20 [28.99%]
22 [31.88%]
27 [39.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:25
Marillion has pulled into second place.. they were way behind! Thanks everyone. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:51
Angry well it seems lost another one to the crack cocaine that is f**king sissy and extremely UNprogressive Neo...

lovely...LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:57
For some reason I'm starting to once again feel peer pressure to stop listening to Marillion. :( 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:03
Eloy easily..go for "Dawn" first, unless you are a Floyd die hard, in which case go straight to "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes".  But Inside, Ocean, Colors, Planets, and Time to Turn are all GREAT

Re Marillion, I saw them at Cropredy a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't want to like them, but it was impossible not to, because Hogarth looks like a guy who has spent too many nights on a park bench, and he's funny too.  Rothery is one fine guitarist.  And the songs may drag on too long but it's pretty easy to find something to like in all of those epics.  A great quote that made it up on the screen was "Big queues at the concessions.  I waited for half a Marillion song"

Edited by kenethlevine - August 30 2017 at 22:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:06
*spits wine on monitor* 

I can be VERY persuasive.... Wink

Seriously...  listen to Wolf City if Yeti didn't curl your toes.. completely different kind of album and yet still.. smokes anything Eloy or f**king Marilion ever did.  Again.. nice groups...  decent output. ADII are f**king legends...  you need to explore them fully. They weren't a one album pony or a singlar stylistic trick...  that was one badass and wildly talented and creative group.  Check 'em out fully before circumcising to the dark side of f**king Neo hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:14
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Eloy easily..go for "Dawn" first, unless you are a Floyd die hard, in which case go straight to "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes".  But Inside, Ocean, Colors, Planets, and Time to Turn are all GREAT

Re Marillion, I saw them at Cropredy a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't want to like them, but it was impossible not to, because Hogarth looks like a guy who has spent too many nights on a park bench, and he's funny too.  Rothery is one fine guitarist.  And the songs may drag on too long but it's pretty easy to find something to like in all of those epics.  A great quote that made it up on the screen was "Big queues at the concessions.  I waited for half a Marillion song"

Right on! I find that to be true with them as well. :)

As far as Eloy I've listened to Ocean and Planets and I love them. Right now I like Marillion slightly better, but it's a very tough call. Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions. I'll have to check out those other Eloy albums, I bet they're awesome. 

Edited by YESESIS - August 30 2017 at 22:16
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

*spits wine on monitor* 

Seriously...  listen to Wolf City if Yeti didn't curl your toes.. completely different kind of album and yet still.. smokes anything Eloy or f**king Marilion ever did.  Again.. nice groups...  decent output. ADII are f**king legends...  you need to explore them fully. They weren't a one album pony or a singlar stylistic trick...  that was one badass and wildly talented and creative group.  Check 'em out fully before circumcising to the dark side of f**king Neo hahah

I don't like that other band that much but thanks for the suggestion anyway. 

And wait.. Neo is a part of Prog isn't it? 
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:22
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

[citation needed]
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:26
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

[citation needed]

Hilarious 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:26
if only I had kept my f**king mouth shut... Neo and every ONE of those groups would have ended up in Prog-related hahha.  My greatest failure as a Collaborator... getting fired from teh Neo team was cool.... getting a pink slip after only 24 hours was legendary.. but I didn't join to try to get those pussies on the team to have fun, discover booze, broads, and blow.. I did have ulterial motives. I just couldn't keep my damn mouth shut hahah.  

Prog?  yeah sure.  But a great deal of prog sucks.. just because it is prog doesn't mean it is good.  In fact.. prog more than any form of music.. has more percentage of sh*t vs. gold.  The redeeming quality of prog is when it hits the G spot... sh*t man...  you come 3 times intead of once.  It is the search for those bands that makes prog so interesting.. but 'prog'.   As much comopletely routine, boring, overdone and uncreative stuff as truly progressive, inspiring and inspirtaional.  Check out the 1000+ prog v. progressive threads over the years.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 22:42

if only I had kept my f**king mouth shut... Neo and every ONE of those groups would have ended up in Prog-related hahha.  My greatest failure as a Collaborator... getting fired from teh Neo team was cool.... getting a pink slip after only 24 hours was legendary.. but I didn't join to try to get those pussies on the team to have fun, discover booze, broads, and blow.. I did have ulterial motives. I just couldn't keep my damn mouth shut hahah.  

Prog?  yeah sure.  But a great deal of prog sucks.. just because it is prog doesn't mean it is good.  In fact.. prog more than any form of music.. has more percentage of sh*t vs. gold.  The redeeming quality of prog is when it hits the G spot... sh*t man...  you come 3 times intead of once.  It is the search for those bands that makes prog so interesting.. but 'prog'.   As much comopletely routine, boring, overdone and uncreative stuff as truly progressive, inspiring and inspirtaional.  Check out the 1000+ prog v. progressive threads over the years.

But.. I love Prog. So if Marillion is Prog then that's good enough for me. 

And I didn't know there was a difference between progressive and Prog?? But the name of this site is Prog Archives, not progressive archives. So I'll go with that. Thanks for your input though.. Always interesting lol. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 05:44

For some reason I'm starting to once again feel peer pressure to stop listening to Marillion. :( 

Don't do that. Listen to whatever you want. 

If you ask me, Marillion's last neo prog album was Seasons End. Big smile

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 06:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Don't do that. Listen to whatever you want. 

If you ask me, Marillion's last neo prog album was Seasons End. Big smile

Agreed

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 07:15

*spits wine on monitor* 

Wolf City is on my list.  Yeti did nothing for me, other than the last song.  I did kinda like Vive la Trance
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 09:59

You should take this with a pinch of salt man, there's a lot of bad faith concerning the neo bashing around here...

@micky: Give a good listen to Marillion 'Real to Reel' and tell me, without laughing, that it suck.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:03
I voted ADII then well behind are Eloy who are a nice pleasant but sometimes bland listen. Marillion were OK with Fish but the second version do nothing for my ears.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 19:07
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

You should take this with a pinch of salt man, there's a lot of bad faith concerning the neo bashing around here...

@micky: Give a good listen to Marillion 'Real to Reel' and tell me, without laughing, that it suck.

I might have to check that out.... I gave them 10 odd years of albums to try to me wet and hard.. both Fish and Hogwarts....alas they left me limp and dry as the desert...  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 19:14
Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. Seems to still be a pretty good split here. So Neo is anything released after the '70s? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 19:17

But.. I love Prog. So if Marillion is Prog then that's good enough for me. 

And I didn't know there was a difference between progressive and Prog?? But the name of this site is Prog Archives, not progressive archives. So I'll go with that. Thanks for your input though.. Always interesting lol. 

they don't call me Mr. Excitement for anything.  Put it this way.. I'd rather be spectacularly wrong.. than be boring. Thankfully I'm never boring.. and rarely wrong haha WinkLOL

prog = or =/ progressive is one of the foundations of discussion points around here and has been since the site was established. Thus the multitudes and mutlitudes of threads and discussions on it.  Yeah .. the site says it is PROG archives.. I suppose you know your music well enough to know that more than half the bands added here are not prog... never been considered prog.  Yet we added them.. for some of us what the score really was. It wasn't until this post...  the single musically related post I've ever read and I've been doing music forums since 2001.  It strikes to the heart of the two very different things at play here. Prog the genre... which connects the dots and touches upon the stylistic norms and progressive rock which throws all that sh*t in your face.. and in reality is just a coming of full circle back the beginning days of prog when you just had some muso's throw sh*t in the pot and see what comes out.. they don't consider themselves prog.. that isn't the goal. To appeal to backwards looking conservative artists.. but intelligent forward thinking (and yes.. often young listners) Hense Nearfest 2011... which it all came to a head

take it away man... reposted for the umpteenth time...

Jacob said: 
I'm just going to chime in on the original post, dunno what's been discussed over all these pages. 
I whole-heartedly applaud every prog festival organizer who has ever walked the earth for their amazing contribution to the entire prog revival. Without people like Rob and Chad and Greg and Steve and George and the rest, a lot of us in prog bands would simply be nowhere. Progfest and NEARfest in particular have been essential to the growth of Scandinavian prog in the 90's and noughties. 

It just seems that the time has come now for prog to find a new way. The festivals have become, as was mentioned, nostalgia get-togethers. They have been artificial life-lines for stagnant acts, rather than fertile grounds for new, exciting acts. And those organizers who have tried to feature some new blood have been punished by a rather backwards-looking audience. As with NEARfest this year. I don't think blaming either the audience, the organizers or the bands has any virtue. What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-) 

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there. 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 19:28

So Neo is anything released after the '70s? 

no
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>