Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen Trump fires Mueller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: What do you think will happen?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [50.00%]
2 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 16:55
Plus we'd had the extremely suspicious murder of a President on the streets of the most hateful city in the world;  The apoplectic and wholly unfounded fear of Communism;  And, god forbid, minorities wanting fair treatment.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 18:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

@Atavachron

As an outsider and based more on my reading of the behaviour of the 'disgruntled with establishment' coalition, I bet they will still vote for Trump cuz "can't stand the corrupt Democrats".  Or some might vote for Gary Johnson or whoever stands on the Libertarian Party ticket in 2020 but that candidate will likely still get too few votes to move the needle (and may end up spoiling the Democrat vote by offering an acceptable non-Democrat alternative).

sorry for the broad brush, but the libertarian party should never be considered an acceptable solution for anyone on the left. 

Not anybody on the left but I am thinking of more centrist, fence-sitter kind of voters.  What I mean is people who don't want establishment candidates from either major party and are disgusted by Trump may vote for a Libertarian Party candidate.  So these too are votes that the Democratic Party could have won.  And I think if the Democratic Party is automatically associated with the left, that in itself is a symptom of the problem.  Many of their policies are right of centre anyway but they have a vocal left wing which I suspect may be affecting their broader appeal.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:03
If you take Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, three of the MidWest states that lost Clinton the 2016 election, Johnson's votes were the victory margin (or more) between Trump and Clinton. That is kind of what I am driving at.  These have been Democrat states for two decades and the votes Clinton lost to a third party candidate were also crucial in determining the outcome.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:13
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Plus we'd had the extremely suspicious murder of a President on the streets of the most hateful city in the world;  The apoplectic and wholly unfounded fear of Communism;  And, god forbid, minorities wanting fair treatment.

umm hmmm

Originally posted by Micky Micky wrote:

Plus we'd had Congressional members of both parties gunned down on the streets of the most hateful country in the world;  The apoplectic and wholly unfounded fear of Islam;  And, god forbid, minorities wanting fair treatment.

as I said...   we ain't there yet.. but closer than I suspect than many of you may think.

and .. to bring it all back home.  The Trump investigation and Mueller could be the denaotor.. exposing BOTH fractures at the same time... Progressives wanting him GONE.. while Dem moderates playing it cool... Rep moderates wanting him gone.. while Trumpists led by Fox and right wing media claim it is all a FBI hit job.

Edited by micky - March 25 2018 at 19:18
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:23

If you take Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, three of the MidWest states that lost Clinton the 2016 election, Johnson's votes were the victory margin (or more) between Trump and Clinton. That is kind of what I am driving at.  These have been Democrat states for two decades and the votes Clinton lost to a third party candidate were also crucial in determining the outcome.

that is why I think Trumps chances in 2020 are highly overrated... he has to hold ALL of his support.. and he is has lost about 6% of his support it seems..  40% will not win an election.. it gets you crushed...and yet account for the energized and highly motivated Democratic base that passed on Hillary for many reasons and will be HIGHLY highly motivated to see Trump gone.

all things being equal.. assuming the Democrats don't nominate another completely flawed and utterly dislikeable candidate in 2020.. and I don't see that happening.. Trump gets crushed in 2020.  He barely won in 2016 against Hillary f**king Clinton whom even many Democrats were not happy with. 

but also why I am highly wary of a war of political convience being started.. my money is on Iran.. prior to the election. Trump might be a dangerous fool.. but not a completely stupid one.. he knows his support is slipping and the one sure way to win reeletion... is to be a sitting wartime President. We have NEVER voted one out of office...  even W won reelection for God's sake haha

Edited by micky - March 25 2018 at 19:25
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that is why I think Trumps chances in 2020 are highly overrated... he has to hold ALL of his support.. and he is has lost about 6% of his support it seems..  40% will not win an election.. it gets you crushed...and yet account for the energized and highly motivated Democratic base that passed on Hillary for many reasons and will be HIGHLY highly motivated to see Trump gone.

all things being equal.. assuming the Democrats don't nominate another completely flawed and utterly dislikeable candidate in 2020.. and I don't see that happening.. Trump gets crushed in 2020.  He barely won in 2016 against Hillary f**king Clinton whom even many Democrats were not happy with. 

but also why I am highly wary of a war of political convience being started.. my money is on Iran.. prior to the election. Trump might be a dangerous fool.. but not a completely stupid one.. he knows his support is slipping and the one sure way to win reeletion... is to be a sitting wartime President. We have NEVER voted one out of office...  even W won reelection for God's sake haha

Unfortunately, your fear may come true because it's what happened last time.  There are similarities between Dubya and Trump if people ignore the vocabulary (which is really not very important in the larger scheme of things).  Bush pulled USA out of the Kyoto Protocol and also imposed steel tariffs. It's amazing how the passage of time can make some people misty-eyed with nostalgia about ANYTHING.  Bush was quite terrible, good God! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 19:49

Unfortunately, your fear may come true because it's what happened last time.  There are similarities between Dubya and Trump if people ignore the vocabulary (which is really not very important in the larger scheme of things).  Bush pulled USA out of the Kyoto Protocol and also imposed steel tariffs. It's amazing how the passage of time can make some people misty-eyed with nostalgia about ANYTHING.  Bush was quite terrible, good God! *emotici-snip*

oh don't get me started on that...  

trickle down economics anyone..   failed twice... basic human nature.. give the rich more money.. and they keep it.. it does NOT trickle down...

bah....took Obama years to clean up which he never fully got credit for after W.... yet Trump sold it like snake oil again.... to his poor forgetful ignorant supporters

love the tweet about Ryan's housekeeper getting an extra 2 dollars on her paycheck thanks to the tax cut.. 
that is how stupid they .. not think.. KNOW their supporters are.  All while the very rich get richer.. and are damn sure keeping it.  

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 20:20
^Yes...my brother (a history teacher) always used to say how it amazed him that so many right wing middle class and redneck people in the US voted for the Republican right wing rich candidates , like Trump,  when it was against their best interests  to do so. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 20:26
easy answer...  to get back into this again

they don't vote economics... they vote social issues... they care about more about God, guns, and the loss of white Christian America then their own economic wellfare.

to what subject did trump flip the script the other night when getting punished on the economic news ...  yep.. hitting on those evil gays and transsexuals in the military.

Red meat social issues for the right wing morons, bigots and racists that don't make up all of his support.. just a great deal of it.

Edited by micky - March 25 2018 at 20:30
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 02:34
From what I've learned about the American voting system, it's entirely possible that Trump gets 20% of all votes and still remains president.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 03:08
Okay guys this is looking awfully familiar, maybe start a new American Politics thread so you can start talking about this stuff again indefinitely?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:41
^ yeah.. what of it. what are you going to do..

spank us 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:01
^ Clappy hands ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:02
^ heart 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 21:27
^ LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 01:03

they don't vote economics... they vote social issues... they care about more about God, guns, and the loss of white Christian America then their own economic wellfare.

This again is not a trend restricted to America.  In conversations over coffee, I have heard some of my well off colleagues say it's not just economics, culture is also important.  So, yes, identity is unfortunately at the very forefront of the discussion and it shouldn't be.  The only worthwhile reason to have a democratic nation state is to run an administration where views across the spectrum are accommodated in so far as they aren't against the values embraced by the nation over a period of time. One's own identity, be it whatever, has very little to do with it and attempting to satisfy every identity group will only tear the administration apart.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 11:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I can hear Phil Ochs penning a song called 'When Trump Fired Mueller'.  Where are the folk singers when you need 'em.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:52

This again is not a trend restricted to America.  In conversations over coffee, I have heard some of my well off colleagues say it's not just economics, culture is also important.  So, yes, identity is unfortunately at the very forefront of the discussion and it shouldn't be.  The only worthwhile reason to have a democratic nation state is to run an administration where views across the spectrum are accommodated in so far as they aren't against the values embraced by the nation over a period of time. One's own identity, be it whatever, has very little to do with it and attempting to satisfy every identity group will only tear the administration apart.

oh no.. of course not.. I'll blame America fairly.. even unfairly for most the troubles of the world haha.. I suppose we are behind most of it anyway.. but not on this.  Merely a symptom of a larger reaction...  the pushback on globalism. Both economically and socially. Brexit and Trump were merely expressions of the fear many have of globalism. The loss of economic independence and social homogeneity...and the instinct to try to withdraw back into themselves.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 07:09
^They used to call that Isolationism or Nationalism.....or worse terms.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:01
which makes it all the crazier and more sad.. seeing how it is taking root in Europe.  Seems lessons not learned... but likely doomed to be repeated. Unfortunately the world may not be able to count on us to bail it out again haha..  we got the Der Fuhrer wannabe thing going here and still 40 percent of our population is still too stupid.. or blinded by partisanship to see how their party has crashed and burned ideologically and the only thing they have to hang their hats on is furthering hated, fear and division of others. As we've seen.. given the keys of power.. they have zero notions of what to do.. or how to do it.. other than of course enriching the corporate class..

so this country is broken.. no big secret there..

so who will it be this time that saves the world haha.. likely will have to be the f**king Chinese
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>