Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three big modern prog men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these "big three" do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [13.56%]
6 [10.17%]
32 [54.24%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [16.95%]
3 [5.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three big modern prog men
    Posted: September 16 2017 at 19:07
I guess you can't totally ignore their perspective bands but I'm really wondering which artist you prefer as a solo performer. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 19:21
Sorry, but I'm going to go with other for Toby Driver (who is also quite a big name at PA).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 19:42
Wilson for sure........
Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chula Vista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 23:37
Wilson definitely carrying the torch proudly. Sometimes really blatantly.

Animals?

Edited by Chula Vista - September 16 2017 at 23:37
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Olwe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olwe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 02:40
Should be Akerfeldt, Duda, Wilson.

Still the wote would go to our barefoot celebrity.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 02:52
First vote for Neal (from an atheist, also)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 07:16
Roine Stolt. I like Steven Wilson too, and Neal Morse, but Roine gets my vote.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 08:44
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Roine Stolt. I like Steven Wilson too, and Neal Morse, but Roine gets my vote.

I agree !!!Thumbs Up
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 10:19
Originally posted by Olwe Olwe wrote:

This ^
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 11:07
Wilson
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 15:38
Steven Wilson
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 16:34
Originally posted by Olwe Olwe wrote:

Why those three? Other than WIlson what significance do they have to the modern prog scene? I know of Akerfeldt but not Duda. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 16:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Sorry, but I'm going to go with other for Toby Driver (who is also quite a big name at PA).

You are certainly entitled to vote for him but he's obviously not on the same level as the three I mentioned(at least not as far as popularity or influence goes). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 17:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You are certainly entitled to vote for him but he's obviously not on the same level as the three I mentioned(at least not as far as popularity or influence goes). 

Not nearly even in the terms of what I was thinking about, forum posts, these days methinks. The cult of the Toby seems to have gone, mostly. At one time it seeemed he was almost on a Magma level of people mentioning the name in topics about other people. bands. For instance, someone would start a thread about looking for music on Neil Morse, and someone else would respond with, "You should listen to Toby Driver". Okay, not on a Magma level which was gratuitously mentioned like no other, but pretty big.

Of course when I said pretty big I was specifically thinking of PA (Prog Archives), and more specifically I was thinking of in the forums with regular forum posters (were at least five that I can recall, and it only takes a few people to make a big impression, especially if they are loud and persistent). ;)

I think he used to be a bigger name at Prog Archives, but these days he doesn't get mentioned nearly so much, and various of those once illustrious posters have left. Kayo Dot and Maudlin of the Well were pretty popular here. Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue won collab album of the year in 2006, and Part the Second came close, as I recall. Steven Wilson is pretty unbeatable in such things, though. You, being quite new, though, would've missed when he got mentioned a lot in the polls (by a few posters, mostly, but they were kind of the cool kids, in-crowd, so...). ;) Of course Roine Stolt and Neal Morse have always had their followers here too, but I didn't associate with them so much.

Ah, now I'm thinking about the good old days (which probably weren't as rosy, anarchic or fun as my recollection makes it seem).

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Toby Driver (although I do like Blue Lambency Downward very much, Coyote is very good, and I enjoy In the L..L..Library Loft
very much), but I didn't want to vote none of the above.

I was listening to the Sky Moves Sideways though, the other day, after a along time and quite enjoying it. Of your three, I would vote for Steven Wilson. I dislike Neil Morse and Roine Stolt's exploits on the whole (from what I've heard). A The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard album were two of my earliest forays into modern Prog, and I really disliked them. I then found Miriodor and had my faith restored.

Wouldn't have said anything or voted at all had you not added the extra options.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2017 at 17:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2017 at 18:48
Well if you enjoy him that's all that matters. I'll add him to my list of people to check out. Another artist I left off is Devin Townshend. He seems pretty important too especially in the prog metal crowd. I even had someone tell me once they got into prog through him. 

Actually, I'm not really new. I have been on here a long time but under a different user name. It's only this user name that it is new. Yeah I have heard of Toby but you are right it has been a while. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 17 2017 at 18:53
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 01:08
Another vote for Morse
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 08:44
I really like Steven Wilson but c'mon now: the correct answer is Neal Morse!!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:01
How is Roine Stolt a solo artist (or am I just missing something?)? Anyway, I respect him as a musician but have yet to come across anything he played on that resonated with me - be that Flower Kings, Kaipa, Karmakanic Agents Of Mercy.

I have great difficulties with Veal Horse - not because of his religious beliefs but because his voice sounds like a lesser version of Bruce Springsteen. Funny thing is I rather like Bruce whereas Veal's breathy almost heroic vocals make me climb the walls.

I like Steven a lot - moreso his old psychedelic self but I digress.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:30
He has released albums under his name:http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=973

The first in 1979.

EDIT: rather than making a new post, I just re-listened to bits of the only Toby Driver album I have had (the Library one), and it doesn't appeal to me much now. I thought about doing John Zorn instead, but because he has been so active since the 1970s (Stolt goes back to then too, though) I discounted him.

I actually can't think of any prog proper modern solo artist that I love. Must be various in electronic Prog. I do like Marvin Ayres in Electronic Prog, and he had one of my albums of the year for 2016, but he is a little known name (especially for his solo work).

The one I really love who is a modern prog-related artist to my ears, but not in PA, is Matt Berry, and I'm tempted to do another poll with him. He's an actor, comedian and writer, but also a musician and composer, and I genuinely adore his albums.

Edited by Logan - September 18 2017 at 10:02
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 09:49
I did check out Flower Kings/Kaipa + some solo-album and Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse Band like fifteen years ago or something. None of what I heard sounded remotely close to was searching for (it turned out that was Art Zoyd, Can and Magma). After that I haven't bothered with poll-option number one and two to the extent that I couldn't recognize them even through their most well known piece of music - had I been exposed to it. But are they really that big? Or modern? The third option has occasionally created something I can enjoy, which means I prefer him. I can't say I'm a fan though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>