kavanaugh is found with a pair of Ford's panties hidden in his closet.

When speaking of obstruction, during the Obama era the Republicans can best be depicted as a cut-away of a colon and rectum with a large amount of impacted fecal matter impeding discharge of congressional functions. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 03:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The latest non stop mantra from Trump, the GOP and Fox News: The Dems are obstructionists that will do and say any thing to ruin Kavanaugh chances at getting confirmed and ruin his reputation in the process. That's rich. And it will cover them with their base if Kavanaugh is found with a pair of Ford's panties hidden in his closet.

When speaking of obstruction, during the Obama era the Republicans can best be depicted as a cut-away of a colon and rectum with a large amount of impacted fecal matter impeding discharge of congressional functions. 
I absolutely love the way the Republicans spin their own faults and ingrain them on the Dems. Even if I agreed with any political stance of the GOP, I still could never get over their penchant for being the most hypocritical group of people that ever inhabited this planet. Even the Religious Right does not exceed them. Amazing.

Edited by SteveG - October 01 2018 at 03:54
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 06:58
Something to keep in the backs of your minds depending on how this all plays out is Gamble v. United States. It has possible repercussions on the Mueller investigation and may be the reason why Republicans are pushing so hard for Kavanaugh, even though it is very clear how unqualified he is for this position (and even his current position).

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 07:35
Yale classmate says Kavanaugh has &amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;not told the truth&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; about his drinking

Click on and read more about Kavanaugh's Yale drinking days.

Edited by SteveG - October 01 2018 at 07:42
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 11:34

Yale classmate says Kavanaugh has &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;not told the truth&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; about his drinking

Click on and read more about Kavanaugh's Yale drinking days.

funny... till recently Republicans considered 'not telling the truth' under oath to be considered perjury.

Hypocritical?... see Republican Party in the dictionary haha.

Anyhow I did read some interesting stuff last night...   yes it pays to be wary and cynical but many feel Kavanaugh is barely hanging to a string.  ie. It will be more amazing that he is confirmed than eventually rejected.

there is a burgeoning school of thought emerging in D.C.. now that Thursday has had some time to sink in (thus the thought a delay was perhaps the next worst thing that could have happened to him).

That his elevation is opposed by none other than Chief Justice Roberts himself and those that consider him too political. A political creature that WILL tarnish the court and de-legitimize any future rulings... and not simply a legal creature who rules based on their legalistical frame of reference.

He might just be toxic enough to even some, enough, Republcians to break with party loyalty (which is everything to them) and vote against him.

Will be very interesting to see where this goes. Comey is right..  regardless of what 'limitations' (other than time) are imposed upon the FBI... any kind of background check regarding Dr. Ford (and others) accusations will end up coming to his drinking problems and yes... his perjury under oath.

Edited by micky - October 01 2018 at 11:35
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 11:46
When Kavie started sniffing and blinking at the drinking questions and had the temerity to ask a senator if he'd ever played Quarters, it was cringe-worthy.   It may indeed be his death knell.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:02
guess his Ivy League education forgot to teach him one thing.. it isn't the crime.. it is the coverup/lie that gets you. Even in this context where the powers that be have no interest in hearing the truth or separating truth from lies.

Another point made that I read last night...  this story does not go away even if he is elevated. Then what happens if more comes out. More than 'he said she said'.  One Constitutional crisis with our toddler of a President having his toys taken away by the Miitary is enough without getting into the process of removing (or lack thereof) Supreme Court justices who committed perjury during the confirmation process. 

Amazing how the most powerful can be the most stupid.  Power corrupts and also blinds..

If he had simply owned up and pleaded mistakes of youth.. he'd already have a seat on the SCOTUS. But he is so political and entitled in his mind.. he felt he could lie away and get away with it and blame Democrats and WTF THE CLINTONS for his own self made mistakes. And who knows, he still might. We shall see...

Edited by micky - October 01 2018 at 12:04
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:39
What if, by some chance, Kavanaugh really didn't do what Ford says that he did and she is making up/misremembering the story?  That is the danger of a he said/she said argument that cannot be corroborated.  The Democrats have said that they will stop him from being appointed at any cost.  They are all politicians, which sadly, by definition/association makes them sleaze buckets, no matter which side of the aisle they are sitting on.  i.e. how can you tell a politician is lying?  Their lips are moving.    

Personally, I think that she is credible and that he is lying, but that being said, I know that I would be very upset if I was him and I didn't do what I am being accused of doing. 

I do agree though, that if he did do this, then he should have owned up and apologized for making a mistake of youth.  From what has transpired it appears as though he has been an upstanding citizen as an adult, attorney, and judge...although that may just mean that those skeletons still remain in the closet.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:47
it isn't going to be the 'he said she said' that gets him.. it will lying under oath.  why he did..  it would have supported  and gvien even more credibility to her version of what happened. He had passed the point of coming clean, and when she proved to be credible in the morning session.. he had no choice.. other than dropping out than to lie about his drinking problem.

He was f**ked..  question is... in the reality of Republican politics (ie closing eyes and whistling past the graveyard) will that be enough to get a few..  a mere few goddamnit...  not many as it should in any rational situation.. . to see he fails integrity and moral check needed for such a lifetime appointment..

that has nothing to do with Ford's accusation my friend.. it is all about how HE reacted to it and the type of person and Supreme Court Justice he would be

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:55
While I don't disagree with you that he is a liar, do you really think that politicians would hold that against someone?  That would disqualify all of them. After all, that is a true pot calling kettle situation.  Truth and honesty really have little place in politics.

Edited by rushfan4 - October 01 2018 at 12:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:57
yes... but he is not running for a political office is he 

do I need say more.. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:58
In an ideal world you are correct...but in the real world the "neutral" Supreme Court has been a political body for years.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 13:05
ahhh...  bingo Scott.  It is mirage..  everyone knows it and accepts it. The fear is,  and why it is suspected the Chief Justice may have a say in this..

is his elevation shatters forever that mirage of impartiality... that is VERY VERY important. Don't underestimate how it is felt by the system that mirage be maintained.. for the American people have no say in this. One it is shattered.. faith.. respect and perhaps eventually even following the mandates of the court can and might be lost.

He is a Pandora's box that even some legal conservative fear to open...  he would forever soil and yes.. de-legitimatize the court.  That ... and his likely perjury under oath are why many do consider him less than a 50-50 shot at being elevated. The last thing he needed was Senators really considering the long reaching impacts of elevating him.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 434>