FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's happening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 12:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Bottom line is this new album will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of music and really any connection to Pink Floyd.
After listening to the Floyd, I doubt anybody will then listen to Waters solo efforts.

I'll try one more time, and after that, I'll give up. Only Aussie-Byrd-Brother seems to have gotten my drift. My implied thesis is that rock and roll is just about over. One piece of evidence I cited was the lack of interest in Waters' new album; another evidence I cited was about the NME becoming a free magazine, and how its recent best albums of 2017 list contained mostly non-rock music (hip-hop, electronic, grime, pop, etc.). Hardly any rock bands today can fill a stadium; and of those that can, they're 50+ years old. Will a rock band ever again crack Billboard Top 40, as the Beatles and Stones and Supertramp, Nirvana and Oasis once did? Does rock have any more revivals left in it?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 12:34
When Neil Young sang, "Rock and roll will never die," didn't we all take that to mean that it will always be relevant, reign culturally supreme, and bursting with youthful energy?

Just to preempt criticism: Of course rock's going to be around for a long while. Just like classical music and jazz are still around. But while classical and jazz at one time ruled the musical world but are now niche markets catering to specialized tastes, is that what rock is becoming? Was Britpop rock's last gasp? Was Liam Gallagher the last rock star? 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 13:12
There are a lot of "rock stars" out there but the spotlight seems a little fickle these days. I'm not too worried about rock as it has branched out into far too many new constellations to have come obsolete - many of those damn succesful to boot. It's not the rock of your daddyo (well some of it is; Tame Impala springs to mind) but rather influenced by the many different styles of music that happened in the wake of rock's absolute heyday ie the 70s. Nowadays rock is infused with dream pop, contemporary electronics, post punk and so forth.

That being said; the whole industry and audience has changed quite a bit since the 70s. Back then folks thought they could change the world just because this new and exciting music seemed to mirror an utopian reality where the stuff from Star Trek and 2001 was attainable. I am sure many young music fans feel the same in this day and age but most of em are probably not interested in the same stuff. Music has splintered into a thousand different scenes and venues - yet the troubles only arrive when people identify with the stickers and effectively turn into fans of a style instead of great music.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 14 2017 at 13:13
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 13:21
According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, hip-hop, electronic, and pop are all forms of Rock and Roll.  (not my forms but I digress).

Country Rock seems to be all the rage and what is filling arenas here these days.  *gag*  i.e. rock and roll with a twang and a fiddle.

In recent years, Classic Rock magazine has sort of promoted bands like Black Stone Cherry, Rival Sons, and Alter Bridge as the last great hopes of rock and roll.  I think that all have had limited success, but not the kind of success that bands like Pink Floyd had in the 70's.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 13:23
Tame Impala is a good case in point. He's really just one guy; his music replicates that 70s sound, minus the hooks and pop structure to really breakthrough to the mainstream. Like the 1975, his most recent album was more disco than rock. Arcade Fire's upcoming album also seems to be leaving behind rock for dance music. It seems they all see the writing on the wall.

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 13:24
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 13:51
Tame Impala is a retro act no doubt about it but you seem to be discussing different things. Rock doesn't have to evolve or progress to be rock. Then we're talking prog rock (well not really since that mostly has become formula as well hoho).
I certainly don't understand this issue pertaining to an album like Waters' newest when it basically is a potpourri of everything that came before.
I am not saying music has to be progressive or even original to be great - it helps - I just don't follow your line of thought.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 14:08
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Bottom line is this new album will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of music and really any connection to Pink Floyd.
After listening to the Floyd, I doubt anybody will then listen to Waters solo efforts.

I'll try one more time, and after that, I'll give up. Only Aussie-Byrd-Brother seems to have gotten my drift. My implied thesis is that rock and roll is just about over. One piece of evidence I cited was the lack of interest in Waters' new album; another evidence I cited was about the NME becoming a free magazine, and how its recent best albums of 2017 list contained mostly non-rock music (hip-hop, electronic, grime, pop, etc.). Hardly any rock bands today can fill a stadium; and of those that can, they're 50+ years old. Will a rock band ever again crack Billboard Top 40, as the Beatles and Stones and Supertramp, Nirvana and Oasis once did? Does rock have any more revivals left in it?

My comment was not in the vein that Waters album is not relevant because rock n roll is over. I just don't find much good about the album, i don't think people will connect this album to Pink Floyd catalog.

I also do not think that RnR is over, depending what your definition of RnR is.....Filling a stadium is also a dying activity. That was certainly in the hey day of the 70s' when costs were minimal to put on a show. Today a stadium is only filled when it is a festival/multi-artist show, the days of 30K+ people going to see one artist is gone, now it is filling a smaller venue of 15K+ that rules the day, that's a big show. Normal shows are prolly less than 10K people.

Your points I think are valid and a different topic, I will agree that we will never see a prog rock band crack the Billboard Top 40, someone like Rush (assuming they release new material) are prolly the only ones with enough following to even come close. We all know hip-hop/rap/pop/EDM/teeny bopper music rules the day, and again to me that big reason is the masses have ZERO desire to invest time in listening to music.

Waters album is a protest album in some ways, and dude I am sick and tired of these type of albums.....I could give a rats a$$ what Waters thinks about politics and all that horsekrapp, tell me how that is original material?
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 14:27

Waters album is a protest album in some ways, and dude I am sick and tired of these type of albums.....I could give a rats a$$ what Waters thinks about politics and all that horsekrapp, tell me how that is original material?

Have you read the lyrics to his new songs? Which song, which lyric specifically offends you?

Perhaps this is why rock's dying. The white middle-aged suburban male wants songs of a more conservative bent. In this sense, Waters' lyrics are closer to hip-hop and albums like Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, than contemporary rock today. In fact, Roger Daltrey said this recently, that hip-hop is the most relevant music today, and rock's pretty much arcane and done with.

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 14:37
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 14:41

...teeny bopper music rules the day...

I suspect that has always been the case. At least since WWII. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 17:36

Have you read the lyrics to his new songs? Which song, which lyric specifically offends you?

Perhaps this is why rock's dying. The white middle-aged suburban male wants songs of a more conservative bent. In this sense, Waters' lyrics are closer to hip-hop and albums like Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, than contemporary rock today. In fact, Roger Daltrey said this recently, that hip-hop is the most relevant music today, and rock's pretty much arcane and done with.

Come on there are enough words and phrases, we get what he is singing about. Confused I don't get offended, I never said that.

So you are implying that hip hop will be the replacement for rock?? LOL
Hip hop is relevant because it is full of racist/degrading lyrics, vulgar language and music that is generally EDM based or they rip off a groove from another artist. The basis/topic of today's hip hop/rap is all the same....And I would of course expect most non hip hop artists to give that genre some props. Only a few artists have said what krapp it is, speaking their mind.
If rock is done then I suspect folks like you will not return to this site and talk about rock based music...rather go find a hip hop site, that would make sense to me.

But I wonder how many REALLY think rock is dead, arcane and done with....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 17:37
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

...teeny bopper music rules the day...

I suspect that has always been the case. At least since WWII. 

Correct, The Beatles.......
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 17:46
Maybe Rerun knows the answer!
Whatshappening.jpg

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 18:29
^Yes! 
Rerun *IS* the answer.
Totally describes this album. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 18:34
^^ I just wanna know how many capchas u went thru to post that pic?? LOL
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 18:42

So you are implying that hip hop will be the replacement for rock?? LOL

That's not what I said, but sure, I'll go with that. In 1968, the Billboard number one hit for 1968 was the Beatles' "Hey Jude." Billboard in the 1960s and 1970s was filled with rock and roll. Do you want to know how many songs featuring rappers reach the top charts today? Hint: Rap dominates. 

There was a huge demographic shift in the US in the 1970s and 1980s, called "white flight," as whites fled the northern cities for the suburbs and suncoast states. Studies confirm: Place determines political orientation and ideology. People in the cities tend to be liberal, while rural and suburban areas tend to be conservative. So much of the great rock of the 60s and 70s came out of the cities: Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Bowie, Doors, Dylan. And the lyrics reflected this: They were contemporary and relevant, politically engaged, fiercely liberal, inclusive, pro-civil rights, anti-war. All the things that rap is today - and which you seem to both fault Roger Waters for, and hate rap for.

So yes, hip-hop filled the void rock left behind, at least in the US. I know in the UK it's a bit different, many excellent bands from as late as the 1990s came from cities like Manchester and London.

Hip hop is relevant because it is full of racist/degrading lyrics, vulgar language and music that is generally EDM based or they rip off a groove from another artist. The basis/topic of today's hip hop/rap is all the same....And I would of course expect most non hip hop artists to give that genre some props. Only a few artists have said what krapp it is, speaking their mind.
If rock is done then I suspect folks like you will not return to this site and talk about rock based music...rather go find a hip hop site, that would make sense to me.

But I wonder how many REALLY think rock is dead, arcane and done with....

Everything you said above confirms what I've written, and shows why rock is no longer as relevant. It's been co-opted by the Alt-Right and deplorables.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 18:46
This might more accurately reflect the nature of my question:

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 19:47
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Yes! 
Rerun *IS* the answer.
Totally describes this album. 

Exactly my point!

^^ I just wanna know how many capchas u went thru to post that pic?? LOL

Believe it or not only one. The damned thing is so arbitrary and utterly unpredictable.

This might more accurately reflect the nature of my question:

Hey Jude! (followed by Beatles chants)... this stopped being about the nature of your question a long time ago! Aussie Bro answered your question for ya ;)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 19:52
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hey Jude! (followed by Beatles chants)... this stopped being about the nature of your question a long time ago! Aussie Bro answered your question for ya ;)

Fair enough. This discussion got dragged into areas I didn't intend. But why are you faulting me for that? 

Edited by jude111 - June 14 2017 at 19:52
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 19:53

My implied thesis is that rock and roll is just about over.

LOL..... All sorts of popular music scenes had their own 'Golden Age' - I mean Twist, Disco, Funk, Soul etc., - besides Rock'n Roll, and it didn't imply they died...  And to the present day, there's not even the slightest stretch of evidence presented either here or elsewhere that Rock is dead!...
Now, if we take just a glance at the popular music history it gets clearly evident that every now and then there was a music style being born and steering a whole new trend on music. But does this imply DEATH of former styles? Of course not at all!..........
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 20:00
IT'S happening again:

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>