FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTF Phil ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 10:12
Bruford always sounded bitter to me, regardless of the era. But a great drummer hands down.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 09:28
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.

After reading Bruford's autobiography I had the impression that he didn't give up primarily for his lower back issues...more for the fact that he became so bitter and disillusioned with the industry and the stress of leading his own bands.  It's a strange book...the first half is exciting and fun, the second half hard to read as it's just plain sad Ouch
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 22:53
Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 21:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

My question is how did he sound? How was the music? I don't care how old he is or what he looks like. He appears fragile and has clearly had a rough time of it. I saw Ravi Shankar, B.B. King and Andres Segovia when they were well into their 80s and they gave excellent performances. What each one had lost in terms of fire they gained in soul. Granted, there were no laser light shows or anything like that, but that just brings me back to my original question - how did it all sound? We all age and some of us get beat up in the process. The heart of the artist moves on and incorporates the changes.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

"....You STAND there with your fixed expression..."

I was thinking the same exact thing. He looks like the old man character that Peter Gabriel used to do during the Musical Box. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Phil Collins ruined old age.....

yeah man.... after seeing those pics yesterday I picked up an extra carton of Winstons and 2 extra bottles of Jack...  and one nasty ass grease laden cheese steak.  That voodoo priestess told me that I didn't have long left on this earth.. yet I haven't been able to kill myself yet... and more than death I fear looking like Phil Collins, EVH.. or simply pissing and drooling on myself while the nursing home crew is out back smoking dope...

f**k old age...
Oh, you are a caution.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:49
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:48

Cristian Vander still strong and on fire at 70 years of age.  Most importantly, creative juices have not dried up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJjValFQq4

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

How old is Phil ?
67 ???
Nik Turner is pushing 80 and still bouncing around...........
f**k, Ozzy is doing fine (relatively).
Poor Phil. Gosh, don’t we all think we’re invincible in our youth....?

I can't believe he can still stand (somewhat) upright!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:42
no sh*t...  what he did compose is the middle drum section..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:41
Carl Palmer did not compose "Toccata". It is by Ginastera.

"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

yeah man.... after seeing those pics yesterday I picked up an extra carton of Winstons and 2 extra bottles of Jack...  and one nasty ass grease laden cheese steak.  That voodoo priestess told me that I didn't have long left on this earth.. yet I haven't been able to kill myself yet... and more than death I fear looking like Phil Collins, EVH.. or simply pissing and drooling on myself while the nursing home crew is out back smoking dope...

f**k old age...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 18:14
^ You're thinking of Bay Toven, the female journalist who broke the Welsh transportation scam in 2009.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Does it matter ?

Absolutely. I actually knew Beethoven. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:32
My question is how did he sound? How was the music? I don't care how old he is or what he looks like. He appears fragile and has clearly had a rough time of it. I saw Ravi Shankar, B.B. King and Andres Segovia when they were well into their 80s and they gave excellent performances. What each one had lost in terms of fire they gained in soul. Granted, there were no laser light shows or anything like that, but that just brings me back to my original question - how did it all sound? We all age and some of us get beat up in the process. The heart of the artist moves on and incorporates the changes.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 13:25
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Hope you get betterHug

Seconded. None of us are getting any younger.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:32
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Oh, aging rockers.  Maybe they remind us of our own mortality.

I'll never forget this sad if completely unfair photo of one of my guitar gods -

Related image

That EVH is only shocling if you know it's him (hadn't really recognized him right away), but otherwise it looks like any ageing rocker

For Collins, it's much more worrysome, though.

I gess that's what he deserves for ruining Genesis, prog and ProgArchives Evil SmilePigClown

Just kidding Phil...Embarrassed

Hope you get betterHug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:15
How old is Phil ?
67 ???
Nik Turner is pushing 80 and still bouncing around...........
f**k, Ozzy is doing fine (relatively).
Poor Phil. Gosh, don’t we all think we’re invincible in our youth....?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:13
^So you noticed the striking resemblance ... Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>