Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:54
I'm not sure. Marillion, Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd. The first prog album that I bought was Pink Floyd - The Division Bell. But, around those years, I also listened to Marillion's debut and Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses. The first prog album that I bought and enjoyed thoroughly was Dream Theater - Awake. So, the answer should be this band.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 07:55
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Probably Renaissance was the first. When I was a kid my brother had Live at Carnegie Hall. I use to listen to it a lot.
After that it was Yes. A few years later I went to a Yes show & I was hooked. 

I'd forgotten about Renaissance. I was into them three years before Camel, starting with "Ashes Are Burning" (1973) for Renaissance and "Moonmadness" (1976) for Camel.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 09:05
No band in particular - it was listening to Alan Freeman's Saturday Afternoon Rock Show on BBC Radio 1 from about 1973 onwards.  The 'prog' label was not really around at that time and not one I identified with.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 07:03
Back in the day, we didn’t have wads of dough to drop on albums, so we made radio requests by rotary dial telephone, waited and taped songs from the radio. Some of the ones I distinctly remember recording were Freewill by Rush (which annoyingly overlapped with the tail end of Cradle Will Rock by Van Halen), Long Distance Runaround by Yes, and Don’t Cry by Asia (with a Casey Kasem introduction!). I remember playing Freewill over and over because that song has so many amazing elements: odd but well placed time signatures, lovely arpeggiated chord progressions, snappy rock riffs with well-voiced chords at higher register, and one of the best guitar/bass solos you’ll find anywhere in Progdom. But, I didn’t know it was Prog. I just knew it was intricate. So, Prog just sort of seeped into musical pores.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2022 at 14:27
Genesis (Live of 1973)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910