Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's time for Progressive RAP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 07:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

There's plenty of progressive rap out there - some of it is even listed here on PA. Faust's collab with Dälek for instance... but it contains rock.
All styles of music have the potential of being progressive. Rap, blues, classical, polka, dub-step, klezmer and jazz - I should know - I've heard progressive music in all those genres. PA just concerns itself with the rock part of the equation.

Yeah, thats right but the indo prog/raga rock doesn´t always contain rock IMHO.

Edit: Not a hundred percent sure about some of the electronic ones too.

In general some of the last additions were ... questionable. At first we should ask ourselves is this still rock : D

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - November 11 2018 at 07:35
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 00:04
The closest example would be the Come With Me song Puff ("I don't know no D from no E" Daddy did with Jimmy Page.

I did hear of a rumour which as far as I know has not happened. Jon Andrson doing rap / opera concept something.

All these point toward a negative.

Hip hop does occasionally demonstrate some ability to use the song format. But it's just reinventing the wheel and painfully for the most part.

A pair of words followed by two beats (repeated slowly) is musical impoverishment indeed. The last thing of hip hop I heard...

Currently listening to a Carl Palmer drum solo (Steve Hackett guesting).

No voices, no melodies and only the occasional well timed phrase in it's arsenal.

Big fat no...

rgodfrey53 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgodfrey53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:31

Edited by rgodfrey53 - December 09 2018 at 05:17
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 13:04
^ And the man sometimes referred to as the Godfather of Rap, Gil Scott-Heron (a label he rejected, spoken word proto-hip hop would suit him better)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123