Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that took you the longest time to get into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs that took you the longest time to get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 03:17
Flying colours-Tull
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 18:58
Kind of sideways on the subject.I think the mood you are in personally at the time you first listen to something new can affect your like for it.
I have found that something that did not interest me that much changed when I was in a different mind frame so to speak .
As far as direct not like to love some music I can’t say that has happened to me.
It might have but I can’t recall one specifically.Certainly the album growing more and more after several listens is a common thing for sure.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2018 at 23:26
Tangerine Dream, the whole stuff. For now I love the title track of Phaedra. More to come, I hope.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 06:57
Aphrodite's Child's Infinity. First couple of times I heard this was outside of the album, because peeps often find it funny to post in threads pertaining to generally weird music. It's not a "fave" now as much as I find it to be an integral part of the album...it makes sense in the context of 666.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 10:31
That Popeye the Sailor Man song was a real pain in the ass.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:13
The whole In a Glass House album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2018 at 11:23
It's been over 44 years and I'm still trying to get into sides 2, 3, and 4 of Tales Of Topographic Oceans...

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:17
Not a song(s) but an album. Phil Manzanera/801's Listen Now was repeatedly foisted on me by a prog afficianado-friend when it came out, and I viewed it as more pop than prog. One listening finally came about when I truly saw the light. The album's a fine mix of several styles, not least of which is prog. For the uninitiated, give City of Light a go.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 12:41
There was that one Billy Joel song...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 17:00
^That's too easy - Piano Man!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 03:43
"Wondering" by VdGG. I am a big VdGG fan, but somehow that song always seemed too pompous for me. It made click at the VdGG reunion concert at the Royal Festival Hall on May 6th 2005, which Jean and I attended (we got tickets from the black market; don't ask me what we paid for them). "Wondering" was the second and last encore, and it somehow was the perfect end for the concert, especially since with the ending it went full circle with the beginning of the concert, "Undercover Man".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 03:52
Seriously, the 80’s epitome - Too Shy, by none other than KAJAGOOGOO.
My sis had this debut album of theirs for decades.........Having learnt this was Nick Beggs ( Bassist extraordinare and Chapman Stick wizard) first successful band, I listened and listened.....
Great tune from a rather ‘humiliated’ band of the era.
All I can say is ‘just listen and learn’....../if you can !!!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

What are songs that took you more than three listenings/several months to love, and why do you think you took so long to love it?

For me three listenings / several months wouldn't necessarily count as a lot, at least when I was younger and less experienced as a listener. For instance I bought The Power and the Glory on vinyl when I was about fifteen and just getting into prog - my first GG album and for a long time my last!  Most of it was completely outside my frame of reference, and although I could tell right away that there was brilliance there I couldn't feel it or grok it. That one took me just about four years to get. Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden a few years later also evaded me to start with, but that one only took a couple of years for me to switch on to. 

In some ways I think the more time and patience it takes to 'get' something, the more one is apt to love it when one does Thumbs Up

Edited by Mascodagama - February 16 2018 at 04:09
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 04:37
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread was Igor Wakhevitch...but then again I tend to think of him when topics like this come along. Impenetrable, difficult and highly unorthodox are fairly accurate descriptions of his music, yet that doesn't quite prepare your brain for what is about to happen.
Here's a small bit from my Logos review that perfectly captures my initial beginnings with Igor's music:

-The music is ritualistic and deeply fascinating. It shimmers and lurks with strange hovering almost static segments, where polyphonic musical voices pop up in the most odd of places. Unlike post rock where the crescendo is nigh on foreseeable, you DAAAAAAWWW get the DOOOOOUUMNM feeling BAAAAAAAAAAHHH with DOOOOOOUMM Igor that he seeks to highlight other moments in his music. It's perplexing at first - it even gets annoying - I seem to remember getting furiously angered with myself and the music, because it didn't behave as 'normal' music did. "AAAARGGGHHH!!!!!! Follow the Goddamn rules why dontjah!?!?!?!!"

I did come around though and now consider him to be a true genius.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2018 at 04:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 05:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Aphrodite's Child's Infinity. First couple of times I heard this was outside of the album, because peeps often find it funny to post in threads pertaining to generally weird music. It's not a "fave" now as much as I find it to be an integral part of the album...it makes sense in the context of 666.

I always loved that track. Did you know that originally it was 39 minutes long? The record company did however not want that, especially since this would have turned "666" into a triple album. They also argued that no-one would want to listen to this kind of "music" for 39 minutes. I actually would want to, at least once in a while.

Irene Papas was allegedly on some drug when she performed her vocal contribution, and I very much believe that. You have to be on some kind of drug to go on like this for 39 minutes!

Edited by BaldFriede - February 16 2018 at 12:15

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 05:18

That does not surprise me. She sounds completely deranged on that song. I'm not sure I'm ready for 39 minutes of strange orgasm sounds performed to music...but it'd be fun to hear at least just once.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2018 at 05:19

- Douglas Adams
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 02:30
Close to the Edge is probably a good call for me too. I didn't like it that much at first, neither the song nor the album, now both are among my top 5 favorites of all time.

Edited by TheLionOfPrague - February 18 2018 at 02:32
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:36
Shine on You Crazy Diamond--it took a lot of months and Pink Floyd listens as a whole to get used to it, now it's one of my favourites of theirs. 

Also Starless by King Crimson. I don't even know why I didn't get into it quickly, I mean it's f**king perfect. Maybe it has to do with the fact that at those times I used to tread more in the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock and my ear wasn't really used to prog rock.

Also, a lot of tracks on The Wall (the album). Seriously though, I find it tedious to try and listen it as a whole. Maybe half the tracks here and there I love to listen, but never from beginning to finish. Even if I love Pink Floyd to death my subconscious still reject this particular album.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

That Popeye the Sailor Man song was a real pain in the ass.

LOL

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 19:07
John Cage- 4'33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>