38 [62.30%]
23 [37.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 18:41
^ that's a little harsh. Rumors are dished out for various reasons including jealousy and petty differences. There is no real proof of those accusations but even if they ARE true doesn't diminish musical talent. There are many lyrics i don't agree with but humans are subject to change and no individual need be stuck in any state of mind. If those rumors were real, are they still true? Who knows

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2017 at 19:31
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone, and particularly all the information.. I just did some research on my own and I will NEVER listen to Magma again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band) The "Controversy" section

I think it’s a bunch of crap… of course I could be wrong but let’s see.

Vander thinks the African people are a bunch of degenerates? Where is the link to this interview so it can be verified?  What about his admiration and affection towards John Coltrane?  He even dedicated an exquisite record to John Coltrane –  JOHN COLTRANE L'HOMME SUPREME

Vander "had swastika flags all over his bedroom and pictures of Hitler and would leap up and do kind of imitation Hitler speeches in the middle of his drum solo"

Any pictures of his room?  Any videos of his supposed speeches during the drum solo?  I guess his marriage to a Jewish lady is a just cover-up.Angry

The swastika has been severely perverted. The swastika symbol is thousands of years old and was used by different cultures all over the world.  In Buddhism it is still a sacred symbol.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 08:41
*face palm*

god bless the internet... 

Children are abused in the basements pizza places in downtown D.C under Clinton's watchful eyes.. and of those of her flying death squad.
Obama was Kenyan and a Muslim...Trump empathetic and qualified.....  Vander a f**king goosestepping Nazi. 

No wonder the world is going to hell...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 09:51

I just did some research on my own and I will NEVER listen to Magma again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band) The "Controversy" section
A Wikipedia article LOL
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 10:26
YESESIS, maybe 5 minutes of Hallelujah will ease your mind…Smile enjoy

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 10:57
pffff... Vander could be a Trump supporter and Ohio Nazi if it made him happy....

for this... all would be forgiven.

and back on topic... that is one of many reasons why Magma nails VDGG straight in the ass.  VDGG never came close to touching the best of Magma.. and of course there have been so many great Magma moments.  ZERO f**king comparison between the two. Magma smokes VDGG as hard as it would KC and the Sunshine Band...  

at least they could dance and had a good ear for melody.. something completely lost on VDGG hahaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:07
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I just did some research on my own and I will NEVER listen to Magma again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band) The "Controversy" section
A Wikipedia article LOL

Not just a wikipedia article, but one whose sources include such rigorous texts as an anonymous blog poster and a Magma fan site! LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:20
see man.. you simply can't trust Wiki... it didn't even mention the affair his wife had with a certain smoking hot DC area stud who was in his own right a internet forum star, occasional prog fan, who LOVES Magma and thinks VDGG is everything that 'prog hater' is right about. LOL

Edited by micky - August 26 2017 at 11:21
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:20
I'm glad to see this crap not taken seriously. Even if Christian Vander did-or does collect swastikaflags or imitates Hitler (or even if he has said something repulsive forty years ago) - it doesn't make me think any lesser of him. Because he is so obviously not a racist anyway. Magma's music is a fusion of european modernism and afro american jazz - a gesamtkunstwerk like Nibelungenringen (which is perhaps an unfortunate example as Wagner was anti-semitic) and a whole universe containing diabolic and angelic voices, forces of good and evil, death, destruction, chaos and re-creation. 

Christian Vander doing his Hitler parody speech backed by his ethnically mixed avant-jazz-rock ensemble. He certainly put it to good use.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 26 2017 at 11:56
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:39
Regarding the controversy:

Christian Vander loved jazz, black musicians, and adored John Coltrane. He has composed at least one homage to his music. His jazz band have covered lots of Coltrane. he could still be racist while liking and paying homage to black music, but he has spoken of how much Coltrane and other black jazz artists were an inspiration to his music and his life.

I can believe that Vander collected Nazi memorabilia and had a fascination with it. The debut album has a swastika on it and the sort of German eagle on it with the talents reaching down on screaming people, but it hardly seems an homage to NAZIism, as it's a scene of terror that implies evil dictatorship. It seems clear to me that he drew on Nazi tropes and the the Teutonic mythology and music (Wagner) that they drew on, and Nazi preoccupations to create the Kobaia mythology. Kobaian, the artificial language of Magma sounds very Teutonic, draws on Wagnerian opera, as well as Karl Orff, and Naziism to tell the story of Kobaia. In "Stoah" off Kobaia it sounds like Vander is parodying Hitler; it's not flattering with vanders screechy stentorian voice. it's positively ugly. Yes, he imitated Hitler speeches, but part of the Kobaian mythology is that there was a time in their civilization of hate, and that is the sort of hateful dictator of the story he told. When you're writing in a made-up language you have to make reference points that people get to tell a story. Making himself sound like Hitler makes it easier for the audience to get. There also is a time of love in Kobaia mythology. So, once again the Nazi stuff is part of telling a story, and method actors who play Nazis might also keep Nazi memorabilia to inspire the character.

Drawing inspiration from something and being fascinated by something is not the same as admiring it (especially when doing it for artistic reasons). I have a very good Iranian friend who is a professor of history and has written many books who is fascinated with Nazi Germany, but I know that doesn't make him a Nazi. Similarly, one could say that just because Vander loves black music does not mean he admires blacks, except he does admire black musicians and I've never heard anyone claim that he admired Hitler.

As for the "degenerates" comment, I'd have to hear the context in the interview to comment on it. There are people that I would describe as degenerates from all around the world. He might have been referring to specific corrupt individuals or groups in Africa and India despite it saying in the Wikipedia article that he was referring to the people of those countries as degenerates, and it may also have been hyperbole in a specific context. He may have misspoken and meant something else, who knows, or it may have been a phase of his when I was angry at things going on in those parts of the world,or the effect that certain peoples from those countries were having on France.

I find people being taken out of context or misunderstanding the point all the time by certain journalists.

To me, though, what matters if if I like the music, and even if he held some controversial views at one time, that doesn't mean that he feels the same at this time. I wonder if some Nazis would accuse Magma of cultural appropriation?

Incidentally, Christian Vander's wife was born of Polish immigrants, and the Germans were not kind to the Polish. Vander's step-dead was a jazz musician and grew up listening to jazz and idolized black musicians such as John Coltrane and Miles Davis, and has said that they inspire him every day of his life. He heaps praise and thanks on them, and considers listening to such music to be a very spiritual experience. SO, no, I don't think of him as a racist even if he has had some fascination with Nazi culture. Such fascination, as I said, does not mean that you are not appalled by it (in fact the fascination many have with it is because aspects of it are so appalling and you wonder how this could have happened). It does make for good story-telling material.

Sorry, but to decide never to listen to Magma again because of that section in Wikipedia (a site that anyone can write in and universities commonly discourage for research) seems like a knee-jerk reaction. Keep an open mind, and open ears, just not so open that your brains, and ear drums, fall out.
By the way, I wrote this long post quickly and have trouble reading these small text boxes that you compose in, so expect many typos/ grammatical errors.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 11:57
^I appreciate that you took the time to do a more comprehensive post than I did, Logan. Sometimes it looks like people want and actually enjoys finding something to be offended about. There's something offensive about the easily offended.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 12:42
Well if my goal by posting that was to really reignite this thread then.. mission accomplished I'd say.

Ok, for those of you slamming Wikipedia.. this is 2017 everyone immediately goes there for all of their researching needs. We want instant gratification and that's how it should be.

Seriously though, I had been using Magma a lot for my daily meditation and if that music was written out of evil then it just doesn't work for me(is what it is). Anyway a definite thanks for all the helpful information that people are posting, especially CosmicVibration and Logan. It really is helpful. Cheers
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 12:47
Thank you, Saperlipopette, appreciate your post too (actually took me long enough to compose that I had not seen your response which makes the same main points I was trying to make more concisely. Of course I know the song, and referenced it, but I hadn't seen that particular clip). I hope it'd clear to people that the way Vander "does" Hitler is parody rather than some loving recreation.

For those that don't know, the bad times in Kobaian mythology is Theusz Hamtaahk, the Time of Hate. I've thought that the Kobaian mythology might be an extension of what might have happened in a parallel universe if Naziism had prevailed. Despite the darkness of Nazi like totalitarianism, eventually the human, or Koabian I might say, spirit prevailed over the darkness and the dictatorship crumbled and so we get to the time of love. It's a fantasy based on humanity that draws on history. It's quite an Orwellian story only with a more positive message, we can triumph over evil, unlike in 1984 where you imagine about stomping on a face for ever. Magma is ultimately uplifting, and spiritual, which I think Yesesis would appreciate.

The story starts off dystopian and turns Utopian.   A bit like a 1984 type totalitarian world, only referencing Naziism in particular rather than the communism that Orwell referenced, becomes more like the Chronicles of Narnia.

Two addendums to my post: there are two swastikas on the cover of the debut album and the eagle talon is a traditional symbol of Germany's coat of arms.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 13:31
When I was in my late teens and early twenties I occassionally parodied Nazi speeches and went way over the top with these parodies. I was really shocked when I learned that some people thought I was serious, that I was a Nazi and hated Jews and wanted them all killed. How could anyone who knew me think this was indeed my belief, that for example sentences like "Exterminate them with root and branch, burn them and blow their ashes in the wind, eradicate them from the face of the earth and from the face of the moon" or "It is the Jews' fault that you have to labor, it is the Jews' fault that you have to suffer, it is the Jews' fault that your seven year old son wets his bed at night" were meant to be serious? They were so obviously a parody! But apparently some people did believe I was serious. It seems I am too good an actress.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 16:41
^ hahah...  I don't suppose you have any VHS tape recordings of those laying around do you Friede.  Must see youtube viewing there....

makes my 'parodying' of a hot woman with a killer ass though a bit flat in the chest but on the prowl for lonely men.. which was recorded  .. though hopefully no longer surviving  ....seem tame in comparison. I was wild. really wild..  but I wouldn't have touched Nazi speach parodies...  

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 17:14
That's a great personal anecdote, Friede. Often when people get offended they think less rationally. Sometimes it's the knee-jerk reaction without thinking things through.

If someone were to cherry-pick from the many posts I've made at this forum, the objectionable/ questionable/ controversial stuff could make me look like a monster. Just my jokes alone could, although more people would be calling to have me shot for my poor sense of humour. When quoting it is common for people to take phrases out of context, and sometimes it is that one is having a bad day and you just don't express yourself well.

I have a replica of George Washington's pistol in my house, but that doesn't mean that I support slavery or even that I support the War of Independence. It's a faux historical artifact of interest to me, and I'd rather have the real one. Now, I don't think that I'd want Nazi memorabilia, but were I given some I wouldn't refuse it and I would take good care of it as a part of history.   Would I drive around in Hitler's car saluting people, perhaps not, though being a joker, I would have to resist the urge.

Just yesterday I was talking to my wife about why eating babies, not the jelly type, might be a good idea. Someone who didn't know me might find that offensive. It was a little thought experiment type thing the likes of which I used to enjoy when in school. But imagine, if I said that in an interview, the furor, as opposed to Führer, that might cause, especially if anyone admired me or I was a celebrity. There was a context to what I was saying that my wife got and, being of sound mind, totally ignored.

---------------------------------------------

As for wikipedia, it can be a useful source of information. I use it quite regularly for my own edification, but I don't rely on it for information. It cites the sources there, and I don't dismiss what it says, but like with information generally, one can draw the wrong or different conclusions from it, so when I read an article there I tend not to be reactive. I read it and cogitate, but I try to avoid rash conclusions. If it's something I care about, I will probably do more research. It doesn't tell the whole story, and sometimes we will never know the whole story (a lot is anecdotal evidence and then those people might not understand the motivations etc. -- unfortunately, people are unreliable sources and misremember things, neglect conflicting evidence, and lose context etc.). I have my interpretation, you have yours, they have theirs. One judges on who provides better evidence and more details, and a better argument, and by what you can infer. In academia they tend to prefer primary sources as much as possible.

I've known about this "controversy" with Christian Vander for years, but have come to a different conclusion than you have Yesesis, and so I would not ever have even considered boycotting his music. Even if I am wrong, I might not, to be honest, as I have albums by some people who have verifiably done despicable things. I can love the music without loving the person, and well, there is an ethical argument not to support despicable people, of course, but I don't believe that Christian Vander is despicable based on my research and thinking. In regards to the Nazi stuff, I think it's very easy to explain away in a good way, and I never like to assume the worst about people. As a hard determinist, I actually probably have more difficulty assigning moral culpability to anyone anyway than most people here.

Edited by Logan - August 26 2017 at 17:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 17:57
This thread has been most informative, thanks everyone… 

Saperlipopette, even though that clip from French TV is a bit freaky, I would’ve never guessed Vander was doing a Hitler parody speech.

Logan, thanks for a deeper insight into one of the most fascinating bands ever.  This was always my impression of what the band is all about:

http://artist-shop.com/seventh/index.htm

"Imagine a world, many centuries into the future, when society as we know it has decayed into chaos and degradation, void of spiritual guidance. The colonization of space is well underway, and space travel has become commonplace. It is in this setting that a handful of enlightened Earth people seeking a better existence finance the construction of a private spacecraft and leave the planet in search of a new world where a new, more spiritually guided civilization can be reborn. They finally find that new home after a long and hazardous journey on the distant planet Kobaia, where the party settles and begins anew.

"Magma is a concept band whose albums explain the origins and development of the new civilization on Kobaia, and their interactions with the people of Earth and other planets. All of their lyrics are sung in the language of the new civilization, 'Kobaian.' As one might expect, the music from Kobaia several hundred years from now is very unlike what we are accustomed to on twentieth century planet earth. Magma's music is very strange, beautiful, and ultimately rewarding, but it does require an open mind on the part of the listener. It is music that must be experienced fully with body, heart and soul: not simply a cerebral performance of some kind of space opera by clever musicians, but a full blown spiritual experience with the music acting as the connecting vehicle between performer and listener.

------------------------------------------

After hearing from the lips of Vander himself it seems that KA, Kohntarkosz and Emehntehtt-Re is a trilogy about one person’s spiritual journey towards enlightenment.

Actually, Vander’s lips were moving but he might as well been speaking Kobaian, it’s all Greek to me. Tongue  I’m sure the subtitles were a fairly accurate translation.

http://www.seventhrecords.com/en/video-dvd-38/emehntehtt-re-trilogy-1260.html

ËMËHNTËHTT-RÊ TRILOGY

Reference VD10

PERFORMED IN FULL FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!

Concerts recorded live at Le Triton in November 2014

Initiated in 1973, its composition beholds its whole fulfillment after more than four decades. It is the testimony of an unwaveringly timeless inspiration, of which the expectant present asserts itself beyond history. Connecting wide and contrasted scenes, it sets its coherence within its very dynamics, playing with chiaroscuro , between choral splendor, operatic jubilation and hurricane of spirits beyond graves.

The different parts formerly scattered around are finally gathered in all their glory, finding their proper place in the grand scale of a now complete work, topped off with the bright blaze of a Grand Finale.

K.A - KÖHNTARKÖSZ - ËMËHNTËHTT-RÉ

The two-disc DVD set features THE CROSSROADS OF TIMES, 115 minutes of conversations with Christian Vander on composing each movement of the trilogy. Through a process of digging, expanding, anchoring and changing directions, his unique approach continues to propel Magma’s music forward.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 18:24
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Saperlipopette, even though that clip from French TV is a bit freaky, I would’ve never guessed Vander was doing a Hitler parody speech.
Just to be clear: its not literally a Hitler speech parody - that's only my association because of this discussion. (but I'm guessing all that practice - if its true came in handy) As far as I can tell its identical to the studio version of Stoah and in Kobaïan.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 18:38
Not literally a speech parody, more of a parroty, and not a Hitler speech in Kobaian I don't think, but he is invoking the spirit of Hitler's vocal theatrics, and it fits in with the Nazi and Germans symbolism on the Kobaia album cover (of course the came up with Stoah before recording Kobaia).

Thanks, CosmicVibration, that is an insightful article by Peter Thelen and helps my general impressions, and limited reading on such stuff, to be more substantive.

I found this, the full article I assume by Thelen, http://www.furious.com/perfect/magma.html , just now which goes into more depth.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2017 at 19:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

there are two swastikas on the cover of the debut album

I didn't realize that, and it won't work for me. Now before everyone jumps on me lol(they probably will anyway this is the internet - nature of the beast), that's just for me... you all do what you want. I'm an American and believe in freedom, you know as long as you're not hurting other and so forth. Just for me, even if I was ok with that symbol(which I'm not).. what if someone came over and that CD was out and they saw the cover? They may not say a word to me but in their head they might be thinking, "wow, guess you never really know people." So, it won't work. And I'm sorry CosmicVibration, I know you love them and you were the one who really turned me on to them.. but I just can't anymore.

Now on the flip side.. there's this Great Man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel The "Activist for humanitarian causes" section

Classic Genesis. There's a band that I will always love and cherish deeply.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>