Topic ClosedWhat are you Listening to Right Now? Febus XIX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 574>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 06:44
all hail  the mighty ABB

'At Fillmore East showcases the band's eclectic mixture of blues, rock, country, and jazz. "Fusion"is a term that came later, but if you wanted to look at a fusion album, it would be Fillmore East. Here was a rock 'n' roll band playing blues in the jazz vernacular. Forgot that pansy overintellectual  english sh*t.. this was the very definition of progressive rock'

breaking out the 6CD set and starting with the best.... the previously unreleased 3-12-71 show.. simply awesome!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 06:55
Solar Corona - Innerspace EP  (Barcelos, Portugal  2013)
Instrumental space, psych, stoner trio 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

all hail  the mighty ABB

'At Fillmore East showcases the band's eclectic mixture of blues, rock, country, and jazz. "Fusion"is a term that came later, but if you wanted to look at a fusion album, it would be Fillmore East. Here was a rock 'n' roll band playing blues in the jazz vernacular. Forgot that pansy overintellectual  english sh*t.. this was the very definition of progressive rock'

breaking out the 6CD set and starting with the best.... the previously unreleased 3-12-71 show.. simply awesome!

you're definitely right, Michael, 'At Fillmore East' belongs to the best live outings ever. Only know the standard album though, not the 6CD collection. Might be worth considering ...

Edited by Rivertree - February 18 2017 at 07:20

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:24
Solar Corona - Outerspace EP  (Barcelos, Portugal  2014)
Instrumental space, psych, stoner trio 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

all hail  the mighty ABB

you're definitely right, Michael, 'At Fillmore East' belongs to the best live outings ever. Only know the standard album though, not the 6CD collection. Might be worth considering ...

Tom Dowd's quote not mine, but yeah, I'd say he knew more about music than anyone here hahah.  Shame Martin and I didn't get to finish our mutual campaign of forum corruption and add the band to the site. Of course they belong, the Jazzers knew it.  ABB albums figure prominently on many jazz review sites, jazz fans know they were a jazz fusion band hidden in the velvet glove of a blues jam band for the musically deaf dumb and blind hahah. Anyhow.. yeah Uwe.. you really should get it.  Sure the setliest are the same, but little else is.  It was those differences that made them such a great band, grand maestro Duane took them through different variations of the songs night to night. Think you've heard Statesboro Blues.. pffff... listen to many different ways you can hear it.

It is right there with Live at Leeds as the greatest live rock recordings ever. Both great in the original form, taken to out of this world limits by the later expansions upon the original albums.

Edited by micky - February 18 2017 at 07:57
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:21
Inside Out
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:25
The Whirlings - Beyond The Eyelids  (L'Aquila, Italy  2013)
Instrumental, psych, space, stoner 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:33
all hail Portland's finest... as Raff took control of the CD player hahah

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 08:49
Paint The World
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 09:53

all hail  the mighty ABB

Tom Dowd's quote not mine, but yeah, I'd say he knew more about music than anyone here hahah.  Shame Martin and I didn't get to finish our mutual campaign of forum corruption and add the band to the site. Of course they belong, the Jazzers knew it.  ABB albums figure prominently on many jazz review sites, jazz fans know they were a jazz fusion band hidden in the velvet glove of a blues jam band for the musically deaf dumb and blind hahah. Anyhow.. yeah Uwe.. you really should get it.  Sure the setliest are the same, but little else is.  It was those differences that made them such a great band, grand maestro Duane took them through different variations of the songs night to night. Think you've heard Statesboro Blues.. pffff... listen to many different ways you can hear it.

It is right there with Live at Leeds as the greatest live rock recordings ever. Both great in the original form, taken to out of this world limits by the later expansions upon the original albums.

Right on! 

That 6 CD set of the complete recordings is one of the best gifts I've ever received. It's so mind blowing that they were able to keep up such consistency even though they were experimenting within their set lists every night. My favourite show of the lot has got to be the 3-13-71 2nd show, with the definitive Whipping Post leading right into the ultimate Mountain Jam, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 11:19
Finished:

Now:

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:02
Dean Blunt & Inga Copeland - Black Is Beautiful
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:02
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

all hail  the mighty ABB

Right on! 

That 6 CD set of the complete recordings is one of the best gifts I've ever received. It's so mind blowing that they were able to keep up such consistency even though they were experimenting within their set lists every night. My favourite show of the lot has got to be the 3-13-71 2nd show, with the definitive Whipping Post leading right into the ultimate Mountain Jam, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

yeah I do hold a certain regard for the 3-12 show, for the very reasons it remained unreleased for 40 odd years. The ABB and a saxophonist? Awesome.. poor Juicy though.

I did preorder it as soon as I had heard about it and it is worth every cent.  Hearing and recognizing those subtle changes in each of the songs between the different shows is a nice exercise to keeping the musical side of hte brain still working. Much as it was back in the day when we all would listen intently for stylistic and sonic (the differences in tone between a 58 and a 59 Les Paul) to tell who was playing what. Dicky or Duane. All 6 disk rule though.. well worth the cost for any music lovers that don't have it.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:08
Image result for sensations fix portable madness
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 12:43
Black Thai - Seasons Of Might  EP   (Boston, MA  2013)
Heavy sludge, doom, stoner with dual guitars 
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 13:25
Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - Pataphysical Freak Out MU!!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 13:28
The Re-Stoned - Reptiles Return  (Moscow, Russia  2016)
Instrumental, psychedelic, stoner, fuzz 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 13:45
FZ - Wazoo
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 13:58
Xhol - Electrip
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 14:26
Rendezvous In New York
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 574>