FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad Choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 18:32
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

1) "A".  After buying every Tull album the day it hit the store from Warchild on, "A" was the first time I really felt let down.  Not just by the music, but the personnel changes as well...I could not imagine a Tull without Barrie on drums or John Evan on keys.  It became the 1st Tull tour I didn't attend in 4 years.

Me too. I did notice a certain tiredness when they got to Stormwatch, but I considered it the third part of a trilogy and it held up to parts 1 & 2 pretty well. I was expecting a turn-about in 1980, something like what they did with Too Old, but I wasn't expecting that. I was too sad about losing Barrie and John and of course John Glasscock to be able to enjoy it. I still can't enjoy it. I did see see them on that tour, it didn't help.

I think it was the white jumpsuits and the baseball caps.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 18:54
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

The COnstrukction of Light; because I wasn't ready to appreciate it yet

So now you appreciate it(?). So where's the bad choice?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 19:19
There was this great indie record store in the '70s and '80s on the outskirts of El Cajon, Calif. called Blue Meanies Records. It had an interesting bootleg record section and thorough bins of used records. People traveled for miles to off their records there. By then, I had gotten into the habit of copying my prog albums onto cassette tape then taking them over to this record store for some quick cash (a bad move in itself). In the early '80s, I went to a Firesign Theatre performance at UCSD and arrived there long before the show was to start. One of the Firesigns, David Ossman, came out of the side of the auditorium peering at a page from the night's script, and as he walked by me, I wished him a good show. This delighted the man, and he asked me to stay put. He reentered the auditorium and came back out a few minutes later. He walked on over and handed me a page of script containing autographs from all four Firesigns. I was jazzed and upon returning home, slipped the paper into one of my record albums for safekeeping purposes. Sometime later, that record and about 20 others ended up being sold to Blue Meanies. I'm still kicking myself.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 19:27
^ ouch!

Edited by Barbu - February 09 2018 at 08:42
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 19:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Purchasing any Slayer CD.

LOL! I second that.

Right? Senior year high school, I had to own ridiculous amounts of thrash metal on CD. What a waste, lmao.
Why a waste ?? I’m curious......
Anthrax for ever !! Then Slayer

I admit I still enjoy a few Anthrax albums a good deal. Persistence of Time is a thrash classic. Ditto for Testament's The Ritual
PoT

<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Testament is the best thrash band mentioned in this thread so far. Almost everybody in the thrash community hates The Ritual...and I LOVE that record. Alex Skolnick is amazing. Megadeth Rust in Peace has been my favorite thrash record since 10th grade.</span>
Haven’t heard much Testament. I have their latest, it’s pretty good.
Rust In Piece is pure classic, best thing Mustaine has done.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 20:05
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Confession, part the second: I went through the CDs I left with my parents 20 years ago and found it in the box. It has now returned to my collection where I may wear my shame like a badge.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 22:00
About bootlegs it´s really hard to know today which is bootleg and which is not. I believe some time "Let them eat vinyl"-albums are not bootlegs until I bought Beefheart Somewhere over detroit. Recording quality is just awful! Haven´t bought any of their vinyls after that. Not ever been big bootie-fan and ever put lots of money to them, but have to say those three Floyd booties from Swingin Pig I got are all really great!

Also, it´s sad they made those booties from original albums these days even with original labels. I was fooled at first about Tom Waits Black Rider-vinyl bootie, of course the price was so much cheaper than the original one I should understand it at first place. But it was first time I saw a bootie made from original vinyl. There exists also fake Island pressing of "In the Wake of Poseidon".
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 01:51

Purchasing any Slayer CD.

LOL! I second that.

Right? Senior year high school, I had to own ridiculous amounts of thrash metal on CD. What a waste, lmao.
Why a waste ?? I’m curious......
Anthrax for ever !! Then Slayer  

I admit I still enjoy a few Anthrax albums a good deal. Persistence of Time is a thrash classic. Ditto for Testament's The Ritual
PoT  

<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Testament is the best thrash band mentioned in this thread so far. Almost everybody in the thrash community hates The Ritual...and I LOVE that record. Alex Skolnick is amazing. Megadeth Rust in Peace has been my favorite thrash record since 10th grade.</span>
Haven’t heard much Testament. I have their latest, it’s pretty good.
Rust In Piece is pure classic, best thing Mustaine has done.

Testament is worth digging into IMHO. I really enjoy The Legacy, The New Order, and Practice What You Preach.

Rust in Peace is by far the best thing Mustaine has ever done.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 08:50
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

About bootlegs it´s really hard to know today which is bootleg and which is not. I believe some time "Let them eat vinyl"-albums are not bootlegs until I bought Beefheart Somewhere over detroit. Recording quality is just awful! Haven´t bought any of their vinyls after that. Not ever been big bootie-fan and ever put lots of money to them, but have to say those three Floyd booties from Swingin Pig I got are all really great!

Bootlegs had their place in time. These days with the facility for recording things all bands can do their own show for a dollar (so to speak) and get good enough quality to release it as a CD.

That was not the case 40 years ago.

It was through bootlegs that bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, and many others got even bigger. Their shows were excellent, and even though the recording might not have been great, if you could not feel the energy behind it, you were not listening, and were not interested in the band at all, anyway.

If you could not appreciate the majority of the LZ boots (before Jimmy screwed most up!), for their amazing energy and beauty, you were not a person that appreciated music, and how it was being made and shown to you. ALL of these were slightly different than the album, and in many cases, way better than the album and this was something that many folks could appreciate, except those that were not into listening to the band and hearing them as they are! 

Pink Floyd was of large interest, because they were a "sound" band, before DSOTM, when the sound became just special effects for their songs. Before then, the quadraphonic sound created little "stories" and a good example was "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" and similar things that went on for 5 minutes, as if the band was busy taking a breakfast break ... and in quad (sound around the room/place) this was cool and then some ... and then a song started. Later these bits and pieces became the real story, and you got The Wall, for example, but it killed the experimentation and the fun that the band had.

Today, many bands record their own shows and sell it right there for you, so, at least you get an awesome memory of that night ... although I am not sure I need to hear MP play a different note Wednesday night, than he did Tuesday night in Seattle! Or that the drummer threw out a swear word on a miss!

Quality is, sometimes, something that we mis-represent ... so you watched this, and the quality of the performance was amazing, but there is no recording of it ... when you happen to find a boot, the quality stinks ... and you gonna tell me that the performance stunk? 

You either listen and hear it for the performance, or you are no fan of that band's work. And this is where bands like LZ made it big ... they were better in concert than they were in the albums for the most part ... and you can not imagine that, unless you close your eyes, and try to sync in to one of those old bootlegs ... their energy is amazing.

There were others, like the Grateful Dead, that many years ago started recording their own and sell it to the fans, so they could have a better quality copy of the show ... and it just shows how much they cared about their fan base to ensure they also got the best they had to offer ... no other bands out there even consider such a thing! Bob Dylan, for the longest time didn't care about the boots, and finally one day the "Basement Tapes" was released to stop the famous bootleg ... but even that was different than the bootleg, which kinda showed that Bob liked changing lyrics all the time ... but his band never wavered on him! Which suggests it was intentional, but it gave some material a different perspective.

Boots were not "bad choices" ... and if there were some, I would say that Jethro Tull boots were disappointing, with the very early exception of a 20 minute version of "My God" ... that I have never heard again anywhere. He's out of breath and asking for more ... and proceeds to pump the flute for another 5 minutes more! The Doors had weirdness in it, and I think that many of these were goof'd with intentionally. The Bonzo Dog Band, showed you that even hip musicians went to the theater and saw film, and used that imagery on their lyrics! The Let It Be outtakes, should easily make the film an hour longer, but I think that the producers decided they could not make money off the rest of the stuff and killed it ... the re-releases later, was more versions (and some worse!!!!) than what was already there, but they did not want folks to find stuff that had already been seen or heard. It also hid the fun the Beatles had with many other actors and comedians during the time. The Beatles had to be God and all other religions be darn'd!

There are no "bad choices" per se. And specially not in the boots, where you can find a real person, instead of some idealistic rock this or that. But, the thought might just be that this is NOT what you were looking for when you got that boot, and the difference hurt your appreciation for that artist ... for me, this is about you and your perception of things ... not about the artist. Make sure you understand that side of things!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 11:18
EDIT

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 03 2018 at 12:54

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:03
The Man and The Journey is an excellent sounding bootleg.
So are several Utopia boots I own.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:50
Just saying I have nothing against boots as long as they offer something that hasn´t released before. I think boot-versions to original (I mean exactly same labels etc.) sucks. Because there are naive people like me, who automatically can´t understand from the price it´s boot (also I can think sellers who at least try to sell them as originals with high prices). The reason why I am not often buying boots is you never know the quality. Some of them has good reputation, for example Swingin Pig I already mentioned.

Of course I am thinking the artist should be the first one to get the money from his art, but that´s another story...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:52
ahhh... redheads....  especially those with deadly aim with pots and pans when pissed...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 21:54
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Another regret: Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree.  I liked InAbsentia pretty well and loved Deadwing, but found FoaBP either derivative or dreary.  So many reviewers on Prog Archives raved about the album I thought it had to be a winner.  Nope. Snooze-fest. Turned me off to the band almost completely and I never want to buy another album by them ever again, no matter what anybody might have to say.

But if you ever got the DVD of Steven Wilson playing the music form Blank Planet, it's actually quite brilliant if you ask me. I also found the album a bit dreary as well, but the DVD is anything but...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Honestly, I can not say that I have made a lot of "bad choices" ... mostly with (progressive) radio around me in the early days, and then by having the collection strong enough to not need any more radio, the ability to make "bad choices" ... takes a back seat.

I am not sure that I go around and say that this Picasso is good, and that one is bad. Likewise, I do not say that this album by Dream Theater is good, and that one is bad ... it's the same ARTIST and PERSON, and they are entitled to their voice just like we are, however, we come off as self-righteous (so religious of us!!!) when we say things like that, is my opinion.

I prefer to have some respect for the artistry involved, even if it is not my preference. Ex: I'm not a country music fan, but it would be hideous and stupid if I did not admit that some of those folks have a heck of a very nice voice to sing with!

The artistry is the thing! Not our opinions!

An album is a piece of art, like a painting, or a poem, or a film. The artist puts it out in the domain and then individuals listen to it and make up their own minds about it. If enough individuals like it and buy it, the artist is encouraged by the demand and then makes more albums. That's why art shouldn't be free. There needs to be a price on art to encourage the artist to make more art.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:34
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Another regret: Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree.  I liked InAbsentia pretty well and loved Deadwing, but found FoaBP either derivative or dreary.  So many reviewers on Prog Archives raved about the album I thought it had to be a winner.  Nope. Snooze-fest. Turned me off to the band almost completely and I never want to buy another album by them ever again, no matter what anybody might have to say.

But if you ever got the DVD of Steven Wilson playing the music form Blank Planet, it's actually quite brilliant if you ask me. I also found the album a bit dreary as well, but the DVD is anything but...

Does anyone seriously expect P Tree to be anything but a minor key experience?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 04:42
^Yes...but maybe that's because we like em.
So what band do you like that we can openly ridicule my good lord?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 05:00
Last time I felt let down by a band was probably the last P Tree album. Not up to scratch guys, sorry. Lost it's focus (from the start)... the big magnum opus track was some autobiographical stuff from SW. P Tree had high standards and had they existed in the 70s they'd be venerated as one of the greats.

Now I always try before I buy. And I always want the complete album not the ones without the bonus cuts.

Glad someone mentioned Ramshackled earlier. I thought it was just me but I recall the album was, well, awful.

I liked Testaments Ritual (also mentioned earlier) but I was never thrash community material. I'd give it 3 stars which is all most albums can reasonably expect. There was another (title? Cover was some black hooded deathly types). Started with some nice Spanish guitar and then every track proceeded with same guitar sounds so everything sounded like everything else. Tedious. Mind you I loaned a copy of Scorpions Love drive to a pal who didn't like it cause th material was all different throughout. Funny old world.

Heard Heaven And Earth enough to know it won't be existing in the collection. Still not yet heard Open Your Eyes. Maybe one day. At least it has Anderson present. I don't mind different singers as such but writing is a very different matter. Stay at tribute band level.

Still wonder why people regard OK Computer as godly. God awful for me. It actually had me writhing putting up wit those awful guitars...

Oh yes, for once a disappointing Sabbath release. Forbidden. Everyone has a classic and Guilty As Hell works for me but for the most part... no.

And try as I might the last Rush album just blurs into a memory of over processed guitars. No dynamics, no tunes really. No wonder people like the last track. What a relief... (And I still really like Rush).

Somethings don't really take off (Rattle That Lock) but love On An Island. The album sequel to Fat Old Sun for me.

I had heard early Journey and thought they were great. I'd heard so much about Journey that a while back I should find out what the fuss was about. Alas I'll never know. 4 songs in to the compilation and I knew I could not take any more.

Oh I know. I shelled out once for the first two Tool albums. I now have 100,000 Days but those first two were exchanged for Camel CDs before I got the hump anymore. 
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 07:48
For me, it was "Heart to Heart" by Pete Bardens.

I loved Camel, especially the keyboards, so when I found it in the bargain bin of a record store I thought "what could go wrong?"

Hmm.  Camel it's not...

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 07:54
I peed on an electric fence and didn't realize that the charge can travel up the stream of piss and shock me like a MF LOL

Also, i got rid of my thousands of cassettes only to find after the fact that quite a few had never been released onto CDs. I did have a good vinyl collection but most of that got stolen in a storage unit theft which i regret ever setting foot in Cry

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>