Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norwegian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 08:12
This is one of my favourite albums of 2021, Filip Zenon Ramberg's "Passasje". He's played in a band called Wind earlier, this is his first solo record.
A lot of fuzz, spoken word, jazzy grooves and cool lyrics (in Norwegian). Some parts reminds me of Dungen. The vinyl is only in 200x, so be quick!

https://zenonhq.bandcamp.com/album/passasje-2
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 01:34
A small update from the (still quite warm) north.

I think many of you will appreciate Trondheim Jazz Orkester's new album Plastic Wave. Ståle Storløkken (from Elephant9) and Ola Kvernberg (Steamdome) are members of this version of the orchestra. Really cool compositions and lots of groovy stuff!

If you are into Freak Folk and understand Norwegian, I deeply recommend "Skeive Vekkelsen" (and their earlier album, "Nye Vekkelsen"), although I don't think it would be that interesting if you don't get the lyrics. They're inspired by old D.I.Y. Christian movements in Norway.
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 01:53
A few more:

Alaisdair Roberts is a Scottish folk singer who has collaborated a lot with Norwegian musicians, a group called Völvur. They've released an album now called "The Old Fabled River" and it's a nice combination of Alasdair beautiful voice and compositions and variated instrumentations and arrangements by the band. For fans of Incredible String Band, Bert Jansch.

Harpreet Bansal is a Norwegian/Indian violinist trained in the Indian Classical tradition. She has released a beautiful album called Movements. It's a sort of modern raga music played by a large ensemble. Very good stuff, indeed! For fans of Shakti and the more orchestrated work by Ravi Shankar.

Edited by dauinghorn - September 09 2021 at 01:55
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 04:42
So far, five out of my favorite dozen 2021 albums are from Norway.
Caligonaut, Needlepoint, Leprous, Elephant9, and Jordsjø. 
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 16:02
Norway always plays a pretty big part in my library. Here's what I've thought of the 2021 Norwegian releases I've heard:

Caligonaut - Pretty good. This is what Wobbler's last album should have been like.
Jordsjø - This was a disappointment. So muddled and meandering. It felt really aimless at points.
Leprous - I didn't like it, but that was expected. Einar needs to learn when to tone it done. Not as godawful as Pitfalls but still bad.
Needlepoint - Decent Canterbury, though nothing spectacular
Suburban Savages - Pretty solid. Good prog-pop with a lot of solid ideas.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 16:04
Originally posted by TheEliteExtremophile TheEliteExtremophile wrote:

Norway always plays a pretty big part in my library. Here's what I've thought of the 2021 Norwegian releases I've heard:

Caligonaut - Pretty good. This is what Wobbler's last album should have been like.
Jordsjø - This was a disappointment. So muddled and meandering. It felt really aimless at points.
Leprous - I didn't like it, but that was expected. Einar needs to learn when to tone it done. Not as godawful as Pitfalls but still bad.
Needlepoint - Decent Canterbury, though nothing spectacular
Suburban Savages - Pretty solid. Good prog-pop with a lot of solid ideas.

Forgot to add Meer. I like it. Pretty decent artsy charmber-prog, but it hasn't really held up over multiple listens. I still enjoy it, but I'll skip around.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 08:02

Pitfalls is an incredible album!  What don't you like?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 11:51
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Just about everything other than "The Sky Is Red". The compositions are predictable, basic, and unimaginative. The arrangements are unimaginative, and the constant LOUD-quiet-LOUD-quiet got real old real fast. Einar's vocals are overbearing and overwrought to the point of comedy, and I simply don't like all his ethereal "ooh-ahh"-ing that he so clearly loves to do. If you're curious to read some more in-depth thoughts about Aphelion, you can check out my review here.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 04:27

Just about everything other than "The Sky Is Red". The compositions are predictable, basic, and unimaginative. The arrangements are unimaginative, and the constant LOUD-quiet-LOUD-quiet got real old real fast. Einar's vocals are overbearing and overwrought to the point of comedy, and I simply don't like all his ethereal "ooh-ahh"-ing that he so clearly loves to do. If you're curious to read some more in-depth thoughts about Aphelion, you can check out my review here.

Fair enough.  It was the first Leprous album I bought and I love it.  I have Bilateral, which I also think is great.  Haven't heard the new one yet but I'm expecting to like it more than you do!
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 09:19
Forgive me if already mentioned:

Barock - "So Near - Flight On The Moon" (1976)
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 23:57

I have to agree with your sentiments. I have listened quite a bit to their earlier albums, but especially the later albums do fall into the same patterns and going from one album to the next doesn't give me that much. It's more of the same and not interesting enough to warrant my attention.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 06:22
Norwegians are the new Swedes.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 07:37
Great year for Norway!!!

Caligonaut
Meer
Jordsjo
Motorpsycho
Tusmorke
Needlepoint
Kerrs Pink
The Prog Corner
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 09:34
I'm not quite sure if this fits the prog scope but I figure it's still worth mentioning: Stian Carstensen, keyboardist/accordionist of jazz fusion band Farmers Market, released a solo album last fall. It sounds a lot more stately and symphonic than his work with Farmers Market, so if that band sounds too chaotic for you, you might enjoy this.

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 09:47
Two I first listened to the past week:

Shamblemaths - Shamblemaths II
MEER - Playing House

Another good year by Norway. Magnified by Giants is my favourite so far from Norway and might be my best of all in 2021.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 12:34

"What is your favorite Norwegian band?"

Well, in fact I like only one album with Green Carnation and one with White Willow, but I like best the one with GC so, it could be a kind of my favourite Norwegian band. Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 15:55
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Great year for Norway!!!

Caligonaut
Meer
Jordsjo
Motorpsycho
Tusmorke
Needlepoint
Kerrs Pink

They've been knocking it out of the Park. Shamblemaths at the plate. They connect!  That one is going, going...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 22:38
A 2021 contender:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 04:02
A very good year for post/progressive rock/metal from Norway: Soup, Leprous, Giant Sky, Meer and Himmellegeme. All in my top 15 of 2021. Smile

Edited by PhideauxFan - December 11 2021 at 04:03
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 13:19
saws reading trough most of this and wonder why nobody seemed to mention Green Carnation.
I think they are brilliant.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>