Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band first got you into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Poll Question: Which of these bands is most responsible for getting you into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [4.28%]
13 [6.95%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [9.63%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [5.35%]
6 [3.21%]
14 [7.49%]
6 [3.21%]
6 [3.21%]
0 [0.00%]
35 [18.72%]
1 [0.53%]
11 [5.88%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [1.60%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [16.04%]
17 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 08:02
I voted Floyd, due to The Wall when I was a teenager.....but maybe it was actually Jeff Wayne.....

Or, perhaps it was Genesis, as when I got The Platinum Collection it REALLY opened my ears.....
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 08:43
Always a Rush fan, but the band that ultimately got me into progressive music was Camel
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 08:49
Floyd. My sister had Wish You Were Here on LP.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 16:47
It was Queen followed closely by Rush. Since Rush are the first of those I really identified as "progressive" I voted for them.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 18:47
Misplaced Childhood was one of the firsts tape I bought.

It was 1985. 

The first music I listened to were The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, 1984. A friend of mine gave me a tape.

Beatles: Red and Blue Collection. Simon & Garfunkel: Greatest hits and the Concert in Central Park.

Then, in 1985 I bought the tape of Born in The Usa by Springsteen and was great. So I bought Nebraska, and 

I wonder: what? How is possible that these two albums are written by the same person?

Then I was very impressed by the video of Marillion: Lavander and Heart of Lothian, so I bought Misplaced

Childhood... I liked it very much but I was disappointed that the Lavender version on the Lp was shorter than
that of the video....

Anyway, then I started to listen to Springsteen, Bryan Adams, U2, Simple Minds...

So I cant vote for Misplaced Childhood.

The group that introduced me into prog was Van der Graaf Generator. A friend of mine was a fan, and invited me by him to listen to Van der Graaf and Peter Hammill... and then we continue with Gentle Giant, Yes, King Crimson, and so on. I was 24.

So I voted for Van Der Graaf. 

"Happiness is real only when shared"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 21:26
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

It was 1985. 

The first music I listened to were The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, 1984. A friend of mine gave me a tape.

Beatles: Red and Blue Collection. Simon & Garfunkel: Greatest hits and the Concert in Central Park.

Then, in 1985 I bought the tape of Born in The Usa by Springsteen and was great. So I bought Nebraska, and 

I wonder: what? How is possible that these two albums are written by the same person?

Then I was very impressed by the video of Marillion: Lavander and Heart of Lothian, so I bought Misplaced

Childhood... I liked it very much but I was disappointed that the Lavender version on the Lp was shorter than
that of the video....

Anyway, then I started to listen to Springsteen, Bryan Adams, U2, Simple Minds...

The group that introduced me into prog was Van der Graaf Generator. A friend of mine was a fan, and invited me by him to listen to Van der Graaf and Peter Hammill... and then we continue with Gentle Giant, Yes, King Crimson, and so on. I was 24.

If I am understanding your post correctly it seems that although Marillion was technically the first prog you listened to you can't vote for them because they didn't really get you into prog. After you first heard them you went back to listening to Springsteen, U2, Simple Minds etc(nothing wrong with them by the way; I actually like Springsteen and U2 but would swap out Simple Minds for Tears for Fears ;) ). So when you first heard VDGG that was really when your prog journey began because they(much more so than Marillion)encouraged you to listen to more prog. Is that about right?
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 22:18
Out of the selections, I have to say the Moody Blues, for me.  They were the earliest blend of classical and rock that I heard.  So goes my vote.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 00:47
ELP (Fanfare For The Common Man was a big hit in the UK and they looked like 3 Gods!)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 02:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

From the list, Floyd's DSOTM album (third album I ever bought  with my money).

but Supertramp's COTC is the album that threw me in prog back when it was released (Sept 74), though preceded by Harmonium's debut album a couple of months before and Jethro Tull's Stand Up & Aqualung (from my dad) a few years before...

Genesis' SEBTP  (though my second album ever bought) wasn't one that got me into it, because I WTF'd on it (the sonic issues were partly responsible) until TOTT was released, an instant click and SABTP became quitye clear for me.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 05:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

It was 1985. 

that of the video....

If I am understanding your post correctly it seems that although Marillion was technically the first prog you listened to you can't vote for them because they didn't really get you into prog. After you first heard them you went back to listening to Springsteen, U2, Simple Minds etc(nothing wrong with them by the way; I actually like Springsteen and U2 but would swap out Simple Minds for Tears for Fears ;) ). So when you first heard VDGG that was really when your prog journey began because they(much more so than Marillion)encouraged you to listen to more prog. Is that about right?

Yes, you are right.

I still like very much Misplaced Childhood but when I was a teenager I have few money to buy tapes or records (or the firsts CD) so I listened to the records of my friends.

And my friends didn't listen to prog except one who introduce me to PFM (PFM? PFM), but I didn't like it.

In 1985 I listened my first CD: Brothers in arms. Then, Suzanne Vega, I. I love that records.

But until I was 24 I didn't listen to prog music, because I continue to listen to Marillion but  "Clutching at Straws" and Incommunicado were not so beautiful as Misplaced Childhood and Lavander or Heart of Lothian. 

When I was 24 I knew a person very well educated about prog, and I went often in his house to listen to 

Prog,  the Prog of the Seventies! 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 06:59
Genesis (Selling England) or Pink Floyd (Dark Side), Yes (Relayer) came a bit later...it was 1974.
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 12:14
Yessongs (given a copy in 12th grade)
Genesis Live (found a water damaged Brit copy at Bldg #19)
ELP Brain Salad Surgery
VDGG Pawn Hearts
Magma Attahk

I think I had these as five of my first 20 albums, nudging my Zeppelin, Kiss and Aerosmith albums to back of crate
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 12:29
I can't say that any band got me into prog because I was listening to this kind of music and did not know it was called "prog" LOL. Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Genesis along with Queen, Zeppelin, Purple, Heep, Sabbath, Hendrix, The Doors, Joplin, etc, it was all classic rock. Music magazines were scarce (in my small hometown, me and my friends were sharing magazines, music, those were fun days) when I was a teen, that was way before the internet. 

Edited by Cristi - April 21 2020 at 12:30
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 00:22
Yeah. Genesis in 1977 when I saw them in That there London...when we thought that walkie talkies and casio digital watches were cool...primitive idiots...😎
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 01:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Yeah. Genesis in 1977 when I saw them in That there London...when we thought that walkie talkies and casio digital watches were cool...primitive idiots...😎

Ha ha ha great story M27Barny LOL My own tales (forgive the pun) was Yes on the Tales Tour!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 02:38
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I can't say that any band got me into prog because I was listening to this kind of music and did not know it was called "prog" LOL. Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Genesis along with Queen, Zeppelin, Purple, Heep, Sabbath, Hendrix, The Doors, Joplin, etc, it was all classic rock. Music magazines were scarce (in my small hometown, me and my friends were sharing magazines, music, those were fun days) when I was a teen, that was way before the internet. 

yeah, I know... I only heard of "Prog" (that dirty four letter wordTongueWink) in the 90's. Before that, those "prog" bands were usually coined as "Art Rock" (which created confusion with Hard Rock with non-native speakers).
As I understood it, in the 90's Art Rock's definition sort of slid towards bands that were more glammy, where the dress-up was gimmicky (Roxy Music & stuff).

I still don't think of Roxy as "prog", despite their second album, which has prog tendencies.

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 04:30
Definitely Tull. Thanks to my father, who is not a prog fan, just a big Tull fan.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 08:26
For me it was Genesis when my sister borrowed a copy of Nursery Cryme from someone and I had a sneaky listen. I then bought Genesis Live when it came out and that was that. Yes came a bit later via a school friend who was mad on them, then ELP and the rest.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 13:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For me it was Genesis when my sister borrowed a copy of Nursery Cryme from someone and I had a sneaky listen. I then bought Genesis Live when it came out and that was that. Yes came a bit later via a school friend who was mad on them, then ELP and the rest.

Ha! that Genesis 'Live' lp was an 'entry drug' for a lot of people to the world of Progressive rock, I reckonWink It did it for me too, it was cheap and boy did Gabriel look weird and scary on that cover!LOL

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Ha! that Genesis 'Live' lp was an 'entry drug' for a lot of people to the world of Progressive rock, I reckonWink It did it for me too, it was cheap and boy did Gabriel look weird and scary on that cover!LOL
Ha haTongue I remember the first time I saw that cover. It was quite spooky indeed, and made me want to listen to it. I already knew about Genesis and heard their music, but it was a whole new experience to hear them  perform live. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>