Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 22:20
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

What if somebody adds extra material to a concept album?

"When The Tigers Broke Free" was added to Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" and it does not denature the concept of the album.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the studio version of "What Shall We Do Now?" to be added after "Empty Spaces" in a remastered version of "The Wall"... Even the overpriced immersion box-set doesn't include it!! What were they thinking?

I do like "When the Tigers Broke Free"... I actually have it from the Echoes compilation album. Though I have the previous version of "The Final Cut" without that song... I would have bought the album again, but I believe they should also have completed "The Heroes Return" (there was a part 2 released on a single, I believe), since I really like the song, but it's really too short to be enjoyed properly... however, with parts 1 and 2 together, it really sounds like a complete songs, and it's one of my favourites from the album. And yes, "What Shall we do Now" is great too, and The Wall would be better with it included too.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2017 at 22:24
Somoe enhanced CD's with the extra material that the albums did not have are worth it.

Here are just a few ... that I enjoy immensely:

Grobbschnitt - Solar Music Live -- Various versions of the thing, and all of them are great, and the recording and stuff is amazing. Kudos to Eroc!

Grobbschnitt - Rockpommel -- Same as above!

Caravan and the new Sinfonia - This live concert done right and almost complete is much better than the album that cut it up and was incomplete. It still shows that the album was magnificent all around ... regardless, but having the whole thing and it being done right, makes this more enjoyable.

PFM Cook -- The American album was just a few bits from a couple of shows. The reality is that both of those shows were magnificent, and the CD (triple, too!) has almost both nights, and there are some very neat things in there!

Impossible different versions and materials. The one person that is perhaps the guiltiest of this is Klaus Schulze, but in the end, the pieces all differ so much that it is not the same thing at all, and it feels totally different. I remember my reaction to "Bodylove" and "Bodylove 2", and while it was (maybe!) the same thing, in the end it wasn't, and they felt completely different. Likewise, his doing live versions of various things, never got close to the albums at all ... and this, like Tangerine Dream, made it a fun thing to listen to and enjoy ... new material all the time, and right there in front of you it was being created! Insanely and amazingly stupid is KS's group not relleasing the Private Tapes that have some awesome material and should get a wider release, which will likely get him more recognition. But this stuff simply being buried in the virus infested world of one website and then the tube, is pathetic and a bad way to show the beautiful work that KS put together. Shamefully, his "agent" and resident turkey, said ... too bad ... in an email. That's respect for you!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 04:01
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

There are many bonus tracks I wish I hadn't heard.  Wakeman made the point that with vinyl you had 20 minutes a side to get it right - the technology provided the built in quality control.
So, what do you think of Tales From Topographic Oceans?
Follow your bliss
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 04:25
^ Ah!  Double albums thus provided more 'space' - I actually like Tales a lot but sides 3 and 4 are over-extended.  It would have been better as a single-and-a-half album maybe?  I can only think of one band that took that option, Hawkwind's This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic, whereby they produced a single album of one concert and then an EP of another.  I don't think anyone thought outside the box in the early 70s, it had to be a single, or a double, or even a triple...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 07:23

^ Ah!  Double albums thus provided more 'space' - I actually like Tales a lot but sides 3 and 4 are over-extended.  It would have been better as a single-and-a-half album maybe?  I can only think of one band that took that option, Hawkwind's This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic, whereby they produced a single album of one concert and then an EP of another.  I don't think anyone thought outside the box in the early 70s, it had to be a single, or a double, or even a triple...

The only other album + EP release that I know of is Be Bop Deluxe's Live in the Air Age from 1977.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 07:29
Yes, I have that.  Without checking I think that was an album plus single.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 07:58
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

I sometimes seriously consider paying more to not get bonus material.
I am with you on that.

in some ways, I understand it, but wouldn't this become a scamming...

You buy the album without bonus more expensive than the version with bonus...

Don't give them ideas AngryWink
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 08:12

Tales is one of my favorite Yes albums.
Rick Wakeman once stated that Tales would have been a much better album if there were cd's back then.

I like my cds with lots of bonus material (boxed sets etc, for the albums I don't care for that much I wouldn't buy a boxed set any way).
It's nice to have it all, doesn't mean I have to listen to it all, I can rip to my computer and listen just to the album and a selection of my favorite outtakes, b-sides etc.
There can be some interesting stuff in there.
Follow your bliss
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 09:30
We all want a "bonus" at the end of the year in our pay checks.....I'm good with a bonus on my albums.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 10:24
haven't seen one of those for years.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 11:38

Yes, I have that.  Without checking I think that was an album plus single.

EP had "Shine" on side one, and "Sister Seagull" and "Maid in Heaven" on side two. For my money the version of "Shine" included on the EP was worth the price of admission for the whole package Smile
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 12:28
Sometime I feel that feeling mild enjoyment on hearing a CD is a bonus.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 14:52
I sometimes find that waking up in the morning is a bonus. What was this thread's topic again?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2017 at 15:18
Most bonus material is bogus material.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 03:01
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Most bonus material is bogus material.

I stopped saying that years ago. Tongue

Just tired of repeating myself
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 04:47
The bonus making of documentaries on Transatlantic albums are IMO better than the music.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 00:49
Bonus tracks are a pretty mixed bag in general. I have nothing against them however sometimes I wish they were just on a second disc rather than play once the album proper has finished. Case in point is Love's Forever Changes. You Set The Scene is one of the all time greatest closing songs on any album ever and it totally ruins the mood when studio outtakes start as the album finishes!

I particularly like all thebonus stuff on the 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of In The Land Of Grey and Pink by Caravan.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 03:07
Oh the Caravan bonus material is superb. Never regret getting those.

One thing that does / did bug me was in this case ELP's Pictures. New on CD with bonus material. A week later reissued with more bonus material.

It would be nice if all bonus material could be collected in one set e.g. Yes' remasters (pre-SW remixes anyway).

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 03:35
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Oh the Caravan bonus material is superb. Never regret getting those.

yes the average quality of Caravan bonus tracks is way up there with Jethro Tull...

However I would still like them to be on a separate discn except for A Day In The Life of Haylett., which I think should've been on an album proper.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 04:16
Bonus materiel is one of the reasons why I quit CD for Vinyl. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12