Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 19:12
Banks, Hackett and Rutherford with Chester Thompson.....forget the Genesis brand and just get down to a few weeks of jamming to produce a few soundscapes a la the Lamb side 2.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 10:30
All I can say is that I moved on from them a long time ago.  Their good stuff will always be with me but there is plenty of great new artists out there...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 10:33
With Steve Hackett doing his Genesis Revisited material with his superb live band who needs a Genesis reunion.

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:33
I agree - Steve seems to be the only one really interested in continuing in the vein of 70s Genesis and playing the old songs. Why bother with the other guys when he's got a great crew that's passionate about it?
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 17:18
My three-word review of Calling All Stations: drab and dismal. 
-John
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 17:36
I would love it if 80s-90s genesis came back. Probably more than if they tried to a Hackett style revisit of Genesis. They'd have to do it good though. I love We Can't Dance. They just kept getting better and then Collins left. Then they had a total lackluster album with Calling All Stations, in desperate need of some Phil and some confidence that their sound wasn't "dated" and they needed to be more 90s. But the spark may have died somewhere in that decade. Look at Phil's solo career too.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:12
Cry

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 08:52
There is always one....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 09:02
^ No....it's....'there can be only one'...

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 11:06
Originally posted by Luxis Luxis wrote:

> NO GABRIEL, NO GENESIS.
Right, and that's why they lumbered on for another 23 years or so, achieving their greatest fame and success as a happenstance by product.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 17:34
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Right, and that's why they lumbered on for another 23 years or so, achieving their greatest fame and success as a happenstance by product.

Gotta love the absolutists, lol. 

I love Gabriel-era Genesis best, but you're naive if you can't realize they had the majority of their success during their 80's pop rock period.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 05:18
Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we ain't interested in genesis after 1977....
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 07:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we ain't interested in genesis after 1977....

I am
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:10

Speak for yourself here, sir.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

With Steve Hackett doing his Genesis Revisited material with his superb live band who needs a Genesis reunion.

Yeah, you're probably right but there's always the appeal and the romance of getting the original or the iconic band (whichever band that is) back together again, while it's still possible. 

Journey is a great example. The public response to them getting back together in that early 80s configuration would be immense. Of course, I'd prefer the earlier Rolie/Dunbar version myself Big smile

Edited by Jeffro - July 05 2018 at 09:38
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:35
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I would love it if 80s-90s genesis came back. Probably more than if they tried to a Hackett style revisit of Genesis. They'd have to do it good though. I love We Can't Dance. They just kept getting better and then Collins left. Then they had a total lackluster album with Calling All Stations, in desperate need of some Phil and some confidence that their sound wasn't "dated" and they needed to be more 90s. But the spark may have died somewhere in that decade. Look at Phil's solo career too.

I got into Genesis with Abacab and I love that album. I love the self titled album after that and even some of the songs on Invisible Touch but by the time of We Can't Dance, I was done. I can't abide that album but at least it's light years better than the schmaltz Phil was putting out solo. Ugh!

Over the past few years I have fully discovered the earlier catalog of the band. Just amazing stuff. Is one "better" than the other? For me, the poppier 80s stuff can't touch the prog stuff of the 70s. It's indisputable that Genesis was a more successful band in the 80s but I can't say they got better. They got different, for sure, but better? Not for me.

Edited by Jeffro - July 05 2018 at 09:39
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by FXM FXM wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right but there's always the appeal and the romance of getting the original or the iconic band (whichever band that is) back together again, while it's still possible. 

Journey is a great example. The public response to them getting back together in that early 80s configuration would be immense. Of course, I'd prefer the earlier Rolie/Dunbar version myself Big smile

I think Hackett is superb, but I am finding Sylvan's vocals on the Genesis tracks, especially live, rather grating. Annoying, in fact.

That said, the musicianship is excellent.

I have no desire to see a Gabriel era reunion, as much as I adore this period. The man is simply too old to be on stage playing a Puerto Rican punk, an album, and attitude, recorded 43 years ago. It would look damned silly, if you ask me. The music was of a period, and should be left there.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 11:35

Yes. and since this is a prog rock site and not a pop fan boy site that point is irrelevant....we, disdainful prog snobs, ain't interested in genesis after 1977....
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Gotta love the absolutists, lol. 

I love Gabriel-era Genesis best, but you're naive if you can't realize they had the majority of their success during their 80's pop rock period.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am

me too although the ratio of good tracks to bad tracks per album did start to go the wrong way . I love Keep It Dark and play that more than any other Genesis track and not ashamed to admit it...anyone else with me? Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>