Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What could Yes and King Crimson learn from each ..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat could Yes and King Crimson learn from each ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 20:42
Fripp was well aware of Yes and probably vice versa but the mark of a great artist is their originality---and these 2 bands are very original---and very different---I think Fripp could of not worried about being cool and done more melodic music---that he could have learned something from Yes---great melodies.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 23:57
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Well they have pretty much retired now. So they won't be learning anything from each other lol
Well if you´re thinking releasing three excellent live CD:s almost a year (KC) and quite good 2cd (Yes) and lots of touring is retiering, then they´re retired. I wasn´t suprised if both will even release new studio material.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 00:08
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well they have pretty much retired now. So they won't be learning anything from each other lol
Well if you´re thinking releasing three excellent live CD:s almost a year (KC) and quite good 2cd (Yes) and lots of touring is retiering, then they´re retired. I wasn´t suprised if both will even release new studio material.

Should retire. Probably one original member in each band left lol
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 01:56
^Well I think you should listen at least those Crimson lives. They´re playing really tight. And talking with original members in King Crimson, there were only three of them in the second album (Greg Lake just sang some pieces) and third there was only Fripp. Mel Collins, that came into band in "Lizard" has come back to band. And in Yes, there are no original members after Chris Squire died. But I don´t think Topographic Drama is totally ugly, although Alan White has some problems with his playing in some songs (he´s got back problems).

I know there are horrible old bands who should retire, but I don´t think any band have to finish as long as they´re playing well. I really would like to see both King Crimson and Yes, cause never seen them.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 07:50
Yes  is pretty pitiful at this point---other than Howe who can't seem to kiss and make up with Jon and rick ---I really believe they stay together so Squire's family can still make some money---he has a fairly young daughter that needs financial support I'm sure---

KC sounds good because the replacement 's in the band are all top notch strong players---Yes not so much

Edited by twosteves - January 02 2018 at 07:53
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 09:11
All these bands were well aware of each other. As to whether there was a need to learn from each other, I have no idea. Yes and KC had their own distinct style and sound and approach to writing. I guess you could argue that all good musicians learn from other musicians all the time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 10:54
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yes  is pretty pitiful at this point---other than Howe who can't seem to kiss and make up with Jon and rick ---I really believe they stay together so Squire's family can still make some money---he has a fairly young daughter that needs financial support I'm sure---

KC sounds good because the replacement 's in the band are all top notch strong players---Yes not so much

Yes has been "flat" since at least 2003, but they definitely died for good when Chris passed. He was Yes for me. Yes is all hired hands now and it's a mess.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 12:14
At this moment.

When to retire.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 12:36
Yes could have learned from KC how to improvise. Fripp could have learned to showboat just a little bit (not too much).
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 12:45
Oh, if only old dogs could learn new tricks.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 13:04
KC and Yes stopped making good albums around 1982, 83. They just tend to tour these days. Bit like Tull but at least they stopped making albums 15 years ago. It's Ian's solo band now.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 17:33

KC and Yes stopped making good albums around 1982, 83. They just tend to tour these days. Bit like Tull but at least they stopped making albums 15 years ago. It's Ian's solo band now.

I feel this is an accurate statement.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 19:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I believe King Crimson learned they should borrow Yes's drummer.

Borrow? When did they give him back? Tongue
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 06:20

Boring. I believe you´re also those guys who say Stones last good album is Tattoo You (and not even listened any that after albums, or maybe just undercover). Not saying any of these bands have made as great albums as they made in the sixties/seventies, but for example Yes Magnification and Fly From Here and Stones Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are decent albums. And although I prefer lot more KC seventies albums, you can´t say the band repeated in a dull way it´s past when it was started again. I think all KC albums are at least interesting. Also, still I don´t really have anything against old bands that play their greatest material in a good way, I enjoy to go listen them rather than some new band with their digi equipments.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:57

Boring. I believe you´re also those guys who say Stones last good album is Tattoo You (and not even listened any that after albums, or maybe just undercover). Not saying any of these bands have made as great albums as they made in the sixties/seventies, but for example Yes Magnification and Fly From Here and Stones Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are decent albums. And although I prefer lot more KC seventies albums, you can´t say the band repeated in a dull way it´s past when it was started again. I think all KC albums are at least interesting. Also, still I don´t really have anything against old bands that play their greatest material in a good way, I enjoy to go listen them rather than some new band with their digi equipments.

I don't like any Stones album lol
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 23:40
^Do you like any album old band or artist has made in it´s older days?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 02:13
"What could Yes and King Crimson learn from Gentle Giant?"

I feel a new thread coming... Cool

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 03:08
^nothing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 03:38

^nothing.

Meh, I feel there was at least some vocal production stuff that could have been borrowed.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 04 2018 at 05:23

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:59

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I believe King Crimson learned they should borrow Yes's drummer.
Borrow?

Steal? Filch? Appropriate? Commandeer? Inherit? Purloin? Snatch? Poach? Pilfer? Despoil? Pillage? Acquire? Adopt?

Pick a word. Don't be dense.
Hey, look who has a thesaurus! Nice to see you're using it, and Happy New Year. And you're still wrong. Sure, Fripp suggested to Bruford that he might have a more rewardable place elsewhere towards the end of his tenure with Yes, but the latter wasn't stolen in the process. Bruford left on his own volition, citing, incidentally, his frustration with one Yes co-founder showing up repeatedly late for recording sessions. By the way, all this is common knowledge.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>