Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

Enjoy the show!  If you've never seen them live in concert, you are in for a life-changing positive experience this evening!  The power and intensity of Magma on stage is something to behold.  I've heard Robert Fripp describe a King Crimson live concert as a "hot date."  I've seen Crimson 3 times in concert over the decades... while excellent, of course, if Crimson is a "hot date" then I'm not sure how to describe Magma live.  (At least, not without getting banned.)

I haven't been following anything Magma recently.  Is McGaw and Bussonnet still playing with them?  I love watching those guys as much as (or more than) Vander.  Bussonnet is just a monster on the bass.  I think the last time I saw them play live McGaw wasn't there, but Bussonnet was.

James Mac Gaw sadly died of a brain tumor on March 8th this year. here a link to the announcement:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/magma-pay-tribute-to-former-guitarist-james-mac-gaw

Edited by BaldJean - October 07 2021 at 12:37

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

James Mac Gaw sadly died of a brain tumor on March 8th this year. here a link to the announcement:

Oh no.  I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Truly a unique and top-notch guitarist.  Thanks for letting me know.  Memory Eternal.

I now have to watch this with renewed respect and sadness - one of my favorite live performances on all of YT:

DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 20:32
Is there a good place to start with Magma? I listened to one of their tracks via YouTube earlier today and it was quite impressive. Definitely want to hear more! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 20:47
Depends on your tastes. Do you remember what you heard (in your browser history?)?

I'd like to suggest this to start from Retrospektïw I-II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH9qRJWLi18

Maybe try Live (Hhai).

I love the debut, and you might start there and work your way up.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 20:51
I'd recommend the album Udu Wudu.  Here's a good track from it...

DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 21:28
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll just start with the first album. Smile
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2022 at 11:10
I'm currently listening to the latest album Kãrtëhl for the first time, sounds good to me. What do you think of it?

Edit: the demo of Dëhndë  is incredible! Could've been a track by Can.

Edited by Tendiwa - October 03 2022 at 06:43
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2022 at 15:25
I like hitler documentaries. I better stop listening to Yes
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789