Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If You're New to Prog, Don't Start With Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 02:02
My father always tells me nobody called it "prog rock" during the prime time of the early to mid 70's. He said everyone just called everything rock and roll with a twist, lol. 

Super jealous that he was basically a stone's throw from Jon Anderson and the rest of Yes on the CTTE/Relayer tours that came through Boston...

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 03:13
The proposition in the thread title becomes better if you remove the words “with Rush”. Getting into prog - why would a person even want to do that? A huge drain on your time (those 20 minute epics won't listen to themselves) and financial resources (yeah, I really do need to drop £30 on that reissue CD of the first Lambert Simnel's Astrolabe LP with the booklet missing, it might never come up on Discogs again!). And all to no tangible benefit, unless you count having friends and family look at you as a harmless but sad and deluded eccentric / potentially dangerous madman and probable pervert as a 'benefit'.

Personally I wish they'd find a cure for it.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 28 2018 at 03:16
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 05:34
^Mmm..I never give it much thought but listening to prog must cost more then listening to straight rock genres. All those Steve Wilson remixes and the endless parade of box sets! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 06:52
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The proposition in the thread title becomes better if you remove the words “with Rush”. Getting into prog - why would a person even want to do that? A huge drain on your time (those 20 minute epics won't listen to themselves) and financial resources (yeah, I really do need to drop £30 on that reissue CD of the first Lambert Simnel's Astrolabe LP with the booklet missing, it might never come up on Discogs again!). And all to no tangible benefit, unless you count having friends and family look at you as a harmless but sad and deluded eccentric / potentially dangerous madman and probable pervert as a 'benefit'.

Personally I wish they'd find a cure for it.

Who wants to be normal anyway? I guess everyone until they realise no such thing exists.

As for the op? Nonsense. If you're a rock n roll fan that comes from a healthy diet of Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden then there is a good chance Rush is THE band to start out your prog rock journey.
Conversely, if you're a sucker for the contemporary rock scene and the older indie stuff, then you should probably look into the modern scene and acts such as Porcupine Tree, Pure Reason Revolution, Pineapple Thief, Airbag, Himmellegeme, Sigur Ros and so forth.

But yeah, if you have an allergic reaction to high pitched male vocals and hard rocking guitar riffs, then it's probably wise to stay clear of Rush. Maybe start out with some Amon Düül ll instead
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 10:35
If you're not new to Prog, don't go on with Rush
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 20:34
That statement about Rush may be a bit short sided.I would approach someone who hasn’t listened to the genre per say by playing some snippets of some classic prog bands and see if anything peaks their curiosity and then start with what ever seemed to be interesting to them.You never know what type of music will spark an interest
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 01:51
I'd ask a new listener what bands they currently enjoy, then try to find a transition from that style and work backwards into classic prog.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 05:22
However, we were never in the position that a "newbie" would find themselves in today....I think I'm learning how to hypnotise myself into liking music I once though of as "unlistenable" - suddenly VDGG and GG are going to become my favourite bands!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 14:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Mmm..I never give it much thought but listening to prog must cost more then listening to straight rock genres. All those Steve Wilson remixes and the endless parade of box sets! LOL

According to Discogs there are 682 versions of the Sgt Pepper album, this includes all formats from 1967-2018 issue dates.
Some entries can be considered duplicates because of different matrix information within the same catalog#.....but a different pressing is a different pressing. Even if the number is 50% less.....

So that is where all your money has gone, the real scam.......LOLClap

Edited by Catcher10 - May 02 2018 at 14:06
starofsirius7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:32
I am new to Prog. I had a bit a misleading journey though. I really liked In the Court of the Crimson King but never listened to other albums and was not aware that it was prog or of anything similar. Years later I got into Yes and when I went searching for more Greg Lake Crimson discovered ELP and then things started to click. To me is seems the average person isn't really aware of Pink Floyd or Rush being prog. I think people should go full throttle so they could easily tell what makes it different and if they like it. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 18:20
[To me is seems the average person isn't really aware of Pink Floyd or Rush being prog.]

I would agree. Yes, those are the two biggest ones probably that have the most non prog fans. However, I would say many fans of these bands also don't know about the term prog(or maybe only have a passing knowledge of it or heard it but never really bothered to research it more)(in order from most non prog fans to least imo):

Jethro Tull
Genesis
Dream  Theater (a lot of fans probably just think of them as metal and that's it)
Yes (many fans probably just think of them as classic rock)
ELP (ditto above)
Porcupine Tree
King Crimson
Gentle Giant (I doubt many GG fans don't know what prog is but thought I would put them at the end of the list anyway since there are probably some who knew them back in the day that never really figured out what prog is).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 09 2018 at 18:22
starofsirius7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 20:40
As a new fan i'm not that knowledgeable but to me most of that list are classic prog staples. I think if a non prog fan listened to everyone on that list they would "get it" but I see your point. I'm 26 and my mom is in her 40's and I wanted to get her into Prog but so far i have not been that successful. She did like some ELP though. I also know of some younger ELP fans. Anyways that list pretty much got me into it.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 08:45
One problem with getting into any genre of music is actually relying on someone else to do the work for you. No one knows what sounds you’re gravitating towards. The best thing to do is to do some broad sampling. Everything from Genesis to Henry Cow to Gentle Giant to Premiata Forneria Marconi. If you don’t find anything you like, then it’s quite possible that progressive rock just isn’t for you.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 02 2018 at 08:46
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 13:51
Is there such a thing as a 'starter band'?
Think it usually depends on who you heard or got into first and if it inspired you to try other bands.
Or if someone was there to guide you to progressive rock bands.

In my case it was Marillion that was my gateway into progressive rock when I was 15/16 in 1984/5
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

One problem with getting into any genre of music is actually relying on someone else to do the work for you. No one knows what sounds you’re gravitating towards. The best thing to do is to do some broad sampling. Everything from Genesis to Henry Cow to Gentle Giant to Premiata Forneria Marconi. If you don’t find anything you like, then it’s quite possible that progressive rock just isn’t for you.

Great selection there...  Also Camel, ELP ( Earlier albums) , Stackridge
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 14:25
Don't start with:

Dream Theater
Queensryche
Radiohead
Tool
Muse
Umphrey's McGee

Ok to start with:

ELP
Jethro Tull
Porcupine Tree
Peter Gabriel
Rick Wakeman
Mike Oldfield
The Mars Volta
Kansas
Marillion
Rush
Pink Floyd
Gentle Giant
Moody Blues

Best to start with:

Genesis (70's)
Yes
King Crimson

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 02 2018 at 14:26
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 22:12
^Well, I would say don´t start with ELP, Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta, Marillion or Gentle Giant, just because I think they´re all kind of "cold" part of prog (of course specially Lake-made ELP songs are really warm, but there are also that technical music of Emerson in every album). But of course if instrument acrobatics is what you need, then ELP, Mars Volta & Gentle Giant are excellent choises!

I think also those three bands and specially their seventies output is greatest to start.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 05:17

Finding this site a few years ago really opened my eyes to tons of bands I'd never heard of and I've been sampling ever since. My latest 'finds' that I'm enjoying a great deal are Premiata Forneria Marconi and Salem Hill. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 08:21
I’d say start with The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s and then move onto King Crimson’s In the Court of the Crimson King. Both of these albums were groundbreaking and really got so much of this music going.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 08:25
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Finding this site a few years ago really opened my eyes to tons of bands I'd never heard of and I've been sampling ever since. My latest 'finds' that I'm enjoying a great deal are Premiata Forneria Marconi and Salem Hill. 

Indeed. Premiata Forneria Marconi are awesome! I love that band. Getting into Progressivo Italiano earlier last year, I found all kinds of great bands, although PFM were a band I was already familiar with before I went face-first into that rather large musical pool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>