Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norwegian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 06:57

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 18:02
Originally posted by Sonic Hashshashin Sonic Hashshashin wrote:

Popol Vuh (later known as Popol Ace)

A great band. A couple of their songs were covered later by other bands, e.g. All We Have Is the Past. As you probably know, they had to change their name becasue of the German band who had it first.  
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 13:39
Originally posted by dauinghorn dauinghorn wrote:

Just added a new Jordsjø tune on bandcamp. Only digital release for now. It was supposed to be a part of the forthcoming "Nattfiolen" album, but was dropped for different reasons. New full length in April 2019.

https://jordsjo.bandcamp.com/track/nattfiolen-demo

This is a great track! Thank you for sharing it on Bandcamp, especially if it won't be on the upcoming album. I'm very excited for that one! Jord was certainly one of the best of last year.

Any news on Ingelrii? I'm happy to hear that The Chronicles of Father Robin should be out in 2019.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

proghaven View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proghaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2018 at 16:43
Why nobody remembers Thule? Yes Kerrs Pink is the soul of Norway, but Thule is Aurora Borealis Alive!
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 10:34
When I was a music reviewer, the (then) new albums that picked my interest were Magic Pie's albums, and Lucifer Was' albums. I even listened their  whole discography many times. 

Also as for prog metal, Pagan's Mind generally delivers, Illusion Suite's debut album "Final Hour" was awesome, Trivial Act's "Mindscape" and Oceans of Time's "Faces" were also decent.

Including the 70's prog rock stuff, I think Norwegian scene is almost always of high quality. The only thing that I really didn't like is Leprous, ironically they've been one of their most famous bands in the recent years.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2019 at 12:18
Image result for Colours norwegian record label
Anything on this label!

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - January 01 2019 at 12:22

Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 00:39
About 16 months ago I was introduced to Motorpsycho by a couple of friends. And very few days have gone by since then that I haven't listened to at least one of their albums. I'm hooked. Such a massive variety of styles encompassing pretty much most rock genres and extending outwards from there. A band from whom you never really know what to expect, except excellent music. And an incredible live band. I've seen them six times now, though only once here in the UK. So I've made trips to Köln (DE), Alkmaar and Tilburg (for Roadburn) (NL), Düsseldorf (DE), and Drammen (Norway) to see them. At the last of those, they were joined by Elephant9 who were utterly spellbinding.

If you have not seen Motorpsycho, but are curious and have the opportunity, I highly recommend them. They play a different set each night, drawing up the setlist just hours before the gig. And they leave plenty of space in a number of their songs for jamming. So what you're getting is not a carefully orchestrated repeat of every other show on the tour, but something immediate, visceral, unpredictable and alive. Don't get me wrong, well-orchestrated shows can also be incredible, but among progressive rock bands (or bands with progressive tendencies), they tend to be the norm and personally I find it highly refreshing and more than just a little bit exciting to experience a concert - by a well-established band - that's less predictable. But be warned, they play loud, so bring your earplugs.

Anyway, I expect I'm preaching to the converted here as Motorpsycho already sit at the top table in the Norwegian rock hall of fame. ;)

But if you haven't heard them, just check out their 4-star-plus rated studio albums (Trust Us; Phanerothyme; In the Fishtank [with Jaga Jazzist Horns]; The Death Defying Unicorn [with Ståle Storløkken]; Behind the Sun [with Reine Fiske]; The Tower) and one of their live Roadwork albums, and you'll start to see what all the fuss is about. But don't listen to just one, because this is very much not a band that can be represented by one album, so diverse is their output. :D

It's good to see Amgala Temple mentioned above. Their album Invisible Airships is a beautiful slice of effortless psych-jazz-rock fusion. One of my albums of 2018, along with Elephant9's Greatest Show on Earth.

I now look forward to going back over this thread to pick up some more recommendations. Cheers.

Edited by Plizzard - January 10 2019 at 00:42
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Norway has been dishing out some of the most interesting experimental music lately. I absolutely adore the new Ulver album!
Other bands not mentioned in the OP that I really dig are Seven Impale, Major Parkinson, Shining and elephant9.
Scandinavia is the bee's knees for music these days

What's up with Denmark? Tell me as an insider why your neighbors consistently crank out some of the best prog and metal bands the world has ever encountered but Denmark only manages to squeak one out now and again. Or am i missing something?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:12
There are a few bands listed here on PA: Causa Sui, Düreforsög, Papir, Afenginn, Taylor’s Universe, Øresund Space Collective, Værket as well as a dozen or so psych bands.
The scene for experimental music in Denmark is much more focused on weird pop, experimental hip hip, metal, psych and electronic...though more of an experimental idm/house take on it.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:23
^^ I blame the hygge. Them Danes are too happy to make much prog. They do however own more headphones per capita than any other nation.

Ever wondered why Anglagard's music is so dark and tortured? Try spending five hours in IKEA one Saturday.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 10 2019 at 07:24
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:33
Really like the two Magic Pie albums I own (Suffering Joy and King for a Day); want to get the others at some point. I also own an album each by Airbag and Gazpacho.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 08:55
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^^ I blame the hygge. Them Danes are too happy to make much prog. They do however own more headphones per capita than any other nation.

Ever wondered why Anglagard's music is so dark and tortured? Try spending five hours in IKEA one Saturday.

We hygger ourselves very much that’s for sure but there is also a darkness there that imho comes from the darkness around us. This time a year it’s literally black from somewhere around 4 in the afternoon to 8 the following morning, well at least where I live (northern part of Jutland).
Also why we export so much “Nordic Noir” to the outside world. People really got hooked after watching ‘Forbrydelsen’.

I literally laughed out loud in the bus home from work reading about IKEA and Änglagård
I detest IKEA with a fiery passion. Whenever I’m in there I die a little. There are no freaking windows!!! Ever thought about that? You zombie around amidst all these Borises and Ülvas with no natural lighting and in this artificial smelling odour that stems from everything in there. A black hole of consciousness. Like reading a book but not registering meaning. Vacant. The only time I remember anything from a trip to IKEA was because I was drunk..or still deunk from the night before. I’d promised a friend of mine that I’d help out transporting his new sofa. I saw the bed testing area while he headed for sofacountry. Score! Must’ve slept for a while because I was brutely awoken by this tiny little blonde who looked about as indignated as I’ve ever seen anyone in my life. I guess some folks just turn 80 in their minds around 19? Anyhoo I managed to stumble out of there and catch probably a half hour’s worth of my friend pondering the exquisite virtues of leather vs cotton. What a day!!!

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 10 2019 at 09:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:53

We hygger ourselves very much that’s for sure but there is also a darkness there that imho comes from the darkness around us. This time a year it’s literally black from somewhere around 4 in the afternoon to 8 the following morning, well at least where I live (northern part of Jutland).
For some reason this puts me in mind of the lovely cover art on that first Ragnarok album with the guy cycling to work at the factory in the dark. Which is a Swedish album of course

I literally laughed out loud in the bus home from work reading about IKEA and Änglagård
I detest IKEA with a fiery passion. Whenever I’m in there I die a little. There are no freaking windows!!! Ever thought about that? You zombie around amidst all these Borises and Ülvas with no natural lighting and in this artificial smelling odour that stems from everything in there. A black hole of consciousness. Like reading a book but not registering meaning. Vacant. The only time I remember anything from a trip to IKEA was because I was drunk..or still deunk from the night before. I’d promised a friend of mine that I’d help out transporting his new sofa. I saw the bed testing area while he headed for sofacountry. Score! Must’ve slept for a while because I was brutely awoken by this tiny little blonde who looked about as indignated as I’ve ever seen anyone in my life. I guess some folks just turn 80 in their minds around 19? Anyhoo I managed to stumble out of there and catch probably a half hour’s worth of my friend pondering the exquisite virtues of leather vs cotton. What a day!!!
Yeah, I loathe that place as well. With its terrible labyrinthine layout designed by Nyarlathotep to make you walk past every damn thing in the shop and then get lost and walk past the same stuff again and again until your brain liquifies. All with the intention of turning you into a drooling cretin who will mindlessly fill the trolley with every stupid pointless product they sell there. I once nearly got punched by a German guy because I accidentally ran my trolley into the back of his foot and then didn't apologise loudly enough. He was on the edge, man. Probably been stuck in there for days.

Also I think they drug the meatballs.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 10 2019 at 11:56
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 23:51
Originally posted by Plizzard Plizzard wrote:

About 16 months ago I was introduced to Motorpsycho by a couple of friends. And very few days have gone by since then that I haven't listened to at least one of their albums. I'm hooked. Such a massive variety of styles encompassing pretty much most rock genres and extending outwards from there. A band from whom you never really know what to expect, except excellent music. And an incredible live band. I've seen them six times now, though only once here in the UK. So I've made trips to Köln (DE), Alkmaar and Tilburg (for Roadburn) (NL), Düsseldorf (DE), and Drammen (Norway) to see them. At the last of those, they were joined by Elephant9 who were utterly spellbinding.

If you have not seen Motorpsycho, but are curious and have the opportunity, I highly recommend them. They play a different set each night, drawing up the setlist just hours before the gig. And they leave plenty of space in a number of their songs for jamming. So what you're getting is not a carefully orchestrated repeat of every other show on the tour, but something immediate, visceral, unpredictable and alive. Don't get me wrong, well-orchestrated shows can also be incredible, but among progressive rock bands (or bands with progressive tendencies), they tend to be the norm and personally I find it highly refreshing and more than just a little bit exciting to experience a concert - by a well-established band - that's less predictable. But be warned, they play loud, so bring your earplugs.

Anyway, I expect I'm preaching to the converted here as Motorpsycho already sit at the top table in the Norwegian rock hall of fame. ;)

But if you haven't heard them, just check out their 4-star-plus rated studio albums (Trust Us; Phanerothyme; In the Fishtank [with Jaga Jazzist Horns]; The Death Defying Unicorn [with Ståle Storløkken]; Behind the Sun [with Reine Fiske]; The Tower) and one of their live Roadwork albums, and you'll start to see what all the fuss is about. But don't listen to just one, because this is very much not a band that can be represented by one album, so diverse is their output. :D

It's good to see Amgala Temple mentioned above. Their album Invisible Airships is a beautiful slice of effortless psych-jazz-rock fusion. One of my albums of 2018, along with Elephant9's Greatest Show on Earth.

I now look forward to going back over this thread to pick up some more recommendations. Cheers.

I share your love for Motorpsycho! What a wonderful band. I preordered the Crucible--I even set an alarm to wake up at 3am here in California so I could get the limited edition vinyl! I can't believe they are so varied from album to album and maintain such a high quality.

(An American band that is similar but not quite up to the Motorpsycho level is Cheer-Accident.)
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Plizzard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 03:22
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I share your love for Motorpsycho! What a wonderful band. I preordered the Crucible--I even set an alarm to wake up at 3am here in California so I could get the limited edition vinyl! I can't believe they are so varied from album to album and maintain such a high quality.

(An American band that is similar but not quite up to the Motorpsycho level is Cheer-Accident.)

I hope you managed to get the vinyl. The Stickman Records website seemed to having trouble with all the traffic that morning. Fortunately I only wanted the CD and manged to get it of course. Along with that I also ordered a bunch of other Motorpsycho CDs as many of their albums I only have on download at the moment. A few days later I also managed to order a copy of the CD version of A Boxful of Demons at a highly discounted price from a Norwegian site via a friend of mine in Oslo. It's been a good week for buying MP albums!! Can't wait till they all arrive :D

I'll check out Cheer Accident. I know the name but haven't heard them yet. Thanks for the recommendation.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 04:32
I’m spinning more Norwegian Prog than Swedish Prog these days (along with my current Metal fixation).
Tusmorke esp. (sorry, can’t print the accents properly)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 08:04
I love IKEA. Even if the guy was a Nazi.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 08:34
Professor Tip Top - psychedelic/space aficionados should pay attention, they have a new album out in 2019

Edited by Rivertree - January 15 2019 at 08:36

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 03:14
Kiss Kiss King Kong

I like the sophisticated jazzy vibe most of the bands are delivering here and there

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 15:25

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>