Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: Roger Waters' Peak Singing Voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Name the 3 songs Gilmour wrote lyrics for when they were together... "Fat Old Sun" "The Narrow Way" (which he asked Roger to finish, but it wasn't part of the Ummagumma theme).. and "Childhood's End"

Wouldn't Echoes be one of them?? Unless, of course, it's Rick Wright's lyrics...

But we've seen in his two solo albums that his lyrics were no better than Dave's.
Echoes is credited to the whole band, so Rog probably has been doing at least part of those lyrics.

Those are all Roger's lyrics on "Echoes".. Credits include music and lyrics. Rick contributed the Cm-Gm. For a guy with a huge ego, he gave most of the best songs for David to sing. I always thought "the one who sings is the one who wrote" until I became involved with publishing... Roger was pretty generous, with all the other 3 doing solo albums/tour while Rog saved his best for the entire band, even giving Nick Mason a free credit on "Speak To Me" (which turned out to equal millions of $$ for Nick, who did nothing on the track) and the entire band for "Time" when it was Roger who came in with the F#m-A-E-F#m.. I know Roger is making the ticking sound by plucking the high frets of his bass while muted, as well as coming into the verse too soon on purpose, because of the song's theme. Maybe Nick Mason was credited for roto-toms. I'd be very curious to know who did what on my favorite song of all-time.
< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.3">
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 09:46
While David claimed not understanding Roger's lyrics and concepts, he was participating to Rick Davies' no less complicated Brother Where You Bound, which Waters could've easily written as well

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 10:21
"Gilmour yells his lyrics in Comfortably Numb? What did I just say about not listening to the same music?"

I know. LOL  I was like, what did I just read!  Other than that intentional AHHH yelling (which is supposedly Waters), there is no yelling by anybody on that song and definitely not Gilmour.  It's like these folks don't want guys to sing in a high register, like at all.  And it isn't even that high.  It's nice, pleasant, melodic singing. ConfusedLOL  But I seem to recall Bruce Dickinson being dubbed a screamer on here so it's par for the course. 

Actually, with exceptions like Don't Leave Me Now, Waters is better off not singing and resorting to that mean sounding speakeasy.  When he does try to sing full out like The Trial, it's annoying (at least for me).  I can put up with him on Nobody Home but even there when he goes Ooh Babe towards the end, it sounds whiny because he has a very weak high register.  While Waters sang the second half (including last verse) of Dogs in the studio with gusto, Gilmour frequently sang the whole thing live.  Gilmour has sung most of the Floyd repertoire from at least Meddle through to Wall many times live. One song where Gilmour did maybe pull too much chest is Time.  If you take the recent Pompeii performance, he is having to holler it out because he never learnt to sing with a mixed voice.  Off topic, but I would rate Gabriel and Collins both as better singers than either of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123