Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - S.Wilson: "Rap now is more innovative than Rock"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedS.Wilson: "Rap now is more innovative than Rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 22:52
I'll take RTJ over modern prog bands any day of the week.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 23:21
It's a fair statement in regards to newness but no genre is dead yet
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 04:14
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I absolutely loathe hip hop. Always have, always will

This is merely a publicity puff interview, and means absolutely nothing. Most so-called MOBO stuff is derivative sh*te.
Agree 100% with every thing Laz stated above.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 04:59
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I'll take RTJ over modern prog bands any day of the week.
seconded
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 05:04
Firstly - What is a "Hip-Hop?" 
Secondly - "Is it Dangerous?"
Thirdly - "If it bites me, will I need anti-venom and/or intravenous anti-biotics?"
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 05:10
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Huh, Hip-hop... it's also 70's.

Well I doubt you even care, but the difference between, say, Africa Bambaataa and Young Thug is enormous. But when you compare, dunno, Univers Zero and Far Corner it's like there wasn't a 30-yrs gap between them. Avant/RIO prog is one of the most stale and predictable forms of "progressive" music, dare I say.

You are confusing progressive (the genre) with progressive (the word). This confusion is rather new.

Believe me, it's not. Even though I'm not present here for every minute of my 12 years-as-a-PA-user, I'd stumbled upon the "prog = genre vs. progressive = ideas/bands" discussions many times before. It's just sad that progressive rock nowadays (which was TRULY progressive genre of pop music once) is so much regressive and retro, despite producing numerous good bands
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 05:13
Yeah - I like my prog to be re-engineered and even more bombastic than that of the seventies....Flower Kings is a great example....
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 05:41
Steven Wilson: "I wanna be a Rap star !!!" (R N' B Magazine July 2017). Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 10:00
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Well I doubt you even care, but the difference between, say, Africa Bambaataa and Young Thug is enormous. But when you compare, dunno, Univers Zero and Far Corner it's like there wasn't a 30-yrs gap between them. Avant/RIO prog is one of the most stale and predictable forms of "progressive" music, dare I say.

You are confusing progressive (the genre) with progressive (the word). This confusion is rather new.

Believe me, it's not. Even though I'm not present here for every minute of my 12 years-as-a-PA-user, I'd stumbled upon the "prog = genre vs. progressive = ideas/bands" discussions many times before. It's just sad that progressive rock nowadays (which was TRULY progressive genre of pop music once) is so much regressive and retro, despite producing numerous good bands

Sorry to jump in here but I agree with almost everything you said Igor. I just think it's a disservice to brand new experimental bands as prog. It's like advertising a movie to men and calling it a romantic drama. It just isn't attractive to most people.
And if we continue to stretch the meaning of prog rock it eventually loses it's meaning (it's already getting there imo). There are many interesting rock bands out there that sound experimental but let's just leave it at the 'experimental' tag. That way they've got a shot at actually making it.
Oh and before I forget: it wouldn't surprise me if something like 90% of PA's members would flee to the mountains upon hearing the new kids on the experimental block. Prog fans are just as picky as the rest of the music loving world.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 15:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ They don't have to innovate to be considered good (I think of AC/DC).   But a genre does have to move forward, or at least move to continue to develop and, in a way, live.   So it's a little surprising when prog fans take issue with that point.   Music styles are like certain shark species: if they're not moving in a forward direction, they stagnate and can die
I don't know of any music genre that didn't continue to develop and died solely because of lack of innovation.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 15:44

A lot of RIO bands have absolutely no relation with each other, sounding completely different, even though they play an avant-garde kind of prog. Some sound evil, some sound experimental, some even sound "happy". So when you say it is stale and predictable.. I don't know what you are talking about. I'd say Symphonic Prog is the most stale and predictable, but even nowadays you can find a lot of interesting bands.

But then again.. being more innovative doesn't mean it is better, it doesn't mean it deserves more respect, or whatever.

I've also stumbled upon this discussion many times before, but I doubt there was this kind of discussion when progressive rock was born. It was used to describe a certain kind of music and it still is today. Yes, prog rock back then was about breaking the rules. But ANY new genre of music was once about breaking the rules, otherwise they wouldn't ve been born to begin with. It does not mean the genre that was born has to constantly reinvent itself and innovate.

Edited by Junges - July 31 2017 at 15:48
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 15:46
It is innovative yeah, but the innovations are something I don't like. I really do prefer the more vintage sounding music (like 70s style prog, indie rock or jazz). The direction rap went turned out to be pretty dull and unexciting to me. It's that "modern sound", that sterile and pristine, even a little mechanized quality that drags me away from modern rap. However, I'm a huge fan of rap (especially melodic rap) that relies on live instrumentation such as guitars, drums, violas... that is good.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 15:58

^ They don't have to innovate to be considered good (I think of AC/DC).   But a genre does have to move forward, or at least move to continue to develop and, in a way, live.   So it's a little surprising when prog fans take issue with that point.   Music styles are like certain shark species: if they're not moving in a forward direction, they stagnate and can die
I don't know of any music genre that didn't continue to develop and died solely because of lack of innovation.

When I say "died", I don't mean abolished, I mean nothing new or important.  And there are certainly styles that have suffered that while still maintaining a moderate following;  jazz, folk, and yes, rock 'n roll to name a few. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:14

When I say "died", I don't mean abolished, I mean nothing new or important.  And there are certainly styles that have suffered that while still maintaining a moderate following;  jazz, folk, and yes, rock 'n roll to name a few.
But "nothing new or important" is subjective, isn't it? There is always interesting music to find in any genre, if you search well and are interested. For some genres it might be harder to find, but that's natural. Some genres are more innovative than others or evolve in a faster pace than others. I think there are still lots of interesting bands in the genres you mentioned.

Edited by Junges - July 31 2017 at 17:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 18:23
^ No, it isn't subjective unless one means for the individual experience.   Objectively I do believe musics, or a music, does, at a point, slow in expansion & augmentation and does in fact come to a developmental end.  "Rock & roll will never die" is not the same as "Rock & roll will never stop evolving and being a vital music that impacts other musics".   And frankly since the 90s, that honor goes to Hip hop (which many don't fully realize because they either don't listen to Hip hop or haven't been impressed by what they have heard).

EPMD

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 18:48
Hi,

Weird that someone thinks that rap is only 25 years old ... heck, go watch "Performance" and you can see some rap in that film ... and that was done in 1968. There were, more than likely, many more folks doing rap then, but their commerciality was not heard, because it did not have a mindless drum beat and lyrics, that for the most part are not as valuable and important, as many things since then. Even Mick's song has an edge that is close to rap!

I recommend studying the music a bit further ... just because you had not heard of it, or had any idea it existed, does not mean EVER that it did not exist.

As for it being more impressive than rock, it really means that some rap sets out to insult and attack, and a lot of rock music has lost that edge. But, we killed that edge ... we spend more time criticizing lyrics by anyone, because they do not wipe our bumsters. And then we wonder why lyrics in rock are so, seemingly, not as important.

Remember that the great writers, painters, musicians, usually shock you silly ... they do not paint your bedroom wall, or kiss up to your fandom routines ... so yeah, lyrics are a problem ... and I would not necessarily agree that rap has them these days, but I would suggest that they certainly are much more aggressive ... wonder if they voted for Trump, too?

Edited by moshkito - July 31 2017 at 18:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:00
^ Who said it's only 25 years old?   On the other hand, to say Rap as a fully formed musical style existed any earlier than about 1975 is folly.   Unless one means Spoken Word or poetry slams.  

It is black American music that evolved very much in the same way rock 'n roll did: out of sheer necessity and lack of formal musical training or expensive equipment.   Necessity is the mother of invention and Rap/Hip hop is no better example.   Of course it helped when people began to really dig it, man.

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:28

If he thinks Radiohead and Arcade Fire are the most innovative rock bands, I can only laugh.

Alright, what are your picks then? Not being petty, couldn't think myself of a post-2010 rock band that blew my socks off in terms of innovation (apart from these guys). The Mars Volta started in 2002, and while they're definitely "new", their sound was a by-the-numbers case of "x + y = z": basically throw some King Crimson into Led Zeppelin, and there you go

I don't need rock to be "innovative," I just need it to be really good, with excellent songwriting. For me, the ones I like currently are Kasabian (Happy Mondays meets Primal Scream meets T.Rex meets Oasis) and Tame Impala (John Lennon/Oasis influences). The pickings for rock admittedly seem pretty slim these days; if it wasn't for those two bands, and the upcoming releases by the Gallagher bros, I don't think I'd be listening to contemporary rock...

As for hiphop, my favorite album of the last several years is easily Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly. It's musically innovative (lots of jazz musicians play on it), and emotionally exhausting, in the best way. An overwhelming album.

Edited by jude111 - July 31 2017 at 19:50
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:04
As someone who just left prog behind and embraced the pop side of music, isn't he embracing the very thing he's criticizing? True hip hop has elements of innovation as i'm a fan myself but when it comes to melodic complexity it doesn't hold a candle to jazz, classical and OF COURSE prog :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

when it comes to melodic complexity it doesn't hold a candle to jazz, classical and OF COURSE prog :)

Perhaps that's true - it's certainly debatable - but what Wilson seems to be stating, as I understand it (as has the Who's Roger Dalterey also recently articulated) is that the most interesting and relevant music being made today is by hip-hop artists. I would absolutely agree with that.

I don't want it to be that way. OMG I'd love there to be a new Dylan and Lennon/McCartney who'd re-ignite rock music and make it relevant again. It's just not happening. The only thing that's coming close is Roger Waters' new album, and half the fans want to set him on fire for daring to speak out against their god Trump; the other half's telling him to shut up with the politics already. FFS. When rock's no longer engaged with politics, that's the death knell.

At the same time, it seems that Wilson had a choice to make: relevant music, or pop music. He chose the latter. Why?!?

Edited by jude111 - July 31 2017 at 21:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>