Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTF Phil ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:49
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Phil Collins ruined old age.....

yeah man.... after seeing those pics yesterday I picked up an extra carton of Winstons and 2 extra bottles of Jack...  and one nasty ass grease laden cheese steak.  That voodoo priestess told me that I didn't have long left on this earth.. yet I haven't been able to kill myself yet... and more than death I fear looking like Phil Collins, EVH.. or simply pissing and drooling on myself while the nursing home crew is out back smoking dope...

f**k old age...
Oh, you are a caution.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

"....You STAND there with your fixed expression..."

I was thinking the same exact thing. He looks like the old man character that Peter Gabriel used to do during the Musical Box. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 21:04
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

My question is how did he sound? How was the music? I don't care how old he is or what he looks like. He appears fragile and has clearly had a rough time of it. I saw Ravi Shankar, B.B. King and Andres Segovia when they were well into their 80s and they gave excellent performances. What each one had lost in terms of fire they gained in soul. Granted, there were no laser light shows or anything like that, but that just brings me back to my original question - how did it all sound? We all age and some of us get beat up in the process. The heart of the artist moves on and incorporates the changes.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 22:53
Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 09:28
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Neil Peart and Bruford also threw in the towel. It's hardest for the drummers. That said, Collins has probably also contracted big band itis and just got washed up. McLaughlin was 70 when I saw him and he was better than ever. Came over earlier this year but sadly on a weekday and had to give it a miss but I am sure he was brilliant this time too.

After reading Bruford's autobiography I had the impression that he didn't give up primarily for his lower back issues...more for the fact that he became so bitter and disillusioned with the industry and the stress of leading his own bands.  It's a strange book...the first half is exciting and fun, the second half hard to read as it's just plain sad Ouch
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 10:12
Bruford always sounded bitter to me, regardless of the era. But a great drummer hands down.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 10:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Bruford always sounded bitter to me, regardless of the era. But a great drummer hands down.

I think he's just cynical, to be honest. Comes off kind of elitist, but the dude can play a beat or two.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 11:34
Indeed he do!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 14:39
Generation X has been spoiled by many great drummers: Bruford, Copeland, Peart, Chambers, White, Harrison, etc. But we still got Portnoy! (;

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 19:38
Let’s not forget his old bandmate Steve Hackett, who turned 67 last year and is still recording and touring, and still hale and hearty.  His concert in my area last year was the concert of the year.  Okay, it was the only one I attended, but still…

I couldn’t help comparing him to a neighbor of mine who’s the same age and ridden with health issues, largely due a lifelong smoking habit.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 21:25
^ I just saw Steve a few weeks ago, and indeed it was wonderful. Specially the second set, pure Genesis magic. I only wish he had played the whole Shadow of the Hierophant and Cinema Show.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:05
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

Carl Palmer did not compose "Toccata". It is by Ginastera.

Ok, let's talk Carl for a moment. He just turned 68 and he is in incredible shape. He tours more than any other Prog Dinosaur and is still a solid player. Granted he doesn't have the speed he had in the 70's (who does?) but he plays with guys half his age and never falls behind.

Do you think one type of musician (Keys, Drums, Bass etc.) ages harder than another or is it purely genetics or lifestyle?

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 07:39
Hi,

I'm not sure that Christian Vander will stop playing before he breaks one more bass drum petal or gets the bass drum flying off the floor again ... !!! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 14:06
just think of poor and brave sax player Barbara Thompson who suffers from Parkinson's disease. she has to be strapped into a chair to prevent her from falling out of it, and still she plays on

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 14:16
Between Collins, Bruford and Palmer: who promotes the best life as a pop/prog musician ?

(Knowing that C.P. is also on duty as a bouncer , as we can see here )
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 15:44
This guy !

Photos by JD
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 17:25
But these guys are ok too !

Photos by JD

Edited by JD - March 28 2018 at 17:25
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 08:08
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

After reading Bruford's autobiography I had the impression that he didn't give up primarily for his lower back issues...more for the fact that he became so bitter and disillusioned with the industry and the stress of leading his own bands.  It's a strange book...the first half is exciting and fun, the second half hard to read as it's just plain sad Ouch

I had a hard time with it as well, and I'm not sure why he can not say something nice about the music he did in his life, and has completely left it to waste. It's like he was not a part of Fragile, or Close to the Edge, or anything that KC did ... like his own sound and drumming was not existent ... and I simply do not see that at all ... 

I kept thinking that someone that could help him come off more positive would be nice to make the book more interesting and better. But there are some bits that are crazy ... like the small video where he shows you the "same thing", but on two different places, and they sound so different that you never realized that it helped a song ... and it was exactly the same thing on two places. I think he was saying that too much drumming is just cheating, and not about the music itself, and on this part I would agree with him.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:19
I see zero problems with this.

Edited by Polymorphia - March 29 2018 at 09:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>