Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich of these was the last band you saw live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which of these was the last band you saw live?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.60%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [7.79%]
3 [3.90%]
3 [3.90%]
13 [16.88%]
12 [15.58%]
4 [5.19%]
1 [1.30%]
4 [5.19%]
5 [6.49%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.60%]
5 [6.49%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.60%]
3 [3.90%]
12 [15.58%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 16:16
I actually suffer from tinnitus(pronounced tin it is)in my left ear so I can understand about the loudness factor. It's one reason I stopped going to so many shows. Not sure I want to go to another until I get the musicians earplugs which unfortunately are a bit more expensive. 

I actually saw Magma last year I think it was but I didn't have the same kind of experience you did. I guess they were loud but I had earplugs in anyway. I thought they were very good. Then again I enjoy their music. The opening act was a woman who played "heavy metal cello" for lack of a better term. I bought her cd but I don't know where it is and I don't remember her name. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 16:41
I pretty much take ear plugs to all gigs, it's usually only the jazz ones that are quiet enough for me not to use them. I have Kayo Dot coming up and assume that will be pretty loud.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 15 2017 at 16:42
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 16:57
I voted Opeth - saw them last October - EXCEPT they didn't play much of the recent prog stuff, it was much heavier than I expected. So maybe I should have voted Rush or Yes. I'm going to see Goblin in a few months which I am very excited about!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 19:12
No, if Opeth was your last show then you made the right decision by voting for them. I wanted to include some of the bigger newer bands which is why I put them on there. I could have added Anathema too and Riverside but forgot. I would have added Porcupine Tree but they haven't toured in quite a while. The same thing with the Flower Kings I think.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 20:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I pretty much take ear plugs to all gigs, it's usually only the jazz ones that are quiet enough for me not to use them. I have Kayo Dot coming up and assume that will be pretty loud.

I don't normally.. but we are going to see SC3 ( Clapyeah for me.. for the few bands I haven't seen I REALLY have wanted to see)  the week after Progday in a small club and those are the venues that can get a bit... extreme in volume... I might bow to advancing age and pack a set for that show. I'll never forget the Adrian Belew show at the Jammin' Java that left both Raff and I deaf for a week. Great show.. small venue... killer PA system haha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 03:41
Jethro Tull(either version)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 05:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'll never forget the Adrian Belew show at the Jammin' Java that left both Raff and I deaf for a week. Great show.. small venue... killer PA system haha.

You know that does permanent damage, right?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:06
I have permanent damage too but it's in the form of tinnitus. I had a hearing test recently and no significant hearing loss. They told me I'm in the normal hearing range. I couldn't believe that when the told me so my response was "what?" :) Actually, I've heard about people going deaf for a week or a few days or whatever but that wasn't the case with me. I do have to be very careful at concerts though and plan on getting musicians earplugs as soon as I can afford them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 16 2017 at 09:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:47
I also have tinnitus, but with minimal hearing loss. I can't understand what people are saying when they whisper to me, and have difficulty understanding what people are saying with background noise, but I also hear actual noises that most don't seem to notice.   

My tinnitus varies, and for days after the Magma concert it was bad and I had real trouble hearing people. I enjoy Magma, but the PA system was bad, not dynamic so the music lacked texture, like a wall of noise to my ears, and it was insanely loud. Due to my condition, it was probably harder to make out the individual sounds of the instruments during the concert, which is sad, cause it's often the subtleties that really make music enjoyable for me.

I don't know why they are allowed to play at that decibel level as I'm sure that exposure to that can cause damage. I complained afterwards, but they didn't seem to take it seriously. I thought they should at least warn people since not everyone is that experienced with such stuff. Had I known how loud it would be, I wouldn't have gone. if they need it that loud for the people who are hard of hearing because of hearing loss due to too loud music, well, rent hearing aids instead of selling ear plugs. I know loud music is supposed to create a sort of euphoria as it has an effect on the inner ear that affects your balance amonsgt other things. I just don't think its right. Think of the children....

I get all sorts of funny effects, high pitched noises in my ears, and even music blasting through my brain (usually Beethoven's 9th), so not sure how much of it is ear damage and how much is neurological. Firing guns and firecrackers had a bad effect on my ears, as did burst eardrums when on a far to fast aeroplane descent, which led to loss of hearing for a long time and a strip search by security in Japan for not understanding the questions while exhausted, hard of hearing, and in pain.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:56
From this list it was the Steve Howe Yes.
 The last show I want to was Sir Paul.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:30
Most recently Steve Wilson, but I would kill for Brand X reunion tour tickets coming up here..
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Why don't some of you go to concerts(and festivals too I'm assuming). Is it because you don't have anyone to go with, can't afford it or live in a remote area where prog bands don't play near where you live?

For me, it's a combination of reasons....

1. I want to protect what is left of my hearing.  After seeing hundreds of concerts and bar shows, I'm not willing to push my luck any further, plugs or not.  Music is too important to me to throw away my hearing on stupid volume levels. 

2.  I can't afford it.  Not only the prices, but the insane fees and parking charges downtown. 

3.  Today's shows are pretty formulaic.  In the day, you never knew what might happen at a show.  It's was mostly kids.  You could smoke while watching the show.  The light show was minimal, so the set list was fluid.  It was about the music, not the "show."  Now it seems like a bunch of middle aged folks on date night, dancing around to a carefully scripted Pepsi commercial.  Nothing worse than watching an old couple sing along to an old "hit" song knowing that they're both thinking about what they're going to do after this concert ends.  We should have known enough to leave concerts to young people.  Hope I die before I get old?  Never trust anyone over 30?  Maybe not.  But for God's sake, we should have let concerts remain the turf of young people. 

4. I don't much like crowds of people anymore.  I suppose mostly claustrophobia with a touch of misanthropy.  I'd rather watch a concert DVD in the comfort of my home, with my better half and my cat.  I can party without worrying about a DWI.  I can control the volume.  The sound is better.  I don't have to pay $10 for a beer.  I can pee without waiting. 

5.  My last concert, the Peter Gabriel show, was about as good as it gets.  Why not stop on a high note?   In my mind, I can go back to a certain shows in the early 80s -- BOC, Yes, REM, Sab/Dio, Van Halen, countless local and regional bands in the clubs.  Without the bullsh*t online ticket sales, I could camp out at the local record store, and pull a 3rd row seat for about $12.   The nights were so dreamy and memorable, the result of being young combined with a very different time.  There is nothing among major rock acts that can provide a similar experience any more.  My best shot would be going to see new, unknown bands at a local dive bar.  I might be able to catch the spark there.

6. Cell phones.  Really, people?   

Edited by Finnforest - August 16 2017 at 15:11
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:42
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Steve Hackett at this club in San Jose way back in '92.  After a great
full band show, a roadie put a chair center stage then Steve came out
and played about 20 minutes of unaccompanied classical guitar for the
encore Wink

Saw 'im that year also in Hermosa Beach, Calif. with, magically enough, a three-piece Brand X opening the evening's festivities. I'm still pinching myself.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'll never forget the Adrian Belew show at the Jammin' Java that left both Raff and I deaf for a week. Great show.. small venue... killer PA system haha.

You know that does permanent damage, right?

pfffff...

Raff does.. which is why she now brings them. Me?  f**k it. I've learned Ian through life that the only thing that can kill me.. is myself... been set on fire, blown up, totaled several cars at high speed, shot and stabbed and lost part of my hearing in one ear due to an explosion...and survived the Spawn of Satan ....and outwardly other than a crooked nose thanks to being too lazy to get it set after it got broken by a flying beer bottle you'd never know it.  Indestructible... until I prove not to me.. then I really won't care for it will have finally killed me. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 19:08
^ You sound like a stunt man. :D
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 12:34
I probably should have voted for "I don't go to many...."  But I would have had to add "any more".  I used to go multiple times per week:  every weekend at the Cafe au Go Go, the Fillmore East, Max's Kansas City, CBGBs, the Lone Star, the Academy of Music/Palladium, the Bottom Line, Irving Plaza, Trammps, the Kitchen, the Knitting Factory, the Turning Point, Maxwell's, etc. depending on the decade.  I've flown from NJ to California for concerts and from NJ to the UK and France for concerts.  So, I've paid my dues.  I've just slowed down a bit since I'm now married.  My wife doesn't mind me going at all, but now that I'm responsible for someone else besides myself I have to think about the budget.  Also, I'm getting up there in age.  I was 53 when I married for the 1st & only time and I've been happily married for 16 years.  The big 7 0 is staring me in the face.
Nevertheless, the last band I saw live was a perennial favorite:  Magma.
The next band I'm seeing live is King Crimson in November.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234