Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Red Better Than In The Court?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Red Better Than In The Court?
    Posted: April 26 2017 at 14:15
I know that In The Court Of The Crimson King bassically started progressive rock but I don't think it is their best album. Its a great album but personally I think Red is their best. Is that an unpopular opinion?
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 14:43
I prefer Red as well but I would tend to say that Court is the better album mostly because it is much more diverse musically. Also, I believe Red did not bring anything new to the table, it was a bit of a rehash of Larks and S&BB imo whereas Court was groundbreaking.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 15:25
Originally posted by Pinkyesgenesistull Pinkyesgenesistull wrote:

I know that In The Court Of The Crimson King bassically started progressive rock but I don't think it is their best album. Its a great album but personally I think Red is their best. Is that an unpopular opinion?

I thought "great" was better than "best"??
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 15:28
Red is easily the worst of KC's first eight albums. No contest here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 16:37
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I thought "great" was better than "best"??

Seriously? Greatest is better than just great. Great is significantly above the average, having excellence, best is the greatest, being most excellent.

Anyway, I don't like making such value judgments, but my favourites by King Crimson are Lizard, Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Islands. Larks' used to be my favourite, but I prefer Lizard these days.

Edited by Logan - April 26 2017 at 16:38
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 18:10
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I prefer Red as well but I would tend to say that Court is the better album mostly because it is much more diverse musically. Also, I believe Red did not bring anything new to the table, it was a bit of a rehash of Larks and S&BB imo whereas Court was groundbreaking.

Agreed.   Thumbs Up   End of thread. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 18:26
Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black are better than Red and In the Court of the Crimson King.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 18:52
To me, there are two strong two-album combos in KC's discography:
ITCOTCK and ITWOP ; LTIA and SABB.
Those are their best four records. You pick the order.

The fifth place would be either Lizard or Red ....maybe Discipline.
But the top four are untouchable.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 19:38
Non
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 21:04
My favourite Cimson album is In the Court. After that one, yeah, Red, I guess. Larks Tongues and The Power to Believe are also great.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 21:05
But, even though I believe preference would be slightly in favor of Court, there are many people who will prefer Red itself (or Larks Tongues).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 21:43
I think they're both very strong albums, though they'd rank 5th and 6th as far as my King Crimson favourites (with Court ever so slightly higher). They're certainly very different stylistically, but I think that they both excel at what they are; one is the perfect start to a lucrative career, the other a fitting swan song to cap it off (temporarily, anyway).
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 03:35
Both are very different but both are very good. I think I slightly prefer Red. Lark's Tongues however is my favourite Crimson album
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 03:59
YES
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 04:01

I think it's far from their best, In the Wake of Poseidon is ten times better. In the Court is one of their worst IMO. Red beats the living hell out of Court and even that's not their best either LOL
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 04:19
Confused Huh? No.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 04:31
Groundbreaking is not everything. The only thing I like to listen to from Court is the first track, one of their best- but the rest...
Red takes it all. Still brings defenitely something new to the table. Although not as renewing as SABB and Larks', the track Starless is undoubtedly something new, no track like it. Also arguably their best, that minimalistic 13-beat part is one of the hardest to listen to for the first time for me, but also the one that hits me the most emotionally. That this part is able to be both is outstanding. And that ending... Nothing beats that.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 06:52
Red's the best. It set the template for Crimson forever (mixed with a spot of Discipline). Neither are perfect but damn near it. KC had finally said all they had to say on that diminished scale thing (for a while) and quit on a Starless high.

Court was not the first prog rock LP (here we go) merely the first classic. The Nice, Moody Blues, Floyd, Procol Harum are not going to be written out of history like this is the Prog rock Hall of Fame.

It's not that one LP is better than another it's that KC were limited by format and listeners absolutely governed by the constrictions of the 30 - 40 minute LP. We don't think outside that circular box do we?

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 06:55
Red's the best. It set the template for Crimson forever (mixed with a spot of Discipline). Neither are perfect but damn near it. KC had finally said all they had to say on that diminished scale thing (for a while) and quit on a Starless high.

Court was not the first prog rock LP (here we go) merely the first classic. The Nice, Moody Blues, Floyd, Procol Harum are not going to be written out of history like this is the Prog rock Hall of Fame.

It's not that one LP is better than another it's that KC were limited by format and listeners absolutely governed by the constrictions of the 30 - 40 minute LP. We don't think outside that circular box do we?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 07:01
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Groundbreaking is not everything. The only thing I like to listen to from Court is the first track, one of their best- but the rest...
Red takes it all. Still brings defenitely something new to the table. Although not as renewing as SABB and Larks', the track Starless is undoubtedly something new, no track like it. Also arguably their best, that minimalistic 13-beat part is one of the hardest to listen to for the first time for me, but also the one that hits me the most emotionally. That this part is able to be both is outstanding. And that ending... Nothing beats that.
Yes, there's nothing more important than ground breaking innovation. Wacko
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>