Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2017 at 20:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
Did he actually have anything to do with writing it though?
Apart from writing most the keyboard parts you mean? His main role, and unmissable strength, within Yes was in stitching together all the disjointed melodies written by Howe & Anderson (and Squire & White) to form coherent pieces of music and in writing the passages of modulations and segues that made that happen. While Anderson and Howe take most of credit for creating the various melodies, it was Wakeman's knowledge of composition and arrangement that made each one work together. How he does that is masterful, though it does tend to leave a very unmistakable Wakeman-signature on every note he plays. While we regard each of the four "movements" as single pieces of music, they aren't - each one is a collage of separate melodies - IMO no one in Yes (Wakeman aside) was really capable of writing a sustained and continuous 20 minute piece of music, and it's no accident that later 20+ minute epics, either on Yes or solo albums, are as rare as rocking horse poop - all Yes epics are musical collages of disparate bits. [just listen to The Ancient if you're unsure of that - for example what those few bars of ukulele are is doing there is anyone's guess - while that is probably the least "Wakeman" track what little fluidity it has is attributable to Wakeman]. TFTO without Wakeman's input would be dreadful, as would Relayer without Moraz.
Think Wakeman would have been much happier with TOTO if the music had been written to fit a single CD, rather than he having to stretch the pieces that Anderson and Howe had written for the album, to have each of four movements fit one side of an LP. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 08:14
Well, the obvious one is Page and Plant's disdain for "that damn wedding song" - Stairway to Heaven.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 10:53
Quote Think Wakeman would have been much happier with TOTO if the music had been written to fit a single CD, rather than he having to stretch the pieces that Anderson and Howe had written for the album, to have each of four movements fit one side of an LP. 

Took my long enough to realize you were victimized by autocorrect that I had time to think of how awesome Africa or Rosanna would have been with if they were 2 album concepts with a slew of Wakeman solos.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 11:41

<span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 1.4;">
Quote Think Wakeman would have been much happier with TOTO if the music had been written to fit a single CD, rather than he having to stretch the pieces that Anderson and Howe had written for the album, to have each of four movements fit one side of an LP. </span>

Took my long enough to realize you were victimized by autocorrect that I had time to think of how awesome Africa or Rosanna would have been with if they were 2 album concepts with a slew of Wakeman solos.
Holy Christ! Are we injecting those two MOR whores into the grand scheme of things. Why don't you mention Christopher Cross' Ride Like the Wind and Sailing next.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 12:25
^yes, and I was totally serious.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 12:47
^Oh.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 13:28
Ermm Hmm. Ride Like The Wind in 13/8. I like it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 14:14
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Everyone but Anderson (who loves everything) hated Union. And try to find a kind word from Wakeman regrding TFTO.
Wakeman and TFTO was the first one to come to mind for me.
Wakeman had a few kind words for Tales' on a recent Tales' remaster, thank you very much.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:16
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Did he actually have anything to do with writing it though?

Apart from writing most the keyboard parts you mean? His main role, and unmissable strength, within Yes was in stitching together all the disjointed melodies written by Howe & Anderson (and Squire & White) to form coherent pieces of music and in writing the passages of modulations and segues that made that happen. While Anderson and Howe take most of credit for creating the various melodies, it was Wakeman's knowledge of composition and arrangement that made each one work together. How he does that is masterful, though it does tend to leave a very unmistakable Wakeman-signature on every note he plays. While we regard each of the four "movements" as single pieces of music, they aren't - each one is a collage of separate melodies - IMO no one in Yes (Wakeman aside) was really capable of writing a sustained and continuous 20 minute piece of music, and it's no accident that later 20+ minute epics, either on Yes or solo albums, are as rare as rocking horse poop - all Yes epics are musical collages of disparate bits. [just listen to The Ancient if you're unsure of that - for example what those few bars of ukulele are is doing there is anyone's guess - while that is probably the least "Wakeman" track what little fluidity it has is attributable to Wakeman]. TFTO without Wakeman's input would be dreadful, as would Relayer without Moraz.

Think Wakeman would have been much happier with TOTO if the music had been written to fit a single CD, rather than he having to stretch the pieces that Anderson and Howe had written for the album, to have each of four movements fit one side of an LP. 

Yeah, I believe he has said as much, and I think I would agree with him... though I guess the album wouldn't have the same mythical status it holds today if it had been done that way, I also think more people would actually like it and it would be less divisive of opinions.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:18
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Well, the obvious one is Page and Plant's disdain for "that damn wedding song" - Stairway to Heaven.

I didn't know that. I think it's a beautiful song. So they must hate they had been forced to play it just about every concert since they released it (I guess). At least Pink Floyd didn't have to play Atom Heart Mother all that often.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:21

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Wakeman and TFTO was the first one to come to mind for me.
Wakeman had a few kind words for Tales' on a recent Tales' remaster, thank you very much.

Since I agree with his old opinion I won't be buying any remasters of it. So I will just have to take your word that Wakeman is now soft on Tales.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:59

<span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 1.4;">
Quote Think Wakeman would have been much happier with TOTO if the music had been written to fit a single CD, rather than he having to stretch the pieces that Anderson and Howe had written for the album, to have each of four movements fit one side of an LP. </span>

Holy Christ! Are we injecting those two MOR whores into the grand scheme of things. Why don't you mention Christopher Cross' Ride Like the Wind and Sailing next.
Because it's very difficult to mistype/autocorrect 'TFTO' as 'Christopher Cross' 

I despair sometimes, I really do.

LOL
What?
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 00:06
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I recently read on the DGM website (hence reliable) that Robert Fripp really loathed Lizard. He called it 'unlistenable'

I remember reading that Wilson's new mix softened the Crusty One a bit toward the album. 

I love the album, especially the title track, especially especially Bolero. One of the best melodies I've ever heard.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 03:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

My favourite album from both bands, although I wouldn't pay to see Waters play it either. Fripp played some songs from the album recently, maybe he likes it a bit more now.

Lizard is my fave Crim, and AHM is in my top 3 Floyd

Fripp has grown to like Lizard (or hate it a little less than before) while working with Wilson on the 40th anniv version. He was pleasantly surprised  were his woprds, I think.
Havantville View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 03:11
When Tangerine Dream made their breakthrough with 'Phaedra' in '74, Edgar Froese stated that he wished people never knew about the earlier albums.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 05:52
Originally posted by Havantville Havantville wrote:

When Tangerine Dream made their breakthrough with 'Phaedra' in '74, Edgar Froese stated that he wished people never knew about the earlier albums.

Oh dear, that would be a massive loss Cry although I can understand he might not consider them representative of the way he wanted to project the group, as happened with Kraftwerk.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 06:34
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by Havantville Havantville wrote:

Oh dear, that would be a massive loss Cry although I can understand he might not consider them representative of the way he wanted to project the group, as happened with Kraftwerk.
Well, to be a tad cynical about it: TD didn't own the rights to those albums (and AFAIK still don't) so probably wasn't getting paid royalties from them.
What?
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 06:35
What about the opposite - where an artist heaps praises on one album but their fans consider it one of their worst? I remember whenever Weird Al released a new album and someone asked him what his favourite is, he would say something like "Well, coincidentally, my favourite album is always the one I'm currently promoting. So, by far, my new album is the best thing I've ever done."LOL
Magma America Great Make Again
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:07
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

What about the opposite - where an artist heaps praises on one album but their fans consider it one of their worst?

Doesn't that happen all the time?? Evil Smile

every time XYZ published a new album, which he calls his fave and it's the worst piece of crap.... since his previous one...
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

every time XYZ published a new album, which he calls his fave and it's the worst piece of crap.... since his previous one...

But I thought that Chris Squire, Alan White and Jimmy Page never released the planned XYZ album...
Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>