Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 13:35
And looking at the reviews...I think I'm not mistaken in thinking that it may be a dust collecting CD in many a collection.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 17:34
I don't even own CAS......Why did they quit? Quite simple I suspect, none of them have interest to record anymore albums as a group. Specifically as to why no interest, who knows. Family, other projects, age, don't like each other anymore, any of these might be correct or incorrect.

As music fans all we know is they are no more.....Their catalog is big enough to keep me spinning their vinyl and enjoying their music.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 19:20
I quite liked the song "Calling all Stations", but don't know anything else from that album, and I only liked occasional songs from their pop period
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freudiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 20:04
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........

THIS!!!!

I like this idea, though I don't think Gabriel and Hackett would be up to it.

How about bring in Francis Dunnery or Simon Collins if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett don't come back?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 06:41
^Francis is a good choice and so is Simon but Steve would come back at least from everything he has said
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:43
I remember working with a geezer who lives close to Rutherford in Norfolk. He spoke with him regularly in the local pub. He told me that Banks and Hackett have an enmity that would prevent them from being part of the same band. Plus Banks does not want to perform live and is content with his very private family life. So How about...Tillison / Hackett / Stolt (bass) / Gabriel / Virgilio
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 12:12
Without Phil the big money wasn't there anymore so..
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 16:10
They were been going in different directions over the years, continuing to move away from their common roots in the early 70's. It also become harder to compromise each person's desire (for the other two, in this case), and at the end of the day was not worth it. 

I'm more surprised that they stayed together as long as the did. That's more unusual than calling it quits.

P.S. Tony Banks is an ass to work with. Sorry! Amazing keyboard player, great songwriter, not so good band-mate and team player. And of the Banks-Collins-Rutherford trifecta, Banks was the most difficult for both Gabriel and Hackett, driving them away. The two are too much gentlemanly to call Banks out, but you can read it in their words (such as in the wonderful book "Genesis - We Know What We Like")

Edited by Boojieboy - June 27 2018 at 16:24
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 19:45
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I remember working with a geezer who lives close to Rutherford in Norfolk. He spoke with him regularly in the local pub. He told me that Banks and Hackett have an enmity that would prevent them from being part of the same band. Plus Banks does not want to perform live and is content with his very private family life. So How about...Tillison / Hackett / Stolt (bass) / Gabriel / Virgilio

for me one of the great tragedies of prog is the fact that two of the greatest melodic genius' of the genre--Banks/Hackett who did amazing work together-- don't want to work together--especially Banks working with Hackett--I've heard it in his interviews. Although Hackett seems to insinuate he would give it a go.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 21:23
It is a bit sad. Roger Waters released arguably the best album of his solo career last year; Roger Daltrey released a new album this year with Townshend on it; the Kinks have re-united for a new upcoming album (plus Ray Davies has released 2 albums in the last 2 years); Paul McCartney's got a new album coming out, with 2 decent new singles; the Stones are still going; David Byrne's got a new album out; Robert Plant's last 2 albums are perhaps his best since Led Zeppelin; ELO had a nice comeback recently; Santana & the Isley Brothers released an underrated album last year; Wire, Squeeze, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, David Crosby, & Randy Newman are still going strong. I wish Genesis (Collins & Gabriel) could join their ranks and be relevant again...

Edited by jude111 - June 28 2018 at 09:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:00

It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........

Collins can play as long as its Simon Collins. Darren Reddick put this to Banks in an interview and Banks was clearly stumped by the question presumably having not thought about it before.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:02
Originally posted by freudiana freudiana wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

THIS!!!!

I like this idea, though I don't think Gabriel and Hackett would be up to it.

How about bring in Francis Dunnery or Simon Collins if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett don't come back?

Simon Collins is a drummer like his dad but my vote would be for John Mitchell to replace Steve Hackett.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:05
..and then they could call it 'Genesis Sound Bites'
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:06

I haven't even heard calling all stations....don't think that will change in the next thirty years....

lucky you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 04:20
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

It is a bit sad. Roger Waters released arguably the best album of his solo career last year; Roger Daltrey released a new album this year with Townshend on it; the Kinks have re-united for a new upcoming album; Paul McCartney's got a new album coming out, with 2 decent new singles; the Stones are still going; David Byrne's got a new album out; Robert Plant's last 2 albums are perhaps his best since Led Zeppelin; ELO had a nice comeback recently; Santana & the Isley Brothers released an underrated album last year; Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson, & Randy Newman are still going strong. I wish Genesis (Collins & Gabriel) could join their ranks and be relevant again...
Nice post, Jude, and thanks for the release news on all my old favorites! 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I haven't even heard calling all stations....don't think that will change in the next thirty years....

lucky you
LOL! Rof!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 09:26
Sometimes the brethren at PA can spare you the Listen and despair moments in life....just read the reviews...
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nice post, Jude, and thanks for the release news on all my old favorites! 

My pleasure:) And I left quite a bit off, too: Excellent albums last year by Wire, Paul Weller, Buckingham/McVie, and Squeeze. Besides the Kinks reunion, Ray Davies has a new album coming out, his 2nd in 2 years. David Crosby also had a new album last year, with some decent tunes on it. Judy Collins & Stephen Stills made an album together. It might be my imagination, but it seems like the last 2 years has seen a real rock revival (rock in the 60s-to-90s sense, not metal, which I'm not a fan of). Prior to that, I thought rock was dead, but it's made a nice surprising comeback of late. Some big highlights the past few years include LCD Soundystem, St Vincent (I've become a huge fan), the War on Drugs, Father John Misty, Wolf Alice, recent albums by Hurray for the Riff Raff, Mick Harvey, Barnett/Vile, Foxygen, Laura Marling & the Weather Station, Declan McKenna, Kasabian, Stereophonics, Low Cut Connie, Dent May, Harry Styles, Pond & Tame Impala, etc. I made a Youtube playlist of favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsvSaANzpR8F0K8ch3Ls3RWWbIKVcr3j

Edited by jude111 - June 28 2018 at 10:28
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 14:58
It was time.
High time.
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 20:12
Banks, Rutherford and Hackett would work as a unit... they need a singer though. It would be a totally different project than if Phil or Peter were involved. It would be a kind of lazy retro/reboot Genesis. Hackett could certainly lend a hand, but a lot of it would weigh on Bank's songwriting and Rutherford to be able to sync with the other two in a proggy direction. With Gabriel I think its really hard to say and with Collins it would be radio rock, and Hackett would have no place.

If it was all of them together there's only one thing: Phil and Gabriel sharing vocals (at this point) on a Lamb Lies Down tour. It could happen. They'd need Daryl and Chester, but otherwise it would work out fine. Problem is getting Phil and Gabriel onboard, IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>